DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: ICE numbers (in case of emergency)

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Why not just create your emergency contacts as quick call shortcuts on your desktop. My GF and mom are on my desktop for one button calling.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by gentlefury View Post
    Why not just create your emergency contacts as quick call shortcuts on your desktop. My GF and mom are on my desktop for one button calling.
    Great idea if you're not locking your Droid, but for those of us who use the swipe pattern lock (or any other locking app), no one would be able to get to the shortcuts if they don't know the "code" to unlock the phone.

These apps allow you to see your emergency contacts' information even in the locked screen.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid & Droid Eris
    As a Police Officer I will attest to looking for emergency numbers in people's phones before. In most if not all cases, EMTs, Police Officers, etc are not the first ones on scene. Its normal concerned citizens and I have scene it numerous times when I pull up on scene to an accident. A person that is with the victim will tell me they have already called their wife, mother, husband, etc. It gives peace of mind to the person that may need reassurance at that point in time.

P.S. I am not a developer and I have not installed/paid for any app that adds ICE function to the Droid, but will be soon.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
    I have not installed/paid for any app that adds ICE function to the Droid, but will be soon.
    Me too sweet app!
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    If something happened to you, say a wreck, an Emergency worker would know to hit "Contacts" on your phone and the 3 contacts you assigned as ICE would be highlighted in red and be the first 3 listed.
    Something worth reading on the matter:
    snopes.com: In Case of Emergency (ICE) Number
  6. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Twitter
    Jonny_Ks
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Or is I was knocked out and mugged, with no I.D. , they could call someone in my ICE contacts.
    No opinion on ICE, except that it's not a bad idea to have no matter how you use it.

Just thought I'd randomly comment on the fact that, if someone's mugging you, be sure they're taking the phone that retails for around $600 without contract...that will go for at least $100-200 easily...
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by NickWgnr View Post
    Haha... this makes me laugh. I have never seen any emergency worker ever look through someones phone. Its called a license or ID card.
    I'm going to bring this thread out of the nether-regions, as I just got my droid a couple of days ago and after the initial "Holy Crap! This thing makes phone calls too!" reaction to the droid, I was going to setup the ICE contacts last night. To my amazement, there wasn't one built in.

So, off to the market place to see what I could see. This is when I found this app. Steve, a big kudos to you for creating this! We just bought the app, twice. One for my phone, and one for my wife.

Nick, if you don't think first responders look at the cell phones, you better think again. It's the first place the ER department goes.

My wife is an ER Nurse at St. Vincents Hospital in Toledo, OH. A level 1 Trauma Center. She's also a Certified SANE-A and SANE-P (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner Adult & Pediatric) and Instructor. She's also on the OH1 Disaster Medical Assistance Team. She's also a flight nurse for Kalitta Medflight. (Yes, the race car driver guy owns this company.) And, she's a SANE consultant for Fulton County, Henry County, and Defiance County local hospitals. Oh yeah, she's also second in command for week 2 of the Midwest Medical Mission... But I think she does this to take a vacation by herself, as in without me. LOL

Me? I'm just an aircraft mechanic... Actually my list goes on too, but it's boring.

Anyway, a license or id is nice to have, but it doesn't really tell them much more than who you are, and perhaps if you're a body part donor. That's nice and everything, but when you show up on their doorsteps with a sucking chest wound, your intestines dangling down to your knees, and hole in your head... They really don't care what your name is. They need to know what you're allergic to, and if you're not allergic to anything, just put NKA (No Known Allergies) in that space. They need to know what medications you're taking, so they don't give you something with a contraindication. They also need to contact someone about you. They may also need additional medical information about you.

I've watched a few trauma cases from the sidelines. No editing, no dramatic suspensful music, and no deep voice narrator. It's freekin' amazing the types of split second decisions they make based on the knowledge they have on the patient. That's what this whole things come down to. The more knowledge you can give to a medical staff that don't know you from a doorknob, the better decisions they can make about your treatment.

When a trauma comes rolling in the doors, one of the very first questions from the ER staff is, "Where's the cell phone?" It's by far the quickest way to get the info they need. The more information you can supply, the faster the staff can get what they need to do what they do best.

Steve, once again, thanks for makin' this app. It's the best one out there, and well worth the measly $2.99!

I've been reading all the apps everyone has, yet I don't see anyone who has this listed! It should absolutely be the first one on everyones list!
    Attached Images  
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Ok, after a consultation with the DW, I've determined that the ICE information is more useful to the ER personnel, and not the paramedics, police, etc... They usually don't have the need or time to go looking for that.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Links