DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Droid Owners Eligible for Upgrade?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    i was going to wait to root my droid to get the "legal" 2.2 OS, but screw it, im going to root it this weekend. enough of this waiting around.. I want 2.2 already
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    iPhone 3GS
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOldFart View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamko101 View Post
    Ya that was totally my bad, I for some reason looked at the wrong link... what I meant to post up was this:

Some Verizon Customers Targeted for Really Early Smartphone Upgrade | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog
    I'm not sure this is that great of a deal. Here are the 2 requirements that I think are a problem, assuming I am reading them correctly.

- Contract end dates will be extended 24 months.
    - Device eligibility dates and NE2 will be extended 20 months.

This is the way that I interpret that: I got my Droid November of 2009. My contract end date is November 2011. If I were to take this deal then my new contract end date would be November 2013. My NE2 and new phone eligibility date was 20 months after November 2009, or July 2011. My NE2 and new phone eligibility date will now be March 2013.

It makes no difference to me, as there are no phones out currently that I like better than my Droid. If my thinking is correct, that would take you out a long time before you can get a 4G phone when they come out.
    Not true

It's 2 years (Contract) and 20 Months (NE2) from the date you upgrade, not from the end of your existing contract.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Phone
    HTC One - Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidzoo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamko101 View Post
    Ya that was totally my bad, I for some reason looked at the wrong link... what I meant to post up was this:

Some Verizon Customers Targeted for Really Early Smartphone Upgrade | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog
    I'm not sure this is that great of a deal. Here are the 2 requirements that I think are a problem, assuming I am reading them correctly.

This is the way that I interpret that: I got my Droid November of 2009. My contract end date is November 2011. If I were to take this deal then my new contract end date would be November 2013. My NE2 and new phone eligibility date was 20 months after November 2009, or July 2011. My NE2 and new phone eligibility date will now be March 2013.

It makes no difference to me, as there are no phones out currently that I like better than my Droid. If my thinking is correct, that would take you out a long time before you can get a 4G phone when they come out.
    Not true

It's 2 years (Contract) and 20 Months (NE2) from the date you upgrade, not from the end of your existing contract.
    Do you know that for a fact from Verizon? Remember, this is not a normal upgrade; it is a special offer. I have not asked Verizon because I am not eligible and don't want another phone right now, but to extend normally means to add on to what currently exists. If you know this for a fact and are not just assuming then fine. However, if you are just assuming, then your answer has no more credibility than mine, as I am also just assuming from what I have read on the offer.
  4. Jer
    Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Evo 4G, Archos 101
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidzoo View Post

Not true

Do you know that for a fact from Verizon? Remember, this is not a normal upgrade; it is a special offer. I have not asked Verizon because I am not eligible and don't want another phone right now, but to extend normally means to add on to what currently exists. If you know this for a fact and are not just assuming then fine. However, if you are just assuming, then your answer has no more credibility than mine, as I am also just assuming from what I have read on the offer.
    It's true. In fact there were laws passed some years back regarding this issue by the FCC so that wireless providers can no longer do this. This was a way they would rope people into 8yr contracts w/o them knowing. The law states that the maximum allowable extension is 24mos from the date of upgrade or contract signing or promotion offering and the customer must be made aware verbally. They've grown lax on that last part but the rest of if is adhered to by all the providers.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Yep, I received a flyer in the mail yesterday from Verizon. I almost missed it, but on the back cover of the flyer it listed the 4 phone numbers of our family plan and what each number was eligible for. ALL 4 were eligible for early upgrade NOW, even though two of us (my Moto Droid and my daughter's Droid Eris) just purchased our phones in early November when they were first released. Offer expires August 31. I'm REAL tempted, but I'll wait for the froyo OTA update first - which hopefully will be at least a week or two before the end of August. Then I'll make my decision on whether to upgrade to an Incredible or an X - or keep the Droid...
    Last edited by TatDroid; 07-29-2010 at 11:29 AM.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    If VZ offered me the early upgrade, I would definitely upgrade!
  7. Jer
    Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Evo 4G, Archos 101
    For those that got the flyer in the mail or were allowed to upgrade early, what did your online VZW account say? Did it say you were still about 11mos or so away from your upgrade? The reason I ask is because my wife and I bought Droids in November much like others here and we would like to upgrade to X's but no way in heck am I paying the $549 price for upgrading. Our account says we're not eligible for an upgrade yet but I'm curious what others had experienced. If yours said the same thing and you were still allowed to upgrade via phone calls to customer service then I'll start the phone process.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Wife and I did our NE2 upgrades on the day the Droid 1 came out last November. I'm the primary line with a droid; she's secondary with a regular phone. With the current promo they let me upgrade my line to a Droid X. My new 2 year contract will end 2 years from the date I activate my new phone. As is always the case with NE2, you can upgrade at the 20th month of your contract and get the NE2 discount; you don't have to wait until the 24th month. Incidentally, individual plans and the primary line of a family plan can upgrade annually, but without any additional NE2 discount and you may have to pay a fee ($20 or $30) to do the early upgrade. So, when my X arrives I'll give my current droid to my wife. Since we weren't able to upgrade her line early the original contract dates still apply: she'll be eligible to upgrade in the 20th month...next July. When that time comes I'll most likely use her upgrade to get a newer Android phone for myself and give her my X. She's okay wth my hand-me-down phones, because I'm the techie and she has the benefit of having me help her learn her "new" phone since it was previously mine.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    For those that got the flyer in the mail or were allowed to upgrade early, what did your online VZW account say?
    Just checked my account on line and it says I'm not eligible until Nov of 2011. But the "Never Blink" flyer (with a big red "eye" on the front) I received in the mail from Verizon yesterday says otherwise! On the back it lists my "special offers" and says all 4 of our phones are eligible for "lowest promotional price on ANY smartphone". Inside, it lists the Droid Incredible and Droid X for $199, and the LG Ally for $99.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Don't get a new Droid now. In a few months you'll be able to buy 4g phones on their LTE system. Worth the wait.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links