DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Asurion No Longer Replacing DROIDs for DROIDs, Production Stopped by Motorola

1. Super Mod/News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    594 times
    Twitter
    @Shadez69
    Phone
    Droid,Droid Bionic/Galaxy SIII
    Premium Member

Asurion No Longer Replacing DROIDs for DROIDs, Production Stopped by Motorola

Asurion No Longer Replacing DROIDs for DROIDs, Production Stopped by Motorola

On 07.22.10, In News, by Kellex

We’ve heard rumors that the original Droid is nearing “end of life” status, but according to cell phone insurance machine Asurion, it’s already there. You see, we’ve received a handful of emails from frustrated readers who attempted to make claims on broken Droids, but were told that it is no longer in production by Motorola and they would have to settle for something else. (See screenshot above.)

The situation is this. Droid owners are paying anywhere from $6 to $8 per month for Asurion insurance in order to protect an investment they made knowing that if something tragic were to happen, they would be covered and a replacement would be on hand. Oh let’s not forget that a steep deductible is also required when filing your claim, although better than paying full price for a new device, it is still nothing to snicker at.

So what’s happening right now? Since the D1 is “no longer in production” claimees are left with 3 options that are essentially a slap to the face. Your choices are the Droid Eris, Motorola Devour or LG Ally. Yes, instead of another Droid you can have MotoBlur and Android 1.6.

Lesson of the day? Be careful with those D1 devices! If you expect to file a claim to receive a replacement, it’s not happening.

droid-life.com
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC ThunderBolt
    That doesnt make sense to me....thought you received a refurbished droid? Should be a happy little circle of life....

Droid -> broken droid -> broken droid gets fixed/refurbed -> handed out for insurance claims
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    I'm considering dropping my coverage because of this. I wont pay a $90 deductible for a lesser product. If I'm going to pay anything out of pocket it'll be for the same thing or better.

Buying a phone from Ebay might be the way to go.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Another reason to never buy the insurance. Unless you lose or break your phone every year it does not add up to being worth it over the longrun.

They should be replacing with D2's once they become available. They should not be allowed to give something less. The contract states someting simlilar.

You can buy a reconditioned Eris for $162 right now. Why pay $100 a year and have a $89 deductable when you are going to be treated like this?
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    That doesnt make sense to me....thought you received a refurbished droid? Should be a happy little circle of life....

Droid -> broken droid -> broken droid gets fixed/refurbed -> handed out for insurance claims
    thats how it is for like everyother phone back in the day of my chocolate 1 many things went wrong many times they gave me the refurbed phone then once 2 came out i got the 2ed one for free im glad i didnt buy the plan
    Moto Krave 2009
    Moto Droid march 2010
    Moto Droid X Dec. 2010
    HTC Droid Inc 2 Oct 2011
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    2 Motorola Droids
    My friend Holly just got a replacement Droid yesterday as a matter of fact. She missed the FedEx guy and my wife and I had to take her to the facility to get it yesterday evening. She got a Droid as a replacement for her Droid (touch screen was extremely messed up on her original).
    Last edited by ChugIt; 07-22-2010 at 09:25 AM.
    Android keeps going, and going.....
  7. DF News Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto DROID !!!
    Premium Member
    thanks for reminding me to cancel my insurance. i thought in november it was a good move, but as it is for 99% of people, phone insurance is worthless
    GTalk: mabramson1@gmail.com
    twitter: @m_abramson
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    nonexistant2k3
    Phone
    Moto Droid, XOOM, Thunderbolt
    Talk about kicking you when you are down. How are those phones similar? Sure they have Android running and they make phone calls but that's about all the similarity I see. Why not replace a 1 with a 2 (when available)?
    There's always a chance, Doctor, as long as one can think.

9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    This is B.S. When I filed my claim recently, they told me I would have to take either a Motorola Devour or some crap Audiovox flip phone. ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?!

So this must apparently be the situation:

Millions of people own the Droid. Let's say hundreds of thousands of them have insurance to protect their DROID. Let's say tens of thousands actually need to file a claim (for whatever reason).

Are they seriously about to deny a Droid and downgrade tens of thousands of people? This is ridiculous...

Insurance should protect an investment, not give you something that THEY think is "of like quality" (exactly what they told me).

Oh, and btw, the Droid Incredible and Droid X is not "like quality." Only worse phones are "of like quality."
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorla Droid
    I admin the cellphones where I work... I just ran into this with the owners son's Droid. They where only offering to replace it with the Motorola Devour.

I called and got really ****ty with them on the phone. The woman stood her ground and said she saw nothing wrong with the offer. Just kept repeating "but sir, its an Android phone, its the same thing!" Convincing her otherwise was not going to happen.

I called VZ and got the user a new Droid X for the same price as the Asurion deductible by using one of other line's upgrade credits. (We have around 70 lines, there are always update credits to use ) I'm actually considering just dropping the insurance.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links