DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Sync with Outlook?

1. BzB
    Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpush View Post

I truely believe that this phone could have and should have done Wireless sync with standalone outlook without my having to wait or pay for it as a 3rd party app.
    fair enough. if you're referring to outlook on an enterprise server like exchange, it does do this, albeit not very well at all. i agree with it being a poor implementation. main reason why i'm using the 3rd party app touchdown for exchange.

Browser Compatibility: (D)
    no flash support yet, and you can't stream Windows Media or Real player audio by clicking the buttons on web pages.
    wow! a D? really?? this browser is second only to the safari browser and even then only by a very small margin. OVERALL the browser is very well implemented for 95% of what people use a smartphone browser for. you know, browsing the internet and pulling up web pages. i couldn't knock it down to a D just because it doesn't stream wm. but hey, you're entitled to your opinion.

CAMERA: (C) It will not replace a good 5MP digital camera, picts just ok, flash just ok, better then none at all, autofocus not so great. Lense/Flash is placed right where your fingers go to hold it, so you often block the lense or flash and have to reposition your hold.
    agreed. however, keeping in mind this is a camera on a phone it does it's job pretty well.

Market: (C) good app slections
    can't really argue with this too much, although i would give it a c+ or b-. again, keeping in mind the phone was just released with a new os that many apps have yet to be designed or optimized for. i expect this will get better and we should see some good apps by end of year and beyond.

Email: (C-) I am having issues with AOL imap account, it gives false notifications randomly, some emails went missings that are still in my IMAP account.
    just because you're using AOL you get an F(ail)-

seriously, AOL is the worst of the worst. i wouldn't wish AOL on my most despised enemy.

that said you do have a point with false 'new mail' notifications. i got these at first with my comcast email, but for some reason it's stopped happening now. hopefully it stays that way.

BUSINESS DATA SYNC: (D-) Cannot Sync Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, or Notes OUT OF THE BOX with STANDALONE OUTLOOK on your PC.
    agreed. but i knew this was going to be a limitation even before i bought the droid. this was a battle i knew i would have to fight, did not catch me by surprise like it seemingly did you. maybe a little more research and less assuming on your end next time.

MP3 player: (B) Works, can try free web radios as well, works good.
    this is one area where i think they need to improve. overall media handling is lacking imo. it does what it needs to do, but with very little sophistication. i kind of feel that my blackberry's had a more sophisticated way of handling media even with their simple interface. the droid has no swiping left to right to change pictures, no stop button on the media player, and the interface is way too spartan. there's a lot of room for 3rd party developers to turn a good profit providing a good media suite for the droid.

Sensors: (C-) There are light sensors on the phone, that dim/brighten the display. I'm finding that are placed where my fingers go, and the screen is getting dim/bright when I don't expect it too.
    the sensors do what they're supposed to. how are you holding the device such that your finger goes over the sensor? it's not in a place that would normally get any action at all.

Overall, I like it very much. Biggest downfalls are lack of Outlook / PIM / Business data SYNC OUT OF THE BOX...
    agreed. out of the box corporate email/pim support is not that very good imo. but again, this was not what the phone was designed to do. that's blackberry's market. the driod's primary competitor (iphone) doesn't do this either. fortunately (or annoyingly) 3rd party apps rue the day for business users who want better email/pim support on the droid.

all of your other points i agree with for the most part.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by techguru View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitz View Post

Ah nooo, you can subscribe to a hosted Exchange service like here:

Browser Update Page

Its your "own" Exchange server. Since its Exchange, it Sync using the OTA Exchange push technology, and will sync two way I might add, mail, contacts, calandar, and probably tasks but not sure on that. Which means, your Outlook on your computer syncs with your "own" Exchange server, your dorid syncs with your "own" exchange server, ta da! Outlook features are synces with your Droid.

I sync my droid with my work Exchange server (where I am the admin) and it syncs beautifully. Unfortunately I have work email everywhere I go now

Is it in the cloud? Yes, but my point was it isn't GOOGLE's cloud. Would you trust your information to someone like Godaddy or 1and1 and their like with your personal information? Well most likely you do already if you have POP email from an ISP. Until you retreive your mail to your desktop client,it is in fact in the "cloud" and on backup tapes, etc.

Its all a matter of who do you trust, and google shouldn't be trusted in my opinion. This is a viable OPTION, that is why I bring it up.

Nitz,

In the scope here, my point was that of a free service. You can do it with these types of services yes. But I got Wireless Sync from Version for free (no additional fee) for the last 4 years.

Good point

Thanks,

MP
    No, To you use Wireless Sync, you need the $45/month data plan. For the Droid, you only need the $29/month plan. For less than the cost of 2 months of wireless synch, you can buy companionlink which does exactly what you want.

You keep re-iterating your opinion, and we keep re-iterating that your opinion is not based on factual data.

Alan
    Alan,

No need to try to insult me, In fact my oppinon is based on fact. I'm part of a business plan Alan, and that business plan DOES NOT CHARGE A SNGLE RED CENT EXTRA for Wireless Snyc. I can give you our reps number and you can call him yourself if have your doubts.

Thanks,

MP
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    Alk,
    I believe if you use Exchange server, there is still the 3rd copy of the data out in the cloud.

Thanks,

MP
    I saw you posted a couple times regarding exchange servers....

FYI, when syncing with an Exchange server, there is NOT a 3rd copy out in the cloud, the phone connects directly to the (exch) server and syncs.
    This is good clerification for Exchange then, thanks. I'm not sure how it does a compare, maybe date and time based...

All other solution I have checked or used out have a 3rd copy somewhere, to compare the others too.

Thanks,

MP
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Bzb,

wow! a D? really?? this browser is second only to the safari browser and even then only by a very small margin. OVERALL the browser is very well implemented for 95% of what people use a smartphone browser for. you know, browsing the internet and pulling up web pages. i couldn't knock it down to a D just because it doesn't stream wm. but hey, you're entitled to your opinion.

I gave the browser itself an A, but I give BROWSER COMPATIBILITY a D. Its my oppinon that all browsers should support mostly what the normal ones do, and that is FLASH, Windows Mobile streams, etc, etc.

the sensors do what they're supposed to. how are you holding the device such that your finger goes over the sensor? it's not in a place that would normally get any action at all.

There is a sensor around the camera lense, and when I hold the device in landscape mode, my finger cover it. It make the screen fade in and out.

fair enough. if you're referring to outlook on an enterprise server like exchange, it does do this, albeit not very well at all. i agree with it being a poor implementation. main reason why i'm using the 3rd party app touchdown for exchange.

Touchdown I believe only does Calendar and contacts, its not complete yet.

agreed. but i knew this was going to be a limitation even before i bought the droid. this was a battle i knew i would have to fight, did not catch me by surprise like it seemingly did you. maybe a little more research and less assuming on your end next time.

Catch me by suprise, yes. Verizon reps told me "Yes it will sync your outlook data". He meant only if I have Exchange server, and only Calendars and contacts, but he left those important bits out.

Thanks,

MP
  5. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Premium Member
    Does anyone here have anything new to say? I have been reading for 5 pages and it's all the same argument. Maybe just agree to disagree and i'll close this one up. Let me know here. I am starting to think this ship has sailed though
    Sometimes , It is what it is !
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Ok this thread is running out of legs quickly. I hear both sides, but the opinions and facts aren't changing here.

Miami,

It is what it is, I have ceased complaining...you don't have to read them.
  7. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Premium Member
    Ok this thread is running out of legs quickly. I hear both sides, but the opinions and facts aren't changing here.

Miami,

It is what it is, I have ceased complaining...you don't have to read them.

Your not the only one here. I feel ya but you have to admit this one is getting nowhere fast. I feel yourpain. I don't agree with you, but I can see where you are at.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    The thread should be closed, no point to keep arguing about it.

Someone should start a new thread that discusses the 3rd party tools available to sync stand-alone Outlook with the Droid - once they are released and work 2 ways.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    BigTex,

<<You must have misunderstood what I was trying to state all along. I didn't mean that Google didn't have the CAPABILITY to do it, just WHY should they support a competitor? I know they CAN do it, WHY would they? Yes, they don't want to and I know why. I don't understand how you can't grasp the concept that Google does not want to help sell more copies of Microsoft Outlook.>>

The concept to grasp here is that THEY DID support the competition, namely MICROSOFT EXCHANGE. Exchange usually uses Outlook at its primary client, supporting Exchange is indirectly supporting Outlook.

<<Again, I know they CAN develop an app to support it. WHY would they when they have a competing client called Gmail? They would be hurting their own application by promoting their competitor. Have you ever had an economics class... because you seem to not understand how this stuff works. >>

I'm not sure why you guys are throwing personal insults around, I never insulted any of you.

If fact, BigTex, you are stating the opposite of what Andorid has done.....Android HAS supported Exchange so from your perspective, they DID (past tense) hurt themselves by providing for Exchange support out of the box. It seems that you are misunderstanding here....Android has provided Exchange support, not to hurt themselves, but to get BUSINESS USERS who use Exchange server to buy their phone. And MORE people would likely buy it, if it supported Standalone outlook out of the box. Economics?

You need this capability because you own Outlook? Then go buy a WinMo phone or the 3rd party app. Or do it the FREE way with Google - sync your Outlook email, contacts, calendar, etc with Gmail and use Gmail on the Droid. That is what I did for my personal email, contacts, and calendar from Outlook.

What about notes and Tasks? This is not a complete solution.

Guys, don't be so mean to me here, I'm not throwing insults at any of you.

This is the reason it may get closed
    Thanks,

MP
    Last edited by mth04; 11-12-2009 at 07:41 AM.
  10. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PatG View Post
    The thread should be closed, no point to keep arguing about it.

Someone should start a new thread that discusses the 3rd party tools available to sync stand-alone Outlook with the Droid - once they are released and work 2 ways.
    I'm very close indeed
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Links