DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sync with Outlook?

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Droid

CompanionLink feedback

CompanionLink hung the first three tries after I went into setup settings.

Finally, I skipped configuring setup (which was anything but intuitive) and just did a sync. It starts off by bringing my Google contacts into Outlook, which is what it is (slowly) doing now.

I could care less about getting Google contacts into Outlook. I need to go the other way, so I can get them into the Google cloud, so that I can then (finally!) get them onto my phone.

All in all, a big fail for the Droid out of the box. I mean, the phone is cool, but, er, getting contacts onto the phone is my #1 concern. I agree with others here that the engineers were big on bells and whistles and weren't thinking about actual phone owners and what people do with phones.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    +1.917.330.6105
    Amen. While tasks and notes are very important to me, that is yet another thing that did not work with the iphone. THERE IS NO APP FOR THAT! Besides, how many geniuses does it take to understand that fundamental elements of data are needed when people use software correctly and thoroughly. What is the purpose of putting one's whole life into a sophisticated program like Outlook/MS Office for around 13 years (in my case) if I have to double entry or suffer without my data unless I band-aid the software? I'm hoping there is a misunderstanding because even the Verizon tech I spoke with this morning didn't know if the contacts would synch with Standalone Outlook, let alone tasks and notes. Besides, why SHOULD I have to put this stuff on Google's servers just to get it to be on my device? All servers are fallible as we've seen recently in the news.
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid X (Rooted), Iphone 4 JB.
    All I did was export to csv in outlook. Import in gmail, and was done. Easy,.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    +1.917.330.6105
    Does it guide you as to which fields it needs and will it continue to sync dynamically? That is what I would need. Maybe I'll try that now.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid X (Rooted), Iphone 4 JB.
    Quote Originally Posted by bearlaw1968 View Post
    Does it guide you as to which fields it needs and will it continue to sync dynamically? That is what I would need. Maybe I'll try that now.
    No guide. Just export to CSV, done.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    +1.917.330.6105
    I see what you mean - just export all fields (I have dozens of custom fields) and the gmail thing will hopefully sort out the fields it needs; I'm going to delete the csv when I'm done anyway, but just not sure if I trust the updating. Only one way to find out, though. I will test. Thank you.
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    989-274-8790

Angry A Sad day once again

A little bit of history. I have only used PDA / Smartphones for roughly 3 years. As of late I have had the HTC VX6900 which has been physically replaced 3 times due to "windows mobile" locking up as well as calls not coming in and other issues. I have tried the voyager which I liked alot but would not sync more than I belive 200 calendar items (no where near sufficient). I then tried the Samsung Omnia and ran into the same issues with locking and returned that as well. I now am the sad / happy owner of the droid from Verizon and I can't sync "easily" with my outlook which contains my work contacts and calendar. I am no where near high enough in the company to get push so the corporate option is not really an option. The sync with google mail is not an option as well either due to the strict confidentiallity of working for a chemical comany and having a number of attachments in my calendar items. With that said I am seriously considering taking it back tomorrow due to it's lack of local sync capabilities with Outlook. I have read this entire string and really see nothing yet that allows me to actually "sync" with outlook. This is a very sad day as I was so geeked with finally having a descent smart phone..
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    This is entirely my point. And there could be a million other people that sync directly to Outlook, without Exchange server.

It is absolutely absurd to put out a device like this without these former sync options.

Know this, that if you snyc standalone outlook now, your data IS STORED ON A SERVER SOMEWHERE (VERIZONS or Google) servers, else you would have not sync.

Take you pick, your data is elsewhere. The only way to keep your data yours is to setup your own Sync server like Funambol.

I have done it, and it works. I don't believe it supports the DRIOD however, but I did email them about it.

Other missing things on the DRIOD:

NO FLASH player (r u serious Android???) Please don't tell me that Flash 10 will be supported. I know, but I'd like to see flash sites NOW, not later.

No "click and listen" to Windows media Player or Real player directly from web sites.

If you guys tell me again that "this is not MS OS" I'm going to puke. How many web site use this type of links to listen to media???? MILLIONS!

YOU CAN'T LEAVE THIS STUFF OUT OF A SMARTPHONE and they have!!!

I'm sure I'll find many more problems as I go, but the be a bit positive:

The phone is great, the speakerphone is very good, browsing is very good, the thing is VERY fast.

Messaging with my test IMAP on AOL, is spotty. There are messages missing for some reason.

Thanks,

MP
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 4

Remain Calm

Sorry for the cross post from another forum, but I've been following this thread for three days, and it seemed like the appropriate place to put it: Alright, for those of you that are Googling like insane people because you just bought the Droid, here's a summary to save you the effort that I've made over the past three days. There is no way to Sync your phone to your Outlook WITHOUT going through the Google cloud, resulting in all of your information remaining on Google's servers (if posters on different sites are to be believed, that information will remain for as long as 18 months after you delete it, as per Google's privacy policy). So what's a Droid owner to do? My information is private enough that I don't want it all out on somebody else's server. This phone rocks. This is a problem. Here's your answer. There are at least three products currently under development which claim they will successfully sync your Outlook information to the Droid (including a lot of stuff like Notes that Gmail doesn't do). "Under Development" appears to mean within 30 days or so--at least one of them reports that they'll be releasing on December 1st. My personal choice has been to keep the phone, carry my old smartphone for a one month transition, and the first software manufacturer that releases a suitable product will have my business. the $30 or so I expect to pay is well worth having this great phone. For those of you that want to see what I'm talking about, here are the manufacturers: CompanionLink currently has sync through Google, but is developing direct syncing : Google Android sync The Missing Sync looks like it will do EVERYTHING, and already exists on other platforms: Keep your life in sync with The Missing Sync for Android from Mark/Space MyLink for Android purports to be released on Dec. 1, and it looks like it should do the trick as well: Wave Global Services UK Limited If you're aggravated by this like I am, please e-mail the companies and tell 'em you're interested...I e-mailed all three and told them that if they released first, they've sold to me--I would hope (although I'm probably wrong) that a little bit of feedback from potential customers might speed things along a little bit. If I'm missing anything please let me know, 'cause I want to fully use this thing TODAY! Al
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by alkaholic View Post
    Sorry for the cross post from another forum, but I've been following this thread for three days, and it seemed like the appropriate place to put it: Alright, for those of you that are Googling like insane people because you just bought the Droid, here's a summary to save you the effort that I've made over the past three days. There is no way to Sync your phone to your Outlook WITHOUT going through the Google cloud, resulting in all of your information remaining on Google's servers (if posters on different sites are to be believed, that information will remain for as long as 18 months after you delete it, as per Google's privacy policy). So what's a Droid owner to do? My information is private enough that I don't want it all out on somebody else's server. This phone rocks. This is a problem. Here's your answer. There are at least three products currently under development which claim they will successfully sync your Outlook information to the Droid (including a lot of stuff like Notes that Gmail doesn't do). "Under Development" appears to mean within 30 days or so--at least one of them reports that they'll be releasing on December 1st. My personal choice has been to keep the phone, carry my old smartphone for a one month transition, and the first software manufacturer that releases a suitable product will have my business. the $30 or so I expect to pay is well worth having this great phone. For those of you that want to see what I'm talking about, here are the manufacturers: CompanionLink currently has sync through Google, but is developing direct syncing : Google Android sync The Missing Sync looks like it will do EVERYTHING, and already exists on other platforms: Keep your life in sync with The Missing Sync for Android from Mark/Space MyLink for Android purports to be released on Dec. 1, and it looks like it should do the trick as well: Wave Global Services UK Limited If you're aggravated by this like I am, please e-mail the companies and tell 'em you're interested...I e-mailed all three and told them that if they released first, they've sold to me--I would hope (although I'm probably wrong) that a little bit of feedback from potential customers might speed things along a little bit. If I'm missing anything please let me know, 'cause I want to fully use this thing TODAY! Al
    lol i could have written this post but you said it succinctly. and i'm doing exactly that. as tempting as it would be to have it all now, i feel strongly about staying out of the cloud but love the idea of this phone (which arrives today). i am also going to carry my treo 700p as my calendar and hope that my wait is only 30 days. i'm personally voting for missing sync and have also emailed them.
    ebean

a die-hard palm addict moving to droid. help me hold on!

http://beanygetsablog.wordpress.com/
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Links