DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Moving files to root of phone using astro manager?

  1. Junior Droid
    rvcafighter's Avatar
    Member #
    111777
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9
    Phone
    htc incredible
    #1

    Moving files to root of phone using astro manager?

    I downloaded the manual froyo update from 'http://www.droid-life.com/2010/08/31/manual-update-droid-incredible-to-android-2-2/" but it says you need to move the downloaded file from sd card to root of phone. I have no clue what I am doing, and I'm pretty sure I cant do it via computer, because I have a mac. So I was wondering if it was possible to move the download to root of phone using astro file manage or whatever its called. Any help would be tremendously appreciated!
  2. Rescue Squad
    Tallica's Avatar
    Member #
    48266
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Middleboro, MA
    Posts
    3,259
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    Tallica21
    Phone
    GSIII-Rooted
    Premium Member
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by rvcafighter View Post
    I downloaded the manual froyo update from 'http://www.droid-life.com/2010/08/31/manual-update-droid-incredible-to-android-2-2/" but it says you need to move the downloaded file from sd card to root of phone. I have no clue what I am doing, and I'm pretty sure I cant do it via computer, because I have a mac. So I was wondering if it was possible to move the download to root of phone using astro file manage or whatever its called. Any help would be tremendously appreciated!
    using astro cut and paste from download folder to root of sdcard
  3. Junior Droid
    rvcafighter's Avatar
    Member #
    111777
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9
    Phone
    htc incredible
    #3
    Thanks for such a quick response! However, you really need to dumb it down for me, as I do not understand the terminology. I don't even know what the root of the phone is exactly, or where to find it.
  4. Super Moderator/RS
    mwhartman's Avatar
    Member #
    27806
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    South FL
    Posts
    10,730
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    #4
    I have a Droid and a Mac. I am able to connect/mount my Droid to my Mac and view my SD card. I am able to move, copy, delete, or rename any file.

    I'm not sure if the Incredible limits you but try. When connected a white drive will appear on your Mac's screen. Double click and you should be able to view your SD card. When you are finished do a right mouse click and unmount.

    The root of your SD card means the file must be a separate file.

    Mike
  5. Rescue Squad
    Tallica's Avatar
    Member #
    48266
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Middleboro, MA
    Posts
    3,259
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    Tallica21
    Phone
    GSIII-Rooted
    Premium Member
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by rvcafighter View Post
    Thanks for such a quick response! However, you really need to dumb it down for me, as I do not understand the terminology. I don't even know what the root of the phone is exactly, or where to find it.
    Ok, from within astro, longpress on the file you want to move and select either cut or move then navigate to the root of your sd card (which means on the card but not in any folder) then paste.
  6. Junior Droid
    R Droid's Avatar
    Member #
    100092
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    27
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #6
    To move the update.zip to the root of your SD card, do the following:
    - Open Astro File Manager
    - Enter the Downloads folder
    - Press and hold on the update.zip file
    - Select "Edit" and then "Copy"
    - Now press the "Astro Up" button once which will take the root directory
    - Press the "Astro Edit" button followed by "Paste"
    The update.zip file should now be in the root directory.
    cmorty72 likes this.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy ****, what a ride!"
  7. Junior Droid
    rvcafighter's Avatar
    Member #
    111777
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9
    Phone
    htc incredible
    #7
    It doesn't let me use the option of pasting anything on the root of the phone :/
  8. Rescue Squad
    Tallica's Avatar
    Member #
    48266
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Middleboro, MA
    Posts
    3,259
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    Tallica21
    Phone
    GSIII-Rooted
    Premium Member
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by R Droid View Post
    To move the update.zip to the root of your SD card, do the following:
    - Open Astro File Manager
    - Enter the Downloads folder
    - Press and hold on the update.zip file
    - Select "Edit" and then "Copy"
    - Now press the "Astro Up" button once which will take the root directory
    - Press the "Astro Edit" button followed by "Paste"
    The update.zip file should now be in the root directory.

    There you go, sorry i use Root Explorer
  9. Junior Droid
    rvcafighter's Avatar
    Member #
    111777
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9
    Phone
    htc incredible
    #9
    Ok, I was able to hook it up to my mac. Now I dont know where to move the downloaded file to, how do I find the root?
  10. Super Moderator/RS
    mwhartman's Avatar
    Member #
    27806
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    South FL
    Posts
    10,730
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    #10
    On your SD card you will see several files with yellow folders. You do NOT want to put the new file in one of those. The easiest way drag the file from your desktop to the icon on your desktop that represents your phone the computer is smart enough to put the new file on the root and not in a folder.

    Mike
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. help with phone memory and moving files
    By nacho220 in forum Droid X Tech Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-31-2010, 09:52 AM
  2. Astro Manager Custom Rom
    By Dnomyar in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-19-2010, 09:15 AM
  3. sending files from astro....?
    By itwerk in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-05-2010, 01:46 AM
  4. How to use astro file manager
    By pc747 in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2010, 10:12 AM
  5. Using astro to install .apk files
    By bishop7262 in forum Android Hacks and Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-20-2010, 12:35 PM

Search tags for this page

astro file manager root

,
copy file root folder android
,
copy file to android root
,
how to copy file to root folder android
,
how to copy files to root directory android
,
how to copy files to root of sd card android
,
how to copy update.zip in root folder
,
how to move file to root folder android
,
how to move files to root directory android
,
paste update root folder
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+