DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Google Chrome

19 61.29%
  • Mozilla Firefox

11 35.48%
  • Other

1 3.23%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Google Chrome V/S Mozilla Firefox

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I was also a big Firefox user for years. But I am honest and call things the way I see them, and Chrome is just plain faster and easier to use. The only thing I ever use Firefox for anymore is for GameFAQs and the security featues. (I know there is a Gamefox clone for Chrome, but it is much more limited.)
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Chrome

I'm a Senior IT Tech at work so I can use whatever I wish but I regularly move from Chrome to Firefox and Occasionally Opera when the work out any issues I find in a current release. Personally I'm a Chrome guy and have had my entire family using it ever since its release. Right now I'm testing Firefox 4 Beta because they are finally using proper skins and hiding the menu bar and so on. That's just my opinion of course.
  3. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member
    I found the transition from Windows to Chrome seamless it imported all of my windows bookmarks and basically set itself up. I do use igoogle and almost everything else Google and I am thoroughly impressed with the UI of Chrome. Firefox seems a bit more "Fluff" and a completely different world when coming from windows,

4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    just like everyone else, use to use firefox until i installed chrome about a year and a half ago...maybe two years ago? and will never go back. super light and fast!
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OG --> DX --> GNex
    Quote Originally Posted by icculusX View Post
    I like Chrome because it is simple, the user interface is very easy to understand and navigate, and most of all it is the fastest and least memory intensive browser I have ever seen. Also, google now has nice art 'themes' and a bunch of good add-ons (one being chrome to phone that I use for maps and stuff I want to bookmark on my Droid quickly). I don't see going back to FireFox only because I am so content at Chrome's speed. That and I am a total Google fan (except for that google wave idea! haha...)
    dito.

Also, everyone is missing a HUGE feature Chrome has over every browser out right now! When one tab crashes, the rest don't! You don't lose every tab in the window when one goes down. Just reload that tab and you're back to where you were. I love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigman2 View Post
    Why must people insist on posting these things when my flamethrower is in for repairs?
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by tparker76 View Post
    Yesterday I finally installed Google Chrome so I could make use of the Chrome to Phone
    There's a Firefox plugin as well:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/161941/
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    First off, just FYI, there is a ChromeToPhone firefox addon, and I actually like it better than Chrome's because it allows "send link to phone" in the right-click menu, which comes in very handy if I don't want to actually go to a link or if it's a download link.

These are my main reasons for sticking with Firefox:

1) Firefox Sync (formerly "weave") is what keeps me with Firefox - tabs, history, preferences, bookmarks, passwords (though I use xmarks and lastpass for the latter two). It's awesome being able to go to any computer I own and have the same history, same settings, and accessibility to any tabs I've opened on my other computers. Chrome now has some syncing features, but not near as thorough as Firefox Sync.

2) Faster navigation with keyboard - this one is probably more due to me being used to Firefox, but still, it's an annoyance when I use Chrome. There are two aspects to this one - first, I can hit "ctrl-L" and type "gmail blog" or "hotmail" or "google finance" or "droid forums" and it goes straight to whichever one of those I'm typing, and so far it's 99% accurate. I believe this can be built into Chrome by modifying the default search engine, but haven't figured out how yet. The second aspect to this category is that I can hit "ctrl-L", start typing something, and then simply hit "tab" to navigate through whatever drops down. In Chrome, tab doesn't do that, so I have to move my hand over to the arrow or mouse to select whatever I want that's dropped down. Sounds small, but I don't have to move my hands in Firefox, I do in Chrome.

3) Memory - this one can be debated all day I'm sure, but load up a fresh version of Firefox and a fresh version of Chrome, make sure you have the same addons installed on each, open the same web pages, look in your Windows processes and tell me which uses more memory, total. In my experience, they both get bloated, but Chrome is by no means better in this area.

4) Google - I love that Firefox is simply Firefox and their single goal is to build a great browser. I don't love the fact that Chrome is tied in with Google. It's silly, but my life has enough Google in it with this phone and all other things Google - the last thing I need is a Google influenced browser! This one is by no means a deal killer for me, if Chrome worked out the three above.

5) Compatibility - it's not often, but Firefox is still compatible with more sites and services (like LogMeIn) than Chrome.

What does Chrome have on Firefox, for me anyway? Snappiness - it's definitely snappy, and DOES do a better job of "closing down" memory when tabs are closed than Firefox does. Screen space as well... though I've tweaked Firefox to where it uses less screen space than even Chrome.

This went much longer than I initially intended - sorry about that! I just kept thinking of things.
    Last edited by jntdroid; 07-27-2010 at 09:08 AM.
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naman919 View Post
    Also, everyone is missing a HUGE feature Chrome has over every browser out right now! When one tab crashes, the rest don't! You don't lose every tab in the window when one goes down. Just reload that tab and you're back to where you were. I love it!
    You're right - and Firefox has been behind on this. But I believe the latest release does have the "sandboxed" tabs.
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Firefox, predominantly, although I use Chrome sometimes.

Also, google now has nice art 'themes' and a bunch of good add-ons (one being chrome to phone that I use for maps and stuff I want to bookmark on my Droid quickly).
    Firefox also has art 'themes' and, as already mentioned, 'chrome to phone'.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid
    Ok, dumb question here. I just did the manual 2.2, and I would like to use chrome, but all I know about it is what I've read. I'm not yet rooted, do I need to root to install chrome? Can someone please tell me how to download this.
    Thanks,
    Mark
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links