DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is Tethering Free

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 1
    Officially, tethering is not supported on the original Droid. This means Verizon doesn't even offer a plan at an extra cost. It is available as an extra cost on the DroidX and Droid 2.

Unofficially, there are several apps that allow you to tether the original Droid. But keep in mind that it's against Verizon's TOS (terms of service). IF they catch you, they can charge you on a megabyte basis. That could be a very hefty bill. But current consensus is that Verizon cannot tell if you're browsing pages through your phones browser or your computer, so you should be safe. I've seen people here downloading tons of stuff on their computer using tethering and using up lots of bandwidth and they have no problems.

Feel free to tether, I do. But I just wanted to point out that's it's against your TOS. I used to use PDAnet which allows you to tether using your USB cable or bluetooth. Bluetooth is convenient as you don't need to carry a cable around, but it's not as reliable or fast as using a USB cable. I recently rooted my phone and now use my phone as a wifi hotspot (no cable needed anymore and very fast, but at the cost of using up serious battery juice).
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    I rooted my phone because I needed WiFi tethering (it was one of the reasons the household agreed to foot the cost of the monthly plan for a contract phone), but if you just want USB tethering for one or two PCs then Easy Tether if you don't need Bluetooth Dial-UP Networking or Proxioid if you're comfortable mucking with proxy settings and think $11 is too much to pay.
    tethering the wifi way, does the pc/laptop you use have to have a special software?

i have a company laptop in which i upload files on a daily basis and it would be cool when i am unable to upload the files from work or home due to some unfortunate communication problems, to use my Droid but the bad part is that i dont have adminstrative access to the laptop so i would be unable to install any third party software.

is wifi tethering, the rooted way, as simple as plug and play?
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Twitter
    qsminsd
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    Rooted tethering is free. Using an app from the market is free (other than the cost of the program, they have free trials, Proxoid not included). Wireless tethering requires rooting.
    Is it not possible for someone to create a Wifi Router program on Android phones that doesnt require rooting? (sorry Im new to this..)
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by will.anaya View Post
    tethering the wifi way, does the pc/laptop you use have to have a special software?

is wifi tethering, the rooted way, as simple as plug and play?
    Short answer is yes. Long answer is yes, but not if you can't connect to an ad-hoc network. You can encrypt it if you need to for security reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Z06 View Post
    Is it not possible for someone to create a Wifi Router program on Android phones that doesnt require rooting? (sorry Im new to this..)
    The short answer is yes. The long answer is not anymore, because the exploit that would have made such a program possible has been closed. Also, the carriers would have a raging crap fit over such a program.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links