DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Loading Videos into Droid

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Loading Videos into Droid

Hello,
    I am trying to load a video that I took of my daughter from my camera into my droid. I tried copy pasting the file from my camera to the music folder, camera media folder in my droid but none of it seems to work. I even created a new folder called Videos and loaded the MVI file into it but still can't view it. Is it true that you can ONLY play videos that you record on your droid and not videos recorded else where. Appreciate help on this.

thanks
    gkdroid
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Nexus
    its not true...i have movies which i download in m4v format on my phone and they play perfectly. your video need to me in the m4v/mp4 format. here is a link on how to convert video. Motorola Droid – Best Video Format Conversion Settings Using Free HandBrake | Fun Tech Talk
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by ntrddragn View Post
    its not true...i have movies which i download in m4v format on my phone and they play perfectly. your video need to me in the m4v/mp4 format. here is a link on how to convert video. Motorola Droid – Best Video Format Conversion Settings Using Free HandBrake | Fun Tech Talk
    Thanks for your post. In which directory do I have to save my m4v file
  4. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by gkdroid View Post
    Hello,
    I am trying to load a video that I took of my daughter from my camera into my droid. I tried copy pasting the file from my camera to the music folder, camera media folder in my droid but none of it seems to work. I even created a new folder called Videos and loaded the MVI file into it but still can't view it. Is it true that you can ONLY play videos that you record on your droid and not videos recorded else where. Appreciate help on this.
    You're sure the file you tried to view on the Droid is really a .MVI format video? Video files I shoot with my Canon are saved as MVI_001.avi, etc, but the format is .avi, not .mvi. Does your file have mvi at the beginning or at the end? From what little I can find, "MVI" is some sort of new DVD format.

If your file is actually a .avi file, the Droid WON'T play it since it not a supported format. There are a lot of video converters available which can convert a .avi video to other formats.

Answer to your last question is, definitely not, the Droid will play .3gp and .mp4 files very well. Only caveat is that to play those video formats smoothly, the bitrate can't be too large. Around 1,500kbps video and 192Kbps audio works pretty well.

Oh, and the directory doesn't seem to make much difference. As long as media files are somewhere on the SD card, the Droid seems to find them. You might find it useful to create separate folders for stuff you put on the SD card just to keep things organized, however.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    I am far from having the technical knowledge of many of the other forum members, but I have played around with several video editiing/converting programs to get movies onto my Droid. In my experience over the past few days I have found Handbrake to be the most complicated solution with results about the same as 2 far more simple programs which require a LOT less user input. All are FREE.

DoubleTwist - as simple as drag and drop into your Droid - formats automatically

Videora Android Converter - very simple program which works great, allows some user setting changes, and works a LOT faster than Handbrake.

If I noticed a huge difference in the quality form the Handbrake application I would probably not mind using it - despite the amount of time it takes - but I can't honestly tell any difference between Handbrake and the other two.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAP2 View Post
    I am far from having the technical knowledge of many of the other forum members, but I have played around with several video editiing/converting programs to get movies onto my Droid. In my experience over the past few days I have found Handbrake to be the most complicated solution with results about the same as 2 far more simple programs which require a LOT less user input. All are FREE.

DoubleTwist - as simple as drag and drop into your Droid - formats automatically

Videora Android Converter - very simple program which works great, allows some user setting changes, and works a LOT faster than Handbrake.

If I noticed a huge difference in the quality form the Handbrake application I would probably not mind using it - despite the amount of time it takes - but I can't honestly tell any difference between Handbrake and the other two.
    I downloaded Videora Android Converter and its very easy to use, it even does a first time Walk Through tutorial. Once you go through the tutorial you can pretty much do all the functionality yourself.

I made a Media folder for Ringtone, Alarms and Notification sounds, but even dragging and dropping the .mp4 into the Media folder it can easily be found with your Gallery App/Icon as Media and Video. No special folder is needed, I simply made the Media one for other purposes. By just clicking on Gallery the Video will populate for your viewing pleasure.

Depending on the size of the file being converted it can take a little bit of time.

Links