DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 41 of 144 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 91 141 ... LastLast

Thread: ****Official FroYo Rollout Thread-Version2!****

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetrants View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by richc78370 View Post
    Ok, just one question for those that got the OTA. Does the volume down still work to place your phone into silence mode. Many of us have seen that it will go into vibrate, but not silence mode.
    I'm still kind of puzzling over this. I think it's been handled in several other threads, but maybe not. Here is what I understand...first, in 2.1 you could press the volume down button and the setting would go:

Higher -> Lower -> Vibrate while Silent -> Totally Silent

Or maybe I got the last two backwards...but the point was that you could have Vibrate (by itself) and Silent (by itself) as separate options.

Along came 2.2, and despite a few reports otherwise, I still suspect it works the same for all of us:

(1) Higher -> Lower -> Silent

OR

(2) Higher -> Lower -> Vibrate

You get (1) when you select "Vibrate = Only when not in Silent mode" and you get (2) when you select "Vibrate = Only in Silent Mode."

I think this a FEATURE DESIGN, not A BUG. I think Motorola wants it this way (who knows why?). It reminds me of what happened last November when the phone launched, and people FREAKED OUT when they could only get a landscape homescreen with the keyboard out (they screamed on the Motorola user forum, "IT'S A BUG, IT'S A BUG, IT'S A BUG!!!!!!"). It was funny to hear owners cry "But I saw it work right in the store!!!!" Anyway, Motorola (not Google, right?) kindly added the feature so now the homescreen rotates (as it did from the start with 3nd party launchers...sheesh).

This whole "The volume key doesn't work right. IT'S A FROYO BUG!!!!" sounds so familiar (no offense to those who are genuinely bugged by it, including me).

-Matt

PS Rich, sorry if I misread your post. You *do* know can change the final "notch" on the volume down button by going to Settings -> Sound -> Vibrate, right?
    THIS IS CORRECT! It has been this way for us Nexus One users since we got FroYo (many many months ago now). Google (not Motorola) decided to separate the audio and vibration functions, rather than co-mingle them as it was, while still allowing access to the behaviour some desired. We simply need to adapt, as I did (and almost totally forgot about!) and hopefully it will become routine in no time.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Hate to disagree but if I put the volume all the way down I get the vibrating phone icon in the system tray, but it doesn't vibrate. I've gone in and vibrate only in silent mode has the green dot beside it, but it won't vibrate. When I use the volume down it gets to the final setting and it vibrates then, but that is the only time it will vibrate.
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone

OTA Froyo

I just received my OTA this morning around 5:45 in SFL. It took about 5 minutes to download and install. I am hooked up to my LAN while at home. So far no bugs,just speed increase and extended battery life.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    "The Droid"

Angry Buggie Design.

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetrants View Post
    Ok, just one question for those that got the OTA. Does the volume down still work to place your phone into silence mode. Many of us have seen that it will go into vibrate, but not silence mode.
    I'm still kind of puzzling over this. I think it's been handled in several other threads, but maybe not. Here is what I understand...first, in 2.1 you could press the volume down button and the setting would go:

Higher -> Lower -> Vibrate while Silent -> Totally Silent

Or maybe I got the last two backwards...but the point was that you could have Vibrate (by itself) and Silent (by itself) as separate options.

Along came 2.2, and despite a few reports otherwise, I still suspect it works the same for all of us:

(1) Higher -> Lower -> Silent

OR

(2) Higher -> Lower -> Vibrate

This whole "The volume key doesn't work right. IT'S A FROYO BUG!!!!" sounds so familiar (no offense to those who are genuinely bugged by it, including me).

-Matt
    THIS IS CORRECT! It has been this way for us Nexus One users since we got FroYo (many many months ago now). Google (not Motorola) decided to separate the audio and vibration functions, rather than co-mingle them as it was, while still allowing access to the behaviour some desired. We simply need to adapt, as I did (and almost totally forgot about!) and hopefully it will become routine in no time.
    First of all I want to apologize. I agree this is for the roll out and not "Bugs" or new "Features" Trying to watch so many boards you forget which one you are reading.

now, I check my wife's who is still 2.1 using Droid X and you do go from Sound > Vibrate > Silent using the volume up down and now I see FroYo made some new options. Didn't see this in the whats new document but now I understand. Hopefully all of us that have been asking this question now understand that the phone works as advertised, even if we don't agree with the "New Feature"

Thanks for responding and now I'll head over to the other board where I can post my problem about calls not automatically going to voice mail.

Cheers All. And Hope those that haven't gotten the OTA yet, will soon. It reall is a nice build, even with these new features we didn't ask for.
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorolla Droid
    Who's got two thumbs and loves his Droid? This guy!!!! I received the update this morning as I posted and have been using it all day with no problems. I am so happy, I am basking in the greatness that is Froyo!!! For those that haven't received it yet and are stock, it will come, like everyone has been saying, they seem to take a day off between batches. I downloaded and installed the Flash app (not from the market b/c it is not there for the Droid yet) and it also works great!
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    First of all I want to apologize. I agree this is for the roll out and not "Bugs" or new "Features" Trying to watch so many boards you forget which one you are reading.

now, I check my wife's who is still 2.1 using Droid X and you do go from Sound > Vibrate > Silent using the volume up down and now I see FroYo made some new options. Didn't see this in the whats new document but now I understand. Hopefully all of us that have been asking this question now understand that the phone works as advertised, even if we don't agree with the "New Feature"

Thanks for responding and now I'll head over to the other board where I can post my problem about calls not automatically going to voice mail.

Cheers All. And Hope those that haven't gotten the OTA yet, will soon. It reall is a nice build, even with these new features we didn't ask for.
    No apology needed Rich..brief overlaps are inherent, we're all trying to learn and understand these changes. G'Luck on the VM problem!
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmu666
    Who's got two thumbs and loves his Droid? This guy!!!! I received the update this morning as I posted and have been using it all day with no problems. I am so happy, I am basking in the greatness that is Froyo!
    I haven't had any issues either, it works, of course I wasn't having any before the update this morning. I'm glad that you're happy and all but, what is this greatness that you're basking in?

Last edited by alphawave7; 08-14-2010 at 06:52 PM. Reason: removed unwanted content-NOT family friendly
  8. Nice Guy
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by re747 View Post
    UGH. still no froyo for me.

someone mentioned they do a roll-out to a huge group, then wait 24 hours, then do another huge roll-out, then wait 24 hours, and keep repeating until it's done. So it seems like tons of people got theirs Wednesday night/Thursday morning and now Friday night/Saturday morning. Does this mean my next chance of getting it isn't until Monday morning? Or do they still update some here and there during their 24 hours of "down time"?
    It's really random, but the last two updates were in the evening about 10pm Pacific Time.

I haven't gotten it either, but I won't worry until the 18th.
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Question about update

The ota update I received a couple days ago froze my phone. It restarted and is stuck on the Motorola Logo. My question now is I done a factory restore and nothing. Now I'm wondering, could I try to update my phone under the same option you do a factory restore by putting that file on my phone. that update zip file? If so can I download the update manually and try that and it be legal (legal as in, not voiding warranty)? And if so where can I find the latest update to download? Thanks In Advance.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by brianstaton View Post
    The ota update I received a couple days ago froze my phone. It restarted and is stuck on the Motorola Logo. My question now is I done a factory restore and nothing. Now I'm wondering, could I try to update my phone under the same option you do a factory restore by putting that file on my phone. that update zip file? If so can I download the update manually and try that and it be legal (legal as in, not voiding warranty)? And if so where can I find the latest update to download? Thanks In Advance.
    My wife's D1 got the update this morning. It did the same thing as you describe. Completely froze up and stuck on the boot screen. Pretty much a paper weight now. Called VZW, then spoke to Motorola and then went into the VZW store. They couldn't fix it and are sending us a replacement phone.

I'm hoping it doesnt do the same to my Droid whenever it gets the OTA.

Question, will I stilll be able to USB tether with EasyTether Pro when the update is done?
Page 41 of 144 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 91 141 ... LastLast

Links