DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Something for those thinking about the DROID to chew on...

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid

Thumbs up Something for those thinking about the DROID to chew on...

To Everyone thinking about buying a DROID....

I thought I would make a post about the adjustment period you WILL have switching to an Android device for the first time. This does not apply for those who are just upgrading their current Android phone to the DROID. Let me start by saying that the DROID is the first Android device I have owned. Prior to this I owned A BB Curve, Storm, and a Palm Pre. The first thing I noticed coming to the DROID was the lack of applications it came with in its stock form (looking back this was mostly because I was only familiar with BB applications and the way they function). I wouldn't say I was underwhelmed by the stock apps more so I was overwhelmed with having to learn how to live in the "google cloud" and try not to miss a beat in my daily life... I had to learn to integrate my life with google. After I adjusted to this, I started getting more and more functionality out of those stock applications and I started REALLY enjoying my phone. This is about when I realized that there literally thousands of apps and widgets in market I could now use to supplement, replace or run alongside my pre installed apps. It was after this that my DROID became great. VZW and MOTO left all the proprietary crap off the phone so we could make ours. Now my phone is ME, it does what I want it to do and everything I ask it to do, it looks like MY phone, it just DOES everything the way I want. This is the best part about Android your phone is completely custom, it is what you make and it will only ever be what you want it to be. So my message is don't get frustrated it will come together and if your phone doesn't do what you need it to its probably because you haven't asked yet! PM me if you need help or just search this forum and you will find lots of great apps and advice from very helpful people. Lastly enjoy your phone it IS the best phone on the market now!

DroidHoff

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Drone
    Agreed! The phone has a few 'quirks' but user error can be fixed. It's first gen so some things will not be perfect.

The new Camaro has output shaft problems and the 'Smartcars' have horrible tranny issues. Things happen on first gen products
    WARNING: DROID ownership may cause some individuals to feel more important than they are!
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidHoff View Post
    The first thing I noticed coming to the DROID was the lack of applications it came with in its stock form (looking back this was mostly because I was only familiar with BB applications and the way they function).
    Seems like a lot of complaints are along these lines -- from people that don't understand that there are apps and additional functionality out there.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I am only on day 6 with the Droid and I am happier every day with it. After the Storm 1 it's like a godsend .
  6. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Phone
    Motor Droid & Droid Eris
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidHoff View Post
    To Everyone thinking about buying a DROID....

I thought I would make a post about the adjustment period you WILL have switching to an Android device for the first time. This does not apply for those who are just upgrading their current Android phone to the DROID. Let me start by saying that the DROID is the first Android device I have owned. Prior to this I owned A BB Curve, Storm, and a Palm Pre. The first thing I noticed coming to the DROID was the lack of applications it came with in its stock form (looking back this was mostly because I was only familiar with BB applications and the way they function). I wouldn't say I was underwhelmed by the stock apps more so I was overwhelmed with having to learn how to live in the "google cloud" and try not to miss a beat in my daily life... I had to learn to integrate my life with google. After I adjusted to this, I started getting more and more functionality out of those stock applications and I started REALLY enjoying my phone. This is about when I realized that there literally thousands of apps and widgets in market I could now use to supplement, replace or run alongside my pre installed apps. It was after this that my DROID became great. VZW and MOTO left all the proprietary crap off the phone so we could make ours. Now my phone is ME, it does what I want it to do and everything I ask it to do, it looks like MY phone, it just DOES everything the way I want. This is the best part about Android your phone is completely custom, it is what you make and it will only ever be what you want it to be. So my message is don't get frustrated it will come together and if your phone doesn't do what you need it to its probably because you haven't asked yet! PM me if you need help or just search this forum and you will find lots of great apps and advice from very helpful people. Lastly enjoy your phone it IS the best phone on the market now!

DroidHoff
    This is the most intelligent post I have ever seen on this forum, should be sticky'd.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    came from numerous blackberrys as well and you just summed up the switch to droid perfectly...wouldnt give this phone up for anything!!!!
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    that was very well said,
    and it applies to me
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    nice post OP. well put. summed up my learning curve.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Best phone I've ever owned. I had the BB curve for years and this is sooo much better
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I feel that there is a big learning curve but for me that's because I've had nothing but dumb phones before. I've had my droid for less than 30 hrs and I'm fully functional. Don't get me wrong there is a lot I haven't done with the phone that it is capable of. I still need to link it to my computer, explore apps... but this thing is insanely user friendly. Anyone with some tech savvy will be moving along pretty quick almost immediately.

Now that I know the basics I have to work on setting this thing up so that it's fully integrated into my daily life. I'm stoked, this thing is awesome!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links