DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hulu & netflix

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid

hulu & netflix

I am no able to view videos on those sites after 10.1 are we not gonna be able to do so with the moto Droid? I can stream from YouTube. What's going on?
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Hulu does not have licenses for mobile streaming. Netflix uses Silverlight, not flash
    Deep Thought #1
    How does Verizon sell phones at their own stores? Any phone they sell, can be found for 50% to 75% less on Amazon, or at Best Buy. Does Verizon operate their stores on a "there is a sucker born every minute" business model?
    Deep Thought #2
    Is Verizon's customer service philosophy: frustrate, aggravate, and exasperate, these annoying interruptions to our day, will eventually go away?
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    RAZR Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by FunN4Lo View Post
    Hulu does not have licenses for mobile streaming. Netflix uses Silverlight, not flash
    I knew why netflix didn't work, but that's the first explanation I've heard for hulu not working. I wonder if it's possible to create an app that fools a site into seeing a Droid as a laptop instead of a mobile...
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    OG Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostwheel View Post
    I knew why netflix didn't work, but that's the first explanation I've heard for hulu not working. I wonder if it's possible to create an app that fools a site into seeing a Droid as a laptop instead of a mobile...
    There's been some discussion about Hulu on here a few times - in respect to utilizing flash, and fooling the site to think it's a desktop browser, not mobile. I tried simply watching a flash video via the flash mobile website and wasn't all that impressed. I tried watching something via Bitbop - wasn't all that impressed. I prolly would use Hulu...but who knows....web video streams on the droid just don't seem to cut it IMO - which uberly saddens me (i was looking forward to that feature more than anything)..i mean, being stuck at a family get together, bored, having the ability to watch hulu on my phone - talk about a life saver.

Anyway, here's a couple links that might help a bit with your question:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...atch-hulu.html

and this one (which has the "work around" mentioned)
    Flash & hulu not working

...I haven't tried...I was waiting for the official 10.1 mobile version of flash to come out (as opposed to beta 3). Hoping that the compression might work better so there isn't much lag at all - i'm an audio/videophile, so I tend to notice some of these things easier (and they bug me to a higher degree) than a lot of people [that I know].
    "Never look where you are going, always look where you want to go."

Galaxy Nexus

ICSourcery - It's Delicious Ice Cream Magic
    My Gimpy OG Droid is now officially a glorified alarm clock / potential media player (running Sourcery)
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    The final version of Flash is supposed to be much better. We shall see.

As for hulu, the linked discussion mentions installing a modified APK. I don't do that sort of thing as some evil dev could steal your info if they wanted. Do you like installing random software off the web?

I would try Dolphin HD from the market and set the user agent to Desktop. I use Dolphin HD as the default browser and really like it. It has tabs too.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    RAZR Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by techRob View Post
    There's been some discussion about Hulu on here a few times - in respect to utilizing flash, and fooling the site to think it's a desktop browser, not mobile. I tried simply watching a flash video via the flash mobile website and wasn't all that impressed. I tried watching something via Bitbop - wasn't all that impressed. I prolly would use Hulu...but who knows....web video streams on the droid just don't seem to cut it IMO - which uberly saddens me (i was looking forward to that feature more than anything)..i mean, being stuck at a family get together, bored, having the ability to watch hulu on my phone - talk about a life saver.

Anyway, here's a couple links that might help a bit with your question:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...atch-hulu.html

and this one (which has the "work around" mentioned)
    Flash & hulu not working

...I haven't tried...I was waiting for the official 10.1 mobile version of flash to come out (as opposed to beta 3). Hoping that the compression might work better so there isn't much lag at all - i'm an audio/videophile, so I tend to notice some of these things easier (and they bug me to a higher degree) than a lot of people [that I know].
    Thanks. From the sounds of it, there's already an app for it, but it may need to be smoothed out and perfected to reach an actual gold release. I bet we'll have it eventually.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    RAZR Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by aminaked View Post

As for hulu, the linked discussion mentions installing a modified APK. I don't do that sort of thing as some evil dev could steal your info if they wanted. Do you like installing random software off the web?

I would try Dolphin HD from the market and set the user agent to Desktop. I use Dolphin HD as the default browser and really like it. It has tabs too.
    No, I'm not about to grab that modified apk - I'm not THAT desperate for hulu. I already have Dolphin HD, though I'm not very fond of it. Setting the stock browser user agent to desktop (vie about:debug) doesn't work, so I don't have much hope for Dolphin working either.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    OG Droid

I've been a little out of the loop on this...any word when this is supposed to be released?
    "Never look where you are going, always look where you want to go."

Galaxy Nexus

ICSourcery - It's Delicious Ice Cream Magic
    My Gimpy OG Droid is now officially a glorified alarm clock / potential media player (running Sourcery)
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    No, I'm not about to grab that modified apk - I'm not THAT desperate for hulu. I already have Dolphin HD, though I'm not very fond of it. Setting the stock browser user agent to desktop (vie about:debug) doesn't work, so I don't have much hope for Dolphin working either.
    A user in the linked thread reported that Dolphin HD works. If it sets the user agent to something that doesn't give away that it is on Android, it may work. The stock browser's desktop user agent probably says something like "I am Firefox (no, I'm Android)" while the Dolphin HD UA may just say "I am Firefox". Just speculating, but worth a shot.

I like Dolphin HD. Tabs, persistent user agent. It is a little quirky, but you get used to it.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    RAZR Maxx
    A user in the linked thread reported that Dolphin HD works. If it sets the user agent to something that doesn't give away that it is on Android, it may work. The stock browser's desktop user agent probably says something like "I am Firefox (no, I'm Android)" while the Dolphin HD UA may just say "I am Firefox". Just speculating, but worth a shot.

I like Dolphin HD. Tabs, persistent user agent. It is a little quirky, but you get used to it.
    I just tried hulu with Dolphin HD, user agent set to desktop - and I made sure to set it before going to hulu. It didn't work.

Maybe there's something else to it - a setting in Dolphin's menu structure to enable Flash, maybe? I looked, but couldn't find any such thing.

Hulu doesn't require a login/account these days, does it..?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links