DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: My battery issue - Fixed!

  1. Droid
    droid100's Avatar
    Member #
    8875
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    90
    Phone
    Droid
    #1

    Thumbs up My battery issue - Fixed!

    I found the problem with my battery.

    First off, im not crazy, my battery life was definitely poor. I was getting <12hrs of life out of the phone with 100% charge. I did everything imaginable to try and extend the life but couldnt get it to beyond 10hrs of service... i even called support, and opened a case, but they never got back to me.(Whats up with that?)

    Anyway, I tested the phone by task-killing all applications, everything, and it looks like it worked.

    The life is now excellent! I turned most of my services back on, and even at the 12hr mark, I had a remaining 60%.

    I found that it was my chat client that was draining the battery.

    Im not sure what the issue is but meebo and ebuddy both KILL my battery. I switched to google talk and everything has been working since... its such a pain that I cant use an MSN client, since all my contacts use it, but at least my phone will last through the evening.

    Dont bother with anything but google talk. ALL the MSN or AIM clients are shoddy. Id be willing to pay 10-15$ for an app that is guaranteed not to drain the battery and keeps me reliably logged into msn.

    Pretty frustrating stuff.
  2. Droid
    evil_O's Avatar
    Member #
    12456
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    70
    Phone
    Droid
    #2
    ^^^Good info. Thanks.
  3. Droid
    jamiehughes's Avatar
    Member #
    13248
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    aurora,co
    Posts
    42
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    #3
    verizon already replaced my battery, but mine was going dead in like 4 hours, with nothing running, so there are some problem batteries out there.
  4. Master Droid
    keiichi25's Avatar
    Member #
    1034
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    364
    Phone
    Motorola Droid (v1)
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiehughes View Post
    verizon already replaced my battery, but mine was going dead in like 4 hours, with nothing running, so there are some problem batteries out there.
    Well, it is not saying that there is no such thing as bad batteries, however, I would suggest looking over how you have your phone setup.

    While you saying nothing is running, consider that if you have your pop mail setup beyond the G-mail, that may be a problem.

    Do you leave GPS/WiFi/Bluetooth on? Those will also drain the battery in the process.

    It isn't simply making sure you have 'nothing running', but using an app like TasKiller to show what things might be running or certain settings being higher than they should, would contribute to battery life being short.
  5. Master Droid
    keiichi25's Avatar
    Member #
    1034
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    364
    Phone
    Motorola Droid (v1)
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by droid100 View Post
    I found the problem with my battery.

    First off, im not crazy, my battery life was definitely poor. I was getting <12hrs of life out of the phone with 100% charge. I did everything imaginable to try and extend the life but couldnt get it to beyond 10hrs of service... i even called support, and opened a case, but they never got back to me.(Whats up with that?)

    Anyway, I tested the phone by task-killing all applications, everything, and it looks like it worked.

    The life is now excellent! I turned most of my services back on, and even at the 12hr mark, I had a remaining 60%.

    I found that it was my chat client that was draining the battery.

    Im not sure what the issue is but meebo and ebuddy both KILL my battery. I switched to google talk and everything has been working since... its such a pain that I cant use an MSN client, since all my contacts use it, but at least my phone will last through the evening.

    Dont bother with anything but google talk. ALL the MSN or AIM clients are shoddy. Id be willing to pay 10-15$ for an app that is guaranteed not to drain the battery and keeps me reliably logged into msn.

    Pretty frustrating stuff.
    Yes. I would recommend doing a 'search' on Battery Life and there is a posting I put up in the Tech forum about understanding Battery Life. One of the things I mentioned there is things such as IM clients being left logged in is sort of a bad thing.

    The reason you don't want to leave IM on, on any phone, is the inherent design of IM. When you are logged in, it needs to 'ping' the server to say, "This person is online." It will do it constantly.

    Things like that is considered 'talk time', even if you aren't actively using it, it is still pinging away at a more steady rate than anything else. With it doing that, and more clients doing it, the more you rack up 'talk time' usage on your phone as far as the battery is concerned.

    Remember, most phones are 'passive' with regards to how it handles things. It listens, not 'asks for' information. When a celltower broadcasts says, "Hey, I got something for you..." Your phone responds.

    IM clients, on the other hand is having your phone go, "Hey, I'm still connected." So it isn't as 'passive' anymore. And mind you, this is the design of IM where people can loose connection from time to time, so it needs to know that you are 'here' more often than you think.
  6. Droid
    jamiehughes's Avatar
    Member #
    13248
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    aurora,co
    Posts
    42
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by keiichi25 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiehughes View Post
    verizon already replaced my battery, but mine was going dead in like 4 hours, with nothing running, so there are some problem batteries out there.
    Well, it is not saying that there is no such thing as bad batteries, however, I would suggest looking over how you have your phone setup.

    While you saying nothing is running, consider that if you have your pop mail setup beyond the G-mail, that may be a problem.

    Do you leave GPS/WiFi/Bluetooth on? Those will also drain the battery in the process.

    It isn't simply making sure you have 'nothing running', but using an app like TasKiller to show what things might be running or certain settings being higher than they should, would contribute to battery life being short.
    yea, i dont use or have wi-fi on, nor the gps, nor the bluetooth, i know how to shut off or kill these apps, and i have turned all the email auto syncs off. it was def a battery prob as it worked fine the day before, and now it seems to hold up really good, hopefully it keeps it up. and i like the task killer app, it does seem to really conserve battery life
  7. RS Lead
    dezymond's Avatar
    Member #
    3167
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Posts
    10,400
    Liked
    1046 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    #7
    Battery has seemed to improved after the 2.0.1 update. Usually I charge my phone to 100% before bed and when i woke up today about 9 hours later, found out the phone was still at 100% when it's usually at 90% by then. Google has delivered on their word.
  8. Droid
    droid100's Avatar
    Member #
    8875
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    90
    Phone
    Droid
    #8
    i'm noticing mixed results today... i'm no longer running the chat clients but i'm back to poor life. i'm going to kill everything again and try to start over.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Erron's Avatar
    Member #
    1660
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,076
    Phone
    droid
    DroidForums.net Developer
    #9
    my battery meter says 3:45 total time left when unplugged at a full charge. No wifi, gps, or bt running. How is that for horrible!
  10. Droid
    Caindris's Avatar
    Member #
    9899
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    64
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Erron View Post
    my battery meter says 3:45 total time left when unplugged at a full charge. No wifi, gps, or bt running. How is that for horrible!
    3:45 of non-standby time is pretty good. I was getting terrible battery life until I used my power management widget. Now I'm easily getting a day and a half of average usage. Granted my average may be your light, so with all things.. YMMV.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. screen dims? battery issue?
    By learningtousedroid in forum New Member Introductions & Site Assistance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-14-2009, 08:16 PM
  2. Alltel GPS, when will it be fixed?
    By ChalmersP in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-02-2009, 01:04 AM
  3. Wifi, Airtime and Battery issue.
    By ferulebezel in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-22-2009, 12:38 PM
  4. Is this battery issue normal?
    By Paulypotz in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-19-2009, 10:35 AM
  5. Camera Fixed..??..!!..
    By vonfink13 in forum Android Tech Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-17-2009, 07:26 AM

Search tags for this page

batter going dead gallaxy 11
,
battery keeps going dead on my droid x2
,
droid 3 batter keeps going dead
,
droid 3 phone keeps going dead
,
droid razr battery keeps going dead
,
my droid x2 battery keeps going dead
,
my galaxy 2 keeps going dead
,

my samsung keeps going dead

,
ping chat droid
,
why does the battery keep going dead on my droid razr
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+