DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Droid phone and Wi Fi??

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Droid phone and Wi Fi??

I have not been able to get Wi-Fi to work yet, since I have had my phone.

The Droid shows that it is connected, and that the signal strength is Good. But I cannot access the web, or mail or anything. My wireless network is good to go(works fine with both of our laptops), and the Droid works fine on 3G.

Should I simply unplug and then reboot my wireless router, or is there more to it? I have not messed with anything having to do with our wireless network since I originally installed it 1.5 years ago, so I need suggestions in layman's terms, pls. LOL
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Is your wireless an open network?? Or do you have security setup on it?

The droids WiFi is fairly simple. Turn it on, select a network, and you're good, the droid pulls an IP from the router's DHCP server, and connects to the subnet. Everything should sync-up fine - On an open network.

I actually haven't tried to connect to a secured network yet on the Droid so I have no help for you there...
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Yep, just setup my router to go secured, connects fine....
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoo View Post
    lmao.. I haven't seen that site before... good one...
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by bwhite757 View Post

The droids WiFi is fairly simple. Turn it on, select a network, and you're good, the droid pulls an IP from the router's DHCP server, and connects to the subnet. Everything should sync-up fine - On an open network.

I actually haven't tried to connect to a secured network yet on the Droid so I have no help for you there...
    I appreciate the advice. I am not sure what type of setup I have.

My wife has better luck messing with crap like this than I do. When she gets home I will have her see if she can make it happen.

Hopefully a simple reboot will work.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoo View Post
    That was funny the first few hundred times I saw it. Not so much anymore.

This forum is for asking questions pertaining to the Droid specifically. If you didnt like seeing questions about the Droid, I suspect you wouldnt be here, LOL.

At any rate, I searched prior to asking my question, and decided to still ask it. I am not particularly concerned with your feelings on my decision. Move along if it bothers you. There are very few questions on the forum that have not been asked in one form or another already. That is the nature of internet forums. Duplication of topics is as common as the dupe nazis themselves.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    GNex
    I am having nothing but issues with mine but it could be a router issue. It will connect briefly then I receive an error Network out of range, funny thing is I am 2 ft from the router.
    YMB

GNex
    Bugless Beast JB
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpysherman View Post
    I am having nothing but issues with mine but it could be a router issue. It will connect briefly then I receive an error Network out of range, funny thing is I am 2 ft from the router.
    I have similar problems with Wi-fi. It doesn't work very well at home or at school... both are secured connections via WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES].

It's frustrating, because I have NO issues with my iPod touch, laptop, or netbook on EITHER connection (home and school), yet my Droid will constantly say it's out of range (when sitting within 2-3 feet of the router at home, and in the same room [the computer lab] as the router at school). It's just infuriating that I can't use Wi-Fi when I want on my Droid, yet I can tote my netbook, laptop, and iPod touch around with me to the same places and have Wi-Fi work just fine.

I am wholly convinced that there are problems with the hardware/software of some or all Droids that cause them to act up and not work properly with Wi-Fi. I'm extremely well-versed with Wireless network setup and I can tell you, my home network is setup perfectly and I shouldn't be having ANY issues with my Droid working on Wi-Fi.

If others are reading this, yes, the Droid has problems with Wi-Fi, but do not contact VZW for tech support. They will say they can't help because Wi-Fi isn't their thing, you need to contact your ISP, etc. I've also read that exchanging out your Droid for a new one doesn't necessarily solve anything.

Ignore the idiots on here who say "oh gee, I'm not having any problems with Wi-Fi, so your problems are invalidated!" -- If you're experiencing Wi-Fi issues, check on your settings, but the Droid ***SHOULD*** (in theory) be able to work with any and all secured and non-secured setups (whether it's WEP, WPA, or WPA2 or some combination of those such as the one I'm using, which is WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]). It's just that some people's Droids just plain don't work very well with Wi-Fi, in specific, they have problems maintaining a solid connection. Once in a while, mine will connect, only to disconnect minutes later without me doing anything... WTF?

There's an issue with some routers, I believe, that's causing the Droid to not get along so well with some people's networks. For example, my Droid doesn't seem to care whether I have any security or no security at all - it has trouble connecting regardless. Same with how my Droid acts on my college's campus and staying connected to its' wireless network.

I hope Motorola, Verizon, and/or Google hurry up and fix this. It's one seriously annoying and frustrating problem.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Quote Originally Posted by bwhite757 View Post

Given that you have the correct password for the network you're trying to connect to, security of any type should present absolutely no problems relating to connectivity and signal strength for the Droid.

Security is a non-issue. It's not a factor in why some people are experiencing problems with Wi-Fi on their Droids, at least not based on the evidence we have so far.

I've found that regardless of the type of security used on a given network (or lack thereof, i.e. a network with no security, as you mentioned), my Droid has trouble maintaining a solid connection and simply does not connect at all. Period. It doesn't matter if I change the security from WEP or WPA or WPA2 or open to any of these options, my Droid STILL has problems. Please explain how that is 'user error' as your post implies.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links