DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Froyo 2.2 and USB Tethering

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Froyo 2.2 and USB Tethering

Good morning.

I've heard a lot of conflicting stories. So, I'm going to the pros here. When I upgrade to 2.2, will I lose my ability to USB Tether? I'm talking unrooted stock D1 here.

Where I live, the internet is a pipe dream so USB tethering is a godsend.

Thank you,
    Uncle Chan
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 1
    What do you mean by lose your tether capability? If you are on stock 2.1 unrooted, you don't have tethering capabilities anyways, unless you downloaded a 3rd party app. And if you did download a 3rd party app (such as PDAnet), you'll still have it when you upgrade to 2.2.

Tethering doesn't come with 2.2 just like it didn't with any other earlier version. But for all versions (including 2.2), a 3rd party app will work just fine and give you tethering.

I was using a paid version of PDAnet on 2.1 and when I upgraded to 2.2 yesterday, PDAnet still works fine.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by HamDog View Post
    What do you mean by lose your tether capability? If you are on stock 2.1 unrooted, you don't have tethering capabilities anyways, unless you downloaded a 3rd party app. And if you did download a 3rd party app (such as PDAnet), you'll still have it when you upgrade to 2.2.

Tethering doesn't come with 2.2 just like it didn't with any other earlier version. But for all versions (including 2.2), a 3rd party app will work just fine and give you tethering.

I was using a paid version of PDAnet on 2.1 and when I upgraded to 2.2 yesterday, PDAnet still works fine.
    That is what I needed to know. I've read conflicting reports. Appreciate it.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

2.2 Tethering, my experience

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I installed the canonical 2.2 (Froyo) last night and noted that the tethering option was there in settings. Plugged into a PC, touched "tether", the PC immediately showed as connected to "Network" and the Droid showed tethering as active. Brought up the browser and got the Verizon "call to pay your bill" page offering $20 for 2Gig (better than nothing).

So, today, I called. The sales rep was puzzled that she couldn't find the code to add tethering, so she escalated me to a tech. After struggling with it for a while, the tech said that not only should tethering work, but hotspot should work as well and he was puzzled that he couldn't add it. He'll call back tomorrow after he has gotten that fixed. We'll see.

As a sidebar, while working with me, he had me run through the *228 update, which, now, connects to phone mail and not roaming update. Not sure what that's all about.
  5. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Please have discussions like this in this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...ns-thread.html

It's a sticky at the top of the page.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct

Links