DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Not a World Phone?! WTF?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Okay, notwithstanding all the facts, I also am annoyed about the lack of this being a World phone. I look at all these features on this phone and think 'Yeah thats great, but what if I go out of country?' Youd think theyd make a great phone like this with such an ability. Here I am, a starving college student, with such a cool phone. And if I happen to get in the Exchange Program Im pretty sure Verizon will give me some junk about how Im tied to the contract and have to use this phone or pay the bill despite not being able to use it when Im abroad.

Yes, Im annoyed at this.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    How can you people justify being pissed at verizon/motorola for something you should of investigated? There are very few phones on Verizon that are world phones, the only one that comes to mind is the BB8830.
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremz View Post
    I found out today my Droid will not be able to make calls, send sms, or use GPS in Europe. I am stunned, honestly. I didn't know they still made phones that are not world phones.
    I am stunned, honestly as well. I didn't know that anyone still didn't do his/her due diligence when shopping for a smartphone (or anything for that matter).

Assume and you set yourself up for disappointment. Either a feature is important to you and you insure that the candidate has that feature or it isn't important.

I'm curious to know how you guys all knew "way before" you bought it that this phone wouldn't work outside the US, or where you did your "research". Did you look on the internet?
    Yup.

I mean, a month ago, some people still thought that the arrow keys on the keyboard were a finger print reader.
    You can't believe everything you read on the internet. Consider your sources. Rumor sites are just that: rumor sites. Corroborate data or rely on a trusted expert (if you can find one) if it comes to it. IIRC it was pretty clear that the Droid wasn't going to be a world phone but I don't reference my sources when performing my research so I'm sorry if I can't give you a concrete link that said so.

Don't ever assume that your research is fully done until you've made your purchase. I know that sounds contradictory but keep up the research even if you think you've made the right decision. You can't have too much information on your side if processed properly.

If you really want to be careful then don't purchase on release date. Add information from early adopters to your pool of research.

I figured that the folks at the Verizon store who insisted that it works over seas would be a better source of info.
    This is always a mistake. I don't care who your carrier is. Heck, it doesn't matter what you're buying. A salesperson is a terrible source for research data. They're there to sell you stuff, not to educate you for your benefit.

I can justify it by the fact that Verizon told me in no uncertain terms that this was a world phone. Should I not be pissed?
    You should be pissed. Unfortunately, if you want to pursue it at this point it's a matter of proving the verbal contract in court. YMMV but I consider that the point at which I cut my losses. You obviously don't want to end up at that point.

Not all of us are experts.
    You can't afford to have such an attitude -- especially when buying tech. Nor do you have to be an expert. Know what matters to you. Make sure what you are thinking of buying stands up. That's all there is to it.
    Last edited by takeshi; 12-05-2009 at 12:25 AM.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Caindris View Post
    How can you people justify being pissed at verizon/motorola for something you should of investigated? There are very few phones on Verizon that are world phones, the only one that comes to mind is the BB8830.
    Samsung Saga and Renown
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    HTC Ozone
    HTC Imagio
    BB Storm & 2
    BB tour
    Escapade

are all quad band world type phones....
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I can justify it by the fact that Verizon told me in no uncertain terms that this was a world phone. Should I not be pissed? I'm getting kind of pissed about peoples attitudes about ignorance on this thread. Not all of us are experts.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    lol, in court?
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I can understand frustration at a sales person saying one thing and getting another. I'm sure we've all been there. However I stand by my earlier statement that if it is vital for you to have a feature, it is up to you to do your research.

As for the list of GSM phones on Verizon, that is a slim list indeed which is what I said. Considering all the phones Verizon has on its network.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NVash View Post
    Okay, notwithstanding all the facts, I also am annoyed about the lack of this being a World phone. I look at all these features on this phone and think 'Yeah thats great, but what if I go out of country?' Youd think theyd make a great phone like this with such an ability. Here I am, a starving college student, with such a cool phone. And if I happen to get in the Exchange Program Im pretty sure Verizon will give me some junk about how Im tied to the contract and have to use this phone or pay the bill despite not being able to use it when Im abroad.

Yes, Im annoyed at this.
    You have to keep your voice contract. Nothing else. No data contract, no text contract. All you have to do is have a minimal voice plan. YOU chose a phone that isnt global capable, not them. There are lots of dumb phones that are CDMA only, so I bet most of you didnt even realize this problem existed.

If you need global capabilities, a local sim is your best bet anyways, not a vzw global roaming plan that will eat your ass. Dont hate vzw for YOU deciding to overlook something so simple. It is YOUR fault if YOU got a phone that doesn't do what YOU need it to do.

Simple.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I can understand frustration at a sales person saying one thing and getting another. I'm sure we've all been there. However I stand by my earlier statement that if it is vital for you to have a feature, it is up to you to do your research.
    I agree with this statement in general. Thanks for at least acknowledging my frustration which is actually the reason I brought this up. It wasn't so I could learn life lessons from my internet friends, but it's good to know that there's so many people who can help me with those too.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Hey now, I knew it wasnt Global. I knew that when I received it. Im just saying I didnt like that fact then and still dont. The fact that such a phone like this isnt Global still surprises me.

Thanks for the information though, Ill remember that.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Links