DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Problem with links in threaded gmails

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Problem with links in threaded gmails

Ok so I have this forum set to email me when there are replies to threads i'm subscribed to, nothing special, so does everyone. When I get a second email for the same thread, gmail groups the two emails as a conversation. Whatever that's also normal. The problem is that the second email is truncated on my droid and the link is not clickable and i can't figure out why. It's not truncated when i go to my gmail account on my computer.
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    246 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    I have the same issue and was glad someone else posted this question. I'm anxious to see if there's a way around it.
  3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Same problem here....
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid by Motorola
    Yup, clearly this is an issue with the Gmail client as it all works perfectly from the browser... even from the browser on the phone. I understand the limiting download stuff, but there should be an option to grab the full message.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I posted same in the Forum Suggestions Forum here...no response. Extra long URLs are abridged in the Gmail client, and become unusable. Wouldn't an easy fix be to put the URL into hypertext links, as opposed to raw URLs?
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    You have to thread back to the first email you received concerning the post you are subscribed to, and the link will be active in that email. All emails subsequent to the first just show the url but it's not a click-able link. It's annoying sometimes and they should fix it (seems like a bug instead of intended) but not difficult to do once you know what to do. Note that even if you delete the first email notification, it's in the trash (label) but still part of the conversation and you can go back to it from within the latest email as long as you haven't emptied the trash.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorla A855
    I would love to see something changed so the link would work on all emails in the conversation thread. I would think that this being a forum for droids we can assume that a very large percentage of people would be using the stock email app and checking forum links from their droid, so this functionality would be great.
  8. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Droids View Post
    You have to thread back to the first email you received concerning the post you are subscribed to, and the link will be active in that email. All emails subsequent to the first just show the url but it's not a click-able link. It's annoying sometimes and they should fix it (seems like a bug instead of intended) but not difficult to do once you know what to do. Note that even if you delete the first email notification, it's in the trash (label) but still part of the conversation and you can go back to it from within the latest email as long as you haven't emptied the trash.
    I simply close the window on gmail or press home button. Then I open the email at my email. The full link is provided there.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Droids View Post
    I simply close the window on gmail or press home button. Then I open the email at my email. The full link is provided there.
    I do the same since I discovered the gmail app limitation. It's not a major problem for me simply because I don't try to manage my email (which is voluminous and full of intricate threads with several contributors) on my phone. Gmail's unique threading approach can be very useful for documenting a complex discussion after the fact, but I don't find it as useful for actively engaging in such conversations. Couple that with the small size of the device and I find the DROID gmail app to be a convenient way to keep up on email but nothing more.

Since I'm seldom without a laptop connection for more than a few hours, I simply wait until I have an opportunity to manage complex threads with a more capable device. (And I use Mozilla's Thunderbird email client to give me a more "Outlook" looking email manager.)
  10. Jer
    Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Evo 4G, Archos 101
    My laptop went down a few weeks ago and I run my own business via the internet and email so these issues are more noticeable to me than it seems for others. I get put off by people who simply find excuses for glaring issues. To not be able to click on an obvious link within an email is an oversight by the fine folks at Google. Period. It needs to be addressed sooner than later. I would much rather have this functionality than additional home pages and different fonts so I'm not sure who's working on what over at Google Android. I would also like to see the ability to copy text from a received email or at least have the ability to show quoted text as an option on replies. At least then I can copy the text from the previous email and then delete the draft.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links