DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: 3g vs Wifi

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

3g vs Wifi

My droid seems to work fine with the 3g network and without turning on Wifi. What is the advantage to having wifi on? Will internet access be faster? Which service uses less battery power?

Thanks!

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    It depends on where you are. There are lots of places with wifi where I don't get a 3G signal, it's nice to have the alternative.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    My droid seems to work fine with the 3g network and without turning on Wifi. What is the advantage to having wifi on? Will internet access be faster? Which service uses less battery power?

Thanks!
    I've found it to be MUCH faster. Never thought I'd want Wifi in a device, but, for example, I was downloading a large program the other night, switched to wifi, and watched it FLY!

Also, if you're into uploading to YouTube, Wifi is the only way to do it for certain video sizes/qualities.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid (v1)
    The benefits of WiFi over 3G is that for most users who want to Download something network wise, especially not using the USB cable from your own network, you are accessing your shares directly and wirelessly. You cannot do that through a 3G network without setting up a decent VPN/remote connection, and even then, as a serious computer user, you don't want to be connecting to your network from the outside without some serious security or you introduce a lot of issues at home or on your network.

WiFi also does not impact on your data service. If you are trying to go for the 'pay as you go' or cheaper data plan, downloading via WiFi will not count towards your datapull, as you are using WiFi networks instead of their service to pull data down.

The last benefit is to 'mimic' the AT&T commercial. To do Voice and Data at the same time. The current Verizon and Sprint networks uses CDMA Wireless technology. CDMA currently does not support doing Data and Voice at the same time. Having WiFi connected to a wireless router, allows the CDMA radio to do standard Voice and using WiFi for data if you REALLY need to do Voice and data at the same time.

The drawbacks of the WiFi is basically, you can only use it if there is a Wireless Access Point available to link up to.

Links