DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Droid phone and Wi Fi??

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    D1, DX, Fascinate
    I was able to use my Droid on my network which has no security but MAC filtering enabled, so I had to grab the mac off my Droid and then it was able to get on
    HK-47: "Expletive: Damn it, master, I am an assassination droid... not a dictionary!"
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    GNex
    Quote Originally Posted by JFDroid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpysherman View Post
    I am having nothing but issues with mine but it could be a router issue. It will connect briefly then I receive an error Network out of range, funny thing is I am 2 ft from the router.
    I have similar problems with Wi-fi. It doesn't work very well at home or at school... both are secured connections via WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES].

It's frustrating, because I have NO issues with my iPod touch, laptop, or netbook on EITHER connection (home and school), yet my Droid will constantly say it's out of range (when sitting within 2-3 feet of the router at home, and in the same room [the computer lab] as the router at school). It's just infuriating that I can't use Wi-Fi when I want on my Droid, yet I can tote my netbook, laptop, and iPod touch around with me to the same places and have Wi-Fi work just fine.

I am wholly convinced that there are problems with the hardware/software of some or all Droids that cause them to act up and not work properly with Wi-Fi. I'm extremely well-versed with Wireless network setup and I can tell you, my home network is setup perfectly and I shouldn't be having ANY issues with my Droid working on Wi-Fi.

If others are reading this, yes, the Droid has problems with Wi-Fi, but do not contact VZW for tech support. They will say they can't help because Wi-Fi isn't their thing, you need to contact your ISP, etc. I've also read that exchanging out your Droid for a new one doesn't necessarily solve anything.

Ignore the idiots on here who say "oh gee, I'm not having any problems with Wi-Fi, so your problems are invalidated!" -- If you're experiencing Wi-Fi issues, check on your settings, but the Droid ***SHOULD*** (in theory) be able to work with any and all secured and non-secured setups (whether it's WEP, WPA, or WPA2 or some combination of those such as the one I'm using, which is WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]). It's just that some people's Droids just plain don't work very well with Wi-Fi, in specific, they have problems maintaining a solid connection. Once in a while, mine will connect, only to disconnect minutes later without me doing anything... WTF?

There's an issue with some routers, I believe, that's causing the Droid to not get along so well with some people's networks. For example, my Droid doesn't seem to care whether I have any security or no security at all - it has trouble connecting regardless. Same with how my Droid acts on my college's campus and staying connected to its' wireless network.

I hope Motorola, Verizon, and/or Google hurry up and fix this. It's one seriously annoying and frustrating problem.
    That is exactly the problem I am having. Couldn't have explained it any better.
    YMB

GNex
    Bugless Beast JB
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    GNex
    Upgraded to 2.0.1 this morning so tonight I checked wifi and it is now working.
    YMB

GNex
    Bugless Beast JB
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links