DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Really Stupid Question!

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid

Really Stupid Question!

I'm an old guy (47) and know almost nothing about smartphones, so please bear with me. If I buy a Droid, how does the web browsing work as far as time spent browsing, In other words, lets say I have a plan with 700 minutes and unlimited data usage, when I'm surfing the web does that count towards my minutes, or is web surfing unlimited with the 700 minutes only used when making actual phone calls? Also, I use Yahoo almost exclusively for all my internet stuff (email, surfing etc.) I assume I can use the Droid to access all my Yahoo stuff, right. Sorry for sounding like a total moron, but like I said, I'm old...but never too old to learn.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Since you are forced to buy a data plan...($30 for unlimited)..all web related content will be covered by that including Yahoo or anything else you use. The only stuff not included is the texting and phone calls which you have your own plan for.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by nooter99 View Post
    I'm an old guy (47) and know almost nothing about smartphones, so please bear with me. If I buy a Droid, how does the web browsing work as far as time spent browsing, In other words, lets say I have a plan with 700 minutes and unlimited data usage, when I'm surfing the web does that count towards my minutes, or is web surfing unlimited with the 700 minutes only used when making actual phone calls? Also, I use Yahoo almost exclusively for all my internet stuff (email, surfing etc.) I assume I can use the Droid to access all my Yahoo stuff, right. Sorry for sounding like a total moron, but like I said, I'm old...but never too old to learn.
    Any internet surfing falls on your data plan and if it's unlimited then it won't count towards your talk time. As far as yahoo goes, setting your browser homepage to yahoo or even creating a desktop shortcut to mobile yahoo would be ideal and you can set up a yahoo email account in your native email app.

Hope this helps.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1 ---> Droid 3
    I'm an old guy (47)
    You take that back 47 is not old.

and know almost nothing about smartphones, so please bear with me. If I buy a Droid, how does the web browsing work as far as time spent browsing, In other words, lets say I have a plan with 700 minutes and unlimited data usage, when I'm surfing the web does that count towards my minutes, or is web surfing unlimited with the 700 minutes only used when making actual phone calls? Also, I use Yahoo almost exclusively for all my internet stuff (email, surfing etc.) I assume I can use the Droid to access all my Yahoo stuff, right. Sorry for sounding like a total moron, but like I said, I'm old...but never too old to learn.

No, data does not count against your call minutes. Yes you can use your browser just like any other computer, with some limitations, like no flash, yet.
    Droid Army Recruit
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid
    Thanks guys (and girls). another quick question. Is there one main website to get apps from, or are there many? Can you provide a couple of examples? Thanks.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    there is the android marketplace which has an icon on main screen for you. it has thousands of great apps. I've had this phone a few weeks now and I still can't put it down whether it be searching for apps or playing with apps, etc.
  7. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Phone
    Motor Droid & Droid Eris
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Thanks guys (and girls). another quick question. Is there one main website to get apps from, or are there many? Can you provide a couple of examples? Thanks.
    Hello young fellar,

That is an app called "Market" built into the phone, you simply press it and you can browse or text search for apps you ar einterested in. You can also filter for free or fee apps.

All of the apps in the market are "approved apps" but you can change the option on your phone to direct download "3rd party apps", BUT that is not recomended for a young guy like you :-)
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Yea the mobile marketplace is quite nice. You can search apps by category or view all of them and you can filter the free from the paid apps. Very easy to use.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    804 514-4210
    damn....everyone calls me old...i'm 62!

r3
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid
    I hear ya Tripp, you and me aint actually old, I only feel "old" when it comes to technology...and I've been workin' on computers for 25 years!!!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links