DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Moto sets Droid X to brick itself if compromised

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    Larry_ThaGr81
    Phone
    rooted Droid 1 & Thunderbolt

Moto sets Droid X to brick itself if compromised

Root users preparing to upgrade to the Droid X may want to consider holding on to there original Droid phones a little while longer. It appears that Motorola is going to extreme measures to ensure that their phones are no longer compromised. See the link below for more details on this disturbing news.

Chance Of Unlocking Verizon’s Motorola Droid X Gets Even Lower: Say Hello to eFuse | Android News, Reviews, Applications, Games, Phones, Devices, Tips, Hacks, Videos, Podcasts - Android Police

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus i515
    Well, I guess I'll have to think twice about upgrading to another Motorola product in the future.

I have always enjoyed my experiences with Motorola products; however, this is taking it beyond what Apple does with their products. And everyone would probably agree that they are one of the most restrictive with their products and software.
    a little obsessive...
  4. Beta Team
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID X
    Lol, Just when I thought Motorola was embracing change...Ok so I wasn't buying their lame excuse of why they lock their bootloader. Fine...I didn't like it but whatever, but this?! This is just low moto. Moto you did a "no no". :\
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorolla Droid

So much for the upgrade

They can say whatever they want about their business reasons. I would definitely have upgraded, but there's no way I'm buying a phone I won't be able to overclock. None. This is NOT Motorolla's doing, btw. This is Verizon. They twisted Skype's arm, and now their hardware vendor. Other hardware vendors will follow. I may got to Sprint over this.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by thurilok View Post
    They can say whatever they want about their business reasons. I would definitely have upgraded, but there's no way I'm buying a phone I won't be able to overclock.
    Yeah, they pretty much guaranteed you'd be looking to upgrade within a year when they put a measley 256mg ram in the Droid.

That said, I'm not sure at 1ghz that the processor would be the constraint - that's 3G and the apps.

I like the new updates early, but I think the primary reason to root is overclocking and then underclocking for battery performance, both of which would presumably be non-issues with the newer phones.

I like my rooted phone, but I don't think this is the end of the world. I like tinkering, but at the end of the day I don't think I'm getting that much value out of flashing roms. It's not like the extra few features you get a few months early have been earth shattering, either.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I'm tired of hearing this.

eFuse makes software changes to the chipset, this is true. Will it keep the phone from booting up? Possibly, depending on those changes.

So yes, in that sense it will "Brick" a phone.

However it is a software eversible issue. Not hardware. NOT PERMANENT.

That information is widely available on sites including the wiki explaining eFuse, which is used in other applications as well.

The urgent sense and misinformation here abounds.

Simply put, until someone has played with it to see what changes eFuse makes:

NO ONE KNOWS.
  8. Beta Team
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID X
    Quote Originally Posted by RW-1 View Post
    I'm tired of hearing this.

eFuse makes software changes to the chipset, this is true. Will it keep the phone from booting up? Possibly, depending on those changes.

So yes, in that sense it will "Brick" a phone.

However it is a software eversible issue. Not hardware. NOT PERMANENT.

That information is widely available on sites including the wiki explaining eFuse, which is used in other applications as well.

The urgent sense and misinformation here abounds.

Simply put, until someone has played with it to see what changes eFuse makes:

NO ONE KNOWS.
    It's true it's not permanent but only Motorola has the software to reverse it at this point,and still sucks though maybe someone will leak it.

Sent from my Tapatalk using Droid
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Jon,

I'm certain that that will happen.

We'll find out.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy S 3
    Ok... How do you guys think that we got access to the motorola rsd application and the sbf files for the moto droid one to flash sprecovery??? I' pretty sure Motorola have one of of he engineers leaking information to the outside world.

Is simple as this. If that info and softwares never gets leaked, As soon as my droid one breaks, I switch to a freaking iphone.

Iphone are more speed reliable and run more smooh from factory than a droid. The droid x is kind of laggy when you navigate through different screens.

I wont support Motorola if I can't root. Period!
  11. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid A855
    Quote Originally Posted by thurilok View Post
    They can say whatever they want about their business reasons. I would definitely have upgraded, but there's no way I'm buying a phone I won't be able to overclock. None. This is NOT Motorolla's doing, btw. This is Verizon. They twisted Skype's arm, and now their hardware vendor. Other hardware vendors will follow. I may got to Sprint over this.
    How is this Verizon's fault, if there are other Motorola phones, on other carriers, with locked bootloaders?
    FroYo
    Follow me on
    Twitter
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Links