DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: "Android" Phones as Opposed to "Droid" Phones. What the heck?

  1. Droid
    pdmike's Avatar
    Member #
    110643
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    56
    Phone
    Droid X
    #1

    "Android" Phones as Opposed to "Droid" Phones. What the heck?

    I thought there were only three, basic Droid models: Droid X, Droid Incredible and Droid 2. (Plus the original Droid - I guess it was called 1, right?)

    Yet, when you go onto the Verizon Web site, they list two or three additional phones which they say are "Android" phones. These phones are significantly cheaper than any of the three, Droid models.

    What are these additional, "Android" phones? They can't be anywhere near as good as the "Big 3" Droid models.

    What gives?
  2. RS/Moderator
    Abe21599's Avatar
    Member #
    18400
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    6,334
    Liked
    71 times
    Phone
    S3, G2, M8
    Premium Member
    #2
    android is the operating system these phones run (including the droids)

    droid, droid 2, droid incredible are just names that verizon gave to the phone
  3. Droid
    pdmike's Avatar
    Member #
    110643
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    56
    Phone
    Droid X
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Abe21599 View Post
    android is the operating system these phones run (including the droids)

    droid, droid 2, droid incredible are just names that verizon gave to the phone
    OK, but based on price alone, I would have to assume that the X, Incredible and 2 have to be far superior to the "lesser" android phones, right?
  4. Master Droid
    eliassami5's Avatar
    Member #
    7202
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, Cali
    Posts
    775
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #4
    Android is the operating system
    Droid is a brand name they give to select phones

    Droid Eris
    Droid 1
    Droid Incredible
    Droid X
    Droid 2

    There are many other Android phones that aren't branded by the Droid logo, like the evo 4g, samsung captivate, LG Ally, Motorola Devour...the list goes on. There are about 50-60 different phones that run the Android Operating system.
  5. RS/Moderator
    Abe21599's Avatar
    Member #
    18400
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    6,334
    Liked
    71 times
    Phone
    S3, G2, M8
    Premium Member
    #5
    haha didnt u look at what i posted on your other thread? it lists all the specs

    as of now, the DX and the D2 are the top of the line in phones but its all on what you want to spend and your preference
  6. Master Droid
    eliassami5's Avatar
    Member #
    7202
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, Cali
    Posts
    775
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by pdmike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Abe21599 View Post
    android is the operating system these phones run (including the droids)

    droid, droid 2, droid incredible are just names that verizon gave to the phone
    OK, but based on price alone, I would have to assume that the X, Incredible and 2 have to be far superior to the "lesser" android phones, right?
    The higher the MSRP the better hardware the phone will most likely come with. That doesn't mean a cheaper phone is not better than a more expensive phone.
  7. Master Droid
    eliassami5's Avatar
    Member #
    7202
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, Cali
    Posts
    775
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Abe21599 View Post
    haha didnt u look at what i posted on your other thread? it lists all the specs

    as of now, the DX and the D2 are the top of the line in phones but its all on what you want to spend and your preference
    The Droid X, Incredible, Droid 2, EVO 4G, the 4 Samsung phones soon to be released are the best you can get right now.
  8. RS/Moderator
    Abe21599's Avatar
    Member #
    18400
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    6,334
    Liked
    71 times
    Phone
    S3, G2, M8
    Premium Member
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by eliassami5 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Abe21599 View Post
    haha didnt u look at what i posted on your other thread? it lists all the specs

    as of now, the DX and the D2 are the top of the line in phones but its all on what you want to spend and your preference
    The Droid X, Incredible, Droid 2, EVO 4G, the 4 Samsung phones soon to be released are the best you can get right now.
    i just picked out of what he listed
  9. XOOM RS Team Lead
    fish1552's Avatar
    Member #
    47771
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Savannah area of Coastal Georgia, USA
    Posts
    652
    Liked
    36 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    Phone
    MOTO X + Nexus 7
    Premium Member
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by eliassami5 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Abe21599 View Post
    haha didnt u look at what i posted on your other thread? it lists all the specs

    as of now, the DX and the D2 are the top of the line in phones but its all on what you want to spend and your preference
    The Droid X, Incredible, Droid 2, EVO 4G, the 4 Samsung phones soon to be released are the best you can get right now.
    I gotta disagree. The Droid 1 is the best one. I can do so much more than with the other phones, so that makes it much more valuable to me and a great many others. Have Droid the Apple way (locked down) or Droid 1 my way.



  10. Junior Droid
    wademvp91's Avatar
    Member #
    52981
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    24
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #10
    Basically its like cars. The LG Ally, Motorola Devour etc. are the corolla's or civics of Android Phones. While Verizon's "Performance" line consists of State-of-the-Art Devices such as the Original Droid, and then the Droid X. They are the Lambo's of Android devices, if you will
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-17-2010, 06:44 AM
  2. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-04-2010, 01:17 PM
  3. A "Real Life" Guide to Android Phones
    By keeppace in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-04-2010, 06:51 AM
  4. How long will the Droid be one of the "it" phones?
    By gevmack23 in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-18-2010, 11:18 PM
  5. "Europeans shy away from Google Android phones"
    By Anomander in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-06-2009, 05:01 PM

Search tags for this page

cell phone price markup
,

droid phones

,
droid razr maxx vibrate then ring
,

list of droid phones

,
vibrate then ring android
,
vibrate then ring captivate
,
vibrate then ring nexus s
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+