DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best gps/nav app

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Best gps/nav app

Looking for a good gps/ navigation app that will function using gps signals and not rely in wireless network data like Google maps and navigation does.. (ex: when I'm in and area where Verizon doesn't have service but still need to use navigation )

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

3. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    RAZR!
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Hmm I wonder if there even are any. I always use Google Maps and never had an issue with it not working where I went (and I have been to a lot of farm towns too).

Seems like if there was one it would be a really gigantic app because all of the road data would have to be on the phone. I believe that all the GPS does is find your point in the world, so it cannot transfer data.
    The Mooooooon!
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Not sure but I had another thread open on this topic and people kept saying to find a different app that doesn't rely on data unlike Google so again, I'm not completely sure.

5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid2
    Yeah until the phones start coming with like atleast 50gig internal memory you wont see an app like that

Maps would consume about 6-8gigs of data and take your phone prob about atleast 8 hours on wifi and 3 battery charges

Just use google maps, its superior to anything else on our phones, its free, and even if you go into an area where you lack signal the navigation still works though you cant see a map. I dunno ive had my phone since nov and only once have i lost reception for long enough that i was driving blind for a min or so but the directions still worked and named the streets so i was fine.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    There is one called CoPilot that supposedly stores maps on the phone. Its $30 though, so I have not tried it.
  7. Android Addict
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Dröid
    Premium Member
    Might take a look at mapdroyd... that may do what you're looking for.
    Follow me @ViciousCircle

If you like what I do, feel free to buy me a beer
  8. Bang Bang
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Twitter
    juicemane_
    Phone
    G Nexus
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Buy yourself a cheap Tom Tom or Garmin and stick it in the glove box. That or stick with GMaps, even if you drop service, it will still get you where you need to go. BTW, where are you going with no Verizon coverage? Ive hit dead zones out in the country, but never truly lost coverage.

| AOKP Rom | Imo Lean Kernel | Seidio Active |

| Like my work? Donate | | Need me? Twitter |
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    i used the phones navigation to get me from central ohio to myrtle beach. i only ran into a few problems.

in a country part of south carolina it had a warning in the notification bar that it was data roaming. am i gonna get charged for that on my bill? it never gave me an option to stop navigating.

also, at a couple points early on in the trip, it kind of stopped navigating. it would say I still had like 5.4 miles to go, even tho I had driven 1+ miles since then. just had to exit then go back in, but still a little annoying.

10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    I believe the Google Maps app has an option of caching a portion of the maps so you can use it offline. I know I saw a thread about that several months ago, I think the guy was talking about traveling to Europe and he cached all the maps around where he was going to be so he could still use the navigation.
    HTC Rezound... Stock for now, with the Tag Home launcher...
    This link here will answer 90% of your issues: Click Me!

Quote Originally Posted by jntowers
    12 mp camera? are we going to be putting these pictures on billboards?
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Juicemane View Post
    Buy yourself a cheap Tom Tom or Garmin and stick it in the glove box. That or stick with GMaps, even if you drop service, it will still get you where you need to go. BTW, where are you going with no Verizon coverage? Ive hit dead zones out in the country, but never truly lost coverage.
    I live in Oregon and I am going to and area on northern Washington near Canadian border and is pretty much in the middle of no where. I know there is a large section of the county that I have to use my families pre paid att phone to call or text anyone. So with that in mine would my Droid be able to use other carriers data to use navigation and use map when Verizon hits dead zones or doesn't have service but other carriers do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links