DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: leaving gps on

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Twitter
    VTCapsFan
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus

leaving gps on

does leaving gps on all the time kill the battery

3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Not in my experience. Actively using the receiver (i.e. driving with Google Nav for extended periods of time without a car charger) will kill the battery though.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid (v1)
    Well, generally, no, it should not kill the battery, however, if you have apps that periodically poll the GPS for information, like the Google Browser when it hits Google, or Locale, or such, then it eventually does drain the battery over time because you are actively hitting it for information. As Takeshi has pointed out too, Navigator will heavily use it because it wants to constantly update.
  5. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by alm0614 View Post
    Every additional sub-device you have powered on consumes power, which comes from the battery.

There are 4 radios in the device, the phone transceiver, the wifi transceiver, the bluetooth transceiver, and the GPS receiver. If battery conservation is anywhere near to top of your list of priorities, whatever you don't need should be off. Which of them you decide to power up should be predicated on what you intend to do with the device.
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by racklefratz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alm0614 View Post
    Every additional sub-device you have powered on consumes power, which comes from the battery.

There are 4 radios in the device, the phone transceiver, the wifi transceiver, the bluetooth transceiver, and the GPS receiver. If battery conservation is anywhere near to top of your list of priorities, whatever you don't need should be off. Which of them you decide to power up should be predicated on what you intend to do with the device.
    +1. He's right... anything connecting/trasferring/locating is going to use battery to operate. If you're not using it you'll maintain more battery disabling them.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I used to leave mine off...... now i leave it on. I have not noticed any draw on my battery since leaving it on.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    I have GPS, Wi-Fi, and BlueTooth on all the time. I use the phone and mess around with it all day. I charge it late at night with no problems of it not making it through the day. I'm not browsing and stuff like that hours at a time. I do text and some browsing from time to time, get my e-mails. A lot are from this forum even though I'm on my desktop I still get it on the phone so I check to see what's going on here when I'm reading another thread.
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Yeah I leave mine on all the time. I also use locale which turns on GPS for literally about 5 seconds only, every 10 minutes to check my location and determine if it has to change my phones settings. I do leave wifi and bluetooth off. There is probably a little battery effect but I have no problem making it through the day with the batter unless I use it a lot then I charge it in the car on the way to work

Links