DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I defragment my SD card? If so, how?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 4

Should I defragment my SD card? If so, how?

It goes without saying that defraging hard drives is critical for optimum performance. So, seeing as how I've got so much data coming and going and getting moved all around, should I defragment my 16GB SD card? If so, how? I tried to do it using Windows Vista, but that method keeps trying to defrag the C: drive first even though I specifically selected my SD. This forum and this community has been a great help to me, so thanks in advance for any input you guys have.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola Razr HD Maxx
    No. you don't defragment flash memory. It will have no affect and it will shorten the life of your sdcard.
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Every 3 months or so, probably not a bad idea to backup your SD to PC so you don't lose anything important, and then just format the SD card (you can do this right from the Droid). Note it erases all apps, data and settings.
  4. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    + 1 for the backups. I make one weekly.

As for defraging -- unless you're using apps2sd I would not defrag. I do, however, delete old files, especially backups.

Mike
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Defrag basically not needed
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas5 View Post
    No. you don't defragment flash memory. It will have no affect and it will shorten the life of your sdcard.
    this business here ^ is correct
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    2 Motorola Droids
    In most cases defragmenting is unnecessary anyways, even on a PC. It was one of those 90's rumors to speed up a computer. Unless you are moving files around constantly it is pointless.

Just copy all your files to a folder on your computer, format the SD card to FAT32, go through and delete stuff from old apps you never use anymore and put all the files back on the SD card. NEVER defrag flash memory, as stated above it will lower the life span of the card.
    Android keeps going, and going.....
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Defragging an SD card is not very helpful. Defragging a hard disc is. The purpose of defrag is to minimize the disc head making large sweeps back and forth across the disc as it tries to gather the data for any given file by making that file contigious. A flash drive has no moving parts. That being said. If you have multiple files downloaded from your computer to your flash drive and those files are heavily fragmented then perhaps the card will have to move more electrons greater distances across the card. But, you'd have to be an actor in Tron to notice the difference.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Just to see what would happen....

I used the MS defrag, just to see what would happen.

In short, (as expected) there was no memory savings, but the picture looks pretty.

Should I defragment my SD card? If so, how?-droid-x2-16g-sd-defrag.jpg
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Evo 4G (MIUI.us v1.12.9)
    I know its slightly old, but these guys are COMPLETELY wrong. It IS beneficial to defragment your SD card. And you should use a program called O&O Defragmenter since it allows you to defragment your drives however you want to, instead of only just one way (usually the SPACE method used by most defragmenters- including Windows defrag)

Below is an outline of the different methods. I suggest using the Complete/Access OR Complete/Name for your SD card. With Access - The apps on your sd card you use the most often, will start up much faster.

---
    The STEALTH-Method is recommended if you want to defragment a hard disk that is nearly full (only around 8% free space). Due to its design, STEALTH is also the method that takes up the least resources.
    The SPACE method is the standard defragmentation mode. It defragments all fragmented files and ensures that consecutive free space is maximized. This method should be used for the regular defragmentation of partitions that are within the normal range of usage. As well as defragmenting fragmented files and maximizing consecutive free space, the Complete methods overhaul the position of your files.
    COMPLETE/Name organizes all files according to filename and directory position. For example, all files that are in the directory Windows/System 32 will be placed next to each other on the hard disk. This method is particularly recommended for system partitions on Windows workstations.
    COMPLETE/Modified sorts all files according to when they where last changed. This is especially suitable for data partitions on workstations, or for fileservers.
    COMPLETE/Access organizes all files according to when they where last accessed. This method is particularly recommended for web servers.

---
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links