DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't understand the task killer argument...

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

I don't understand the task killer argument...

I see so many people saying task killers are useless but noone ever really explains why. I can give you two examples from the past 15 minutes where I used a task killer.

1) kicked back to my home screen from Dungeon Hunter but it remained open. Tried switching back into it and was stuck on a black screen. Hit my home button, opened up ATK and killed the process. Loaded it up again and it worked fine. How can this not be considered a valid situation where a task killer helped? I know you can kill tasks withot one but this method is much faster.

2) plenty of times after using my phone for a while it will become very sluggish. Check my available RAM and it's under 30. Hit my atk widget and it rises to 70-90. Phone is immediately faster.

And these are just two right off the top of my head. If I don't do number 2 to free up some RAM I can't score higher than 1300 in quadrant, but after killing apps I can score 1600+.

So please stop saying that task killers are useless, I use mine several times a day. You may not like them, but I don't see anyone getting flamed for not using them lol.

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    iPhone 4S daily. Droid and DX
    Quote Originally Posted by velocity92c View Post
    I see so many people saying task killers are useless but noone ever really explains why. I can give you two examples from the past 15 minutes where I used a task killer.

1) kicked back to my home screen from Dungeon Hunter but it remained open. Tried switching back into it and was stuck on a black screen. Hit my home button, opened up ATK and killed the process. Loaded it up again and it worked fine. How can this not be considered a valid situation where a task killer helped? I know you can kill tasks withot one but this method is much faster.

2) plenty of times after using my phone for a while it will become very sluggish. Check my available RAM and it's under 30. Hit my atk widget and it rises to 70-90. Phone is immediately faster.

And these are just two right off the top of my head. If I don't do number 2 to free up some RAM I can't score higher than 1300 in quadrant, but after killing apps I can score 1600+.

So please stop saying that task killers are useless, I use mine several times a day. You may not like them, but I don't see anyone getting flamed for not using them lol.

The argument is primarily about "Automatic Task Killers" when the phone is put into sleep/standby.

The argument of course is "Does it actually accomplish something"? The simple answer is yes. If the applications being used is misbehaved and doesn't suspend properly while in sleep/standby a "Auto-killer" is needed. But if all your apps are properly written then it is simply a placebo.

The second issue was pointed out by you very well. Yes Quadrant can run faster with less apps in memory. It has nothing to do with memory though but the simple fact is the apps are taking CPU time away from Quadrant because they are loaded and don't properly suspend when they are not the foreground app. That is a coding issue created by the application developer, not a memory or Android OS issue.
    Facts are the very first casuality of bad information.
  4. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    I had this long thing I wrote out about task killers and you know what's the point. Truth is these threads are a waste of time and more unnecessary then the task killer by far.

So please, no more threads about task killers.. Pretty please…I beg of you….
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid2
    Bill it really seems that once a new phone comes out in our community that its nothing but task killer, rooting, and i cant figure out threads non-stop. I personally am fine with answering rooting and i cant figure out or how do i do this threads. But it seems that whenever there is a Task killer thread is always the same thing. Same comments, same arguements, same thread.

How about if you want our opinion on task killers dont use em, but if you still wanna use one then fine use it, it makes no difference to us. But why do you need to start threads to just argue your already dead point to people who have been there and back and know from both personal experience and coming from the mouths of Android devs.
  6. Soulless Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    zerosouls
    Phone
    Razr
    Premium Member
    Please why are people still making threads on this lol... just use it or don't, please stop leaning on the community to make up your mind for you on this subject.
    Feel like a geek?: http://gplus.to/GeekPlus
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Has that newly rooted smell...
    Task killers are useless.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I think you guys missed the point of my thread, but my fingers hurt and I don't feel like typing it out. Oh well.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by ShowTime View Post
    Task killers are useless.
    LMAO! Heckler.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    I had this long thing I wrote out about task killers and you know what's the point. Truth is these threads are a waste of time and more unnecessary then the task killer by far.

So please, no more threads about task killers.. Pretty please…I beg of you….
    Read my mind.
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid2
    Quote Originally Posted by velocity92c View Post
    I think you guys missed the point of my thread, but my fingers hurt and I don't feel like typing it out. Oh well.
    We got your point. You want to argue.

Our point is this topic has been beaten to death. If you enjoy using one then do so. But the rest of us do not believe in them and believe from our own experience and what people in and around the Android Development community have said.

I used one until about 2 months ago and i must say once i stopped i noticed i haven't had a single glitch or stupid bugs coming from apps running weird or wrong. And i usually go from 24-36 hours before i need a charge on my phone which is different from it seeming like around mid to late afternoon needing a charge.
    Last edited by gonnadie4thegov; 07-20-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links