DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Droid2 Antennagate?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Droid2 Antennagate?

I was looking online at Droid2 reviews and have found something that hasn't been reported on our forum (yet). I'm hoping its all hype, bad reporting, or at a minimum something that can be fixed with a software update but it appears as though our beloved Droid2 is having antenna issues of its own. It is unlikely it seems to be attenuation related, as no amount of "deathgripping" "deathtouching" seems to cause the problem. From the reports it seems as though the phone is having issues maintaining a steady signal just sitting on a table. It would be nice to hear from any of our community who have recently purchased a Droid2 to see how valid and widespread this problem is.

Sources:

Motorola Droid 2 Headed for 'Antennagate' of Its Own? - Mobile and Wireless from eWeek

Motorola Droid 2 Experiencing Signal Issues Phone Reviews

Antennagate could start up again...this time on the Motorola Droid 2 | ZDNet

Uh-oh: Early Droid 2 Units Having Signal Issues?

Hope the community can set some clarity on the subject.

3. XOOM RS Team Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    Phone
    MOTO X + Nexus 7
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonDenver'sCopilot View Post
    I was looking online at Droid2 reviews and have found something that hasn't been reported on our forum (yet). I'm hoping its all hype, bad reporting, or at a minimum something that can be fixed with a software update but it appears as though our beloved Droid2 is having antenna issues of its own. It is unlikely it seems to be attenuation related, as no amount of "deathgripping" "deathtouching" seems to cause the problem. From the reports it seems as though the phone is having issues maintaining a steady signal just sitting on a table. It would be nice to hear from any of our community who have recently purchased a Droid2 to see how valid and widespread this problem is.

Sources:

Motorola Droid 2 Headed for 'Antennagate' of Its Own? - Mobile and Wireless from eWeek

Motorola Droid 2 Experiencing Signal Issues Phone Reviews

Antennagate could start up again...this time on the Motorola Droid 2 | ZDNet

Uh-oh: Early Droid 2 Units Having Signal Issues?

Hope the community can set some clarity on the subject.
    Sat here looking at my wife's and her's was a constant 3 bars for at least 5 minutes. Might be an isolated issue with a certain batch maybe?
    I'll definitely keep an eye on it now.

4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    Well the X had similar issues and the .604 update fixed it for ppl having that problem. The X also had some activating issues that may have caused it.

Could be the same thing happening.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Yeah, I'm hoping its a software related issue that can be patched. Last thing I want to hear is there is a hardware issue like with the fruit fone.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Anyone with a Droid 2 noticing problems? It didn't look like the Droid 2 had a disconnect button like the iphone
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MotoDroid
    Engadget's review said that they had four different D2's with different editors in different parts of the country, and they ALL could replicate the problem. I played with one in the store and it varied between 2-4 bars, but it never disconnected. This would be pretty embarrassing for Moto after they ran those ads for the Droid X mocking the iPhone antenna problem.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    222 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid3
    Good news, guys. I checked in with Steve Job's PR people, and they said, and I quote: "It's definitely not hardware-related. It turns out--and even we were totally shocked to discover--that the algorithm that the Droid2 uses for computing signal strength has a BUG in it! Just ignore the issue, and in a few days all the fuss will blow over. If not, just tell everyone you're releasing a software patch to fix it."

Go figure.

-Matt
    Meaning of gadgetrants:
    (1) Goes on rants about gadgets
    (2) Gadgets put him in a trants (er...um, trance)
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by dwagner88 View Post
    Engadget's review said that they had four different D2's with different editors in different parts of the country, and they ALL could replicate the problem. I played with one in the store and it varied between 2-4 bars, but it never disconnected. This would be pretty embarrassing for Moto after they ran those ads for the Droid X mocking the iPhone antenna problem.

It wouldnt be embarrassing since this same issue happened with the X, which again got fixed with an update, new baseband. Do yall hear about any X antennagate?

And I'm not talking about the pull-the-wool-over-the-eyes job Apple tried.

And for the record, the first X ad wasnt mocking the iPhone antenna, what happened there was ppl seeing what they wanted to see. Only after Apple did that antenna page did Moto actually come hard at the iPhone.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    Well the X had similar issues and the .604 update fixed it for ppl having that problem. The X also had some activating issues that may have caused it.
    I had that activation issue on the X! Dialing *228 and re-activating fixed it. Supposedly, we should be dialing *228 and choosing option 2 once/month?
  11. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Yea doing option 2 once a month is supposed to help with reception, roaming, something about the towers. I've been doing that since 2005.

I only remember to do it if I have reception issues tho...normally after a baseband update or change u should do it.

MLK, Jr.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links