DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member.....Verizon Family Share plan question. Wanting to cancel secondary #

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID X

New member.....Verizon Family Share plan question. Wanting to cancel secondary #

I have a family share plan with my mom. We share 1400 minutes (never come close to that), she has a regular flip phone and I have a BB Tour 9630.

So I am wanting to get out of this family share plan and start my own plan . Is there a cancellation fee if the secondary number cancels and starts their own plan? In the long run, Verizon will make more money if I had my own 2 year plan anyways.

Does it have something to do with me wanting to keep my current phone number?

If there is a cancellation fee, could it be an option to keep the line I have now but take away the blackberry plan and the unlimited texting plan ($40 for those 2 I think) and just let that number sit out there and not be used. Then I could just start my own plan..... unfortunately with a different number.

BTW.....this stems from me being tired of my BB Tour 9630 (trackball ) and wanting a Droid X. Plus gain a little independence.

Thanks

MrMorgan

3. Android For Life
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    If you got the BB Tour for free or a discounted price, as part of a new two year contract, then yes there would be a cancellation fee ($375 if I'm not mistaken for smartphones).
    They'd probably let you and your mom split into two seperate contracts 'BUT' keeping the same phones.... but the good part if they let you split into seperate accounts would be that 'both' of you would then be eligible for the 'New every Two' upgrades... but under the family share plans, only the primary line gets that 'new every two' upgrade.
  4. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    No cancellation fee, but you will have to pass the credit check and pay a possible deposit.
    She'll have her own plan and you'll have yours and a X.....

At least thats the way it worked when my oldest jumped ship.
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID X
    Alright......2 replies and 2 different answers.....

Keep them coming

MrMorgan
  6. Android For Life
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMorganUSC View Post

Keep them coming

MrMorgan
    Two different answers based on two separate scenarios...

First one based on you already being in a two year contract after you got the secondary line's phone (your BB Tour) for free or discounted...
  7. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Mine was based on being near upgrade date....

Just call 611 and ask....
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

8. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Here's mine. Call Verizon and ask them.

We are here to help, but who would no better about their plans then Verizon themselves? They can lay out all the different plans they have available and explain it better then we can.

Want to root you Droid or learn how to check your email. Droid Forums. Payment plans? Go to the source. That way you won't get different answers.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Razr Max
    I have a family share plan with my mom. We share 1400 minutes (never come close to that), she has a regular flip phone and I have a BB Tour 9630.

So I am wanting to get out of this family share plan and start my own plan . Is there a cancellation fee if the secondary number cancels and starts their own plan? In the long run, Verizon will make more money if I had my own 2 year plan anyways.

If there is a cancellation fee, could it be an option to keep the line I have now but take away the blackberry plan and the unlimited texting plan ($40 for those 2 I think) and just let that number sit out there and not be used. Then I could just start my own plan..... unfortunately with a different number.

BTW.....this stems from me being tired of my BB Tour 9630 (trackball ) and wanting a Droid X. Plus gain a little independence.

Thanks

MrMorgan
    I have done this several times with my kids, as they have grown older they wanted their own lines. The best way to do this is for you and your mom to got to a vzw store. You have to do what's called "Assumption of liability". All your mom has to do is authorize you to take over the number that you are currently using, she can then change to a lower calling plan to suit her needs. Verizon will run a credit check and if your credit is good you won't have a deposit, if it is questionable they will require $125.

In the past, you were able to get a new phone because you were a "New" customer. Vzw has recently changed this policy. Since you are "Assuming" the responsibility, you're just picking up where your mom left off. The contract stays the same, (with the exception of whatever calling plan you choose) and you won't be able to upgrade until the current contract expires. (you can actually upgrade with a reduced discount at 1 yr or full discount at 20 mo.) This is probably not what you wanted to hear seeing how you're looking to get an X, however I hope it helps you...good luck.
    When life kicks you in the a$$...don't get mad, get even!...kick it back!

D1 SS-GBv5.5-1.25ulv
    D3 Rooted

Razr Maxx-stock JB
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID X
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbk View Post

Keep them coming

MrMorgan
    Two different answers based on two separate scenarios...

First one based on you already being in a two year contract after you got the secondary line's phone (your BB Tour) for free or discounted...
    The contract(s) were started in October 2009

MrMorgan
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID X
    Quote Originally Posted by MrC1122 View Post

Thanks

MrMorgan
    I have done this several times with my kids, as they have grown older they wanted their own lines. The best way to do this is for you and your mom to got to a vzw store. You have to do what's called "Assumption of liability". All your mom has to do is authorize you to take over the number that you are currently using, she can then change to a lower calling plan to suit her needs. Verizon will run a credit check and if your credit is good you won't have a deposit, if it is questionable they will require $125.

In the past, you were able to get a new phone because you were a "New" customer. Vzw has recently changed this policy. Since you are "Assuming" the responsibility, you're just picking up where your mom left off. The contract stays the same, (with the exception of whatever calling plan you choose) and you won't be able to upgrade until the current contract expires. (you can actually upgrade with a reduced discount at 1 yr or full discount at 20 mo.) This is probably not what you wanted to hear seeing how you're looking to get an X, however I hope it helps you...good luck.
    Thanks....

So what if I drop the blackberry plan, drop the unlimited texting and let mom have the share plan herself and just let me current number sit there for nothing while I get a new number.

I guess that won't work since people will still be calling my old number right?

MrMorgan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links