DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm NOT crazy afterall!

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    You most certainly are not crazy my friend. I've noticed this problem too! It is very annoying after owning an iPod Touch (I immediately noticed the difference in fluidity even though I haven't used a Touch since July) I just assumed it was a problem with all android devices because i've never used another android device before.

If there is a fix in the December 11th update it would make this phone better than the iPhone hands down IMHO.

Anyone know a place where we can post problems we think need fixing that'll actually be considered?
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    Isn't the Droid pushing around a lot more pixels than the Eris or the iPhone? A lower resolution screen is going to be more responsive given similar processors. That said, the Android 2.0 is pretty new, I don't have much doubt that software tweeks by Google will only improve this in the coming months.

I've never played with the Eris and kinda glad I haven't. Considering I used to use the Verizon OS (now that was crap!) on a dumb phone, I'm greatly pleased in the responsiveness of the Droid. It's only going to get better and better. This device has huge potential.
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    well i'm glad i'm not the only one who noticed this. To Droids above, the increased screen resolution should not be causing the problems I posted about.

I really hope software patches fix this soon...
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by medicTHREE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by homemadehitshow View Post
    This post is supposed to prove you are not crazy? Buy an Eris is my answer.
    Why is it every time someone posts something that isn't 100% fanboi-esque they get some snide comment back in this forum? I can't believe this is the example the mods leave behind while deleting some posts that make no sense.
    Holy bobby McFerrin dude why the frak don't you lighten up. Ever heard of a joke ? You might wanna check my posts before saying I'm a fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by medicTHREE View Post
    I notice this too on mine and a few other droids. Never seen one that doesn't. I assume it is a bug in the 2.0 software and hope that there is an update that will improve this in the future. I can tell you with 100% certainty that closing apps using a task manager helps by a ton.
    I have absolutely the opposite experience. I had many problems and removing the task killer seems to have taken them all away. 10 days with was nothing but trouble, 10 days since and it's been fine.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by freakintoddles View Post
    To Droids above, the increased screen resolution should not be causing the problems I posted about.
    Really? Your post keeps referencing frame rates which has nothing to do with the operating system display. Do you think the desktops are movie screens? Every time you swipe and the screen moves just a fraction of an inch the entire screen has to repaint. I hear the Droid has a GPU, if that's the case a lot of that repainting is passed to the GPU rather than the CPU but it's still has to repaint a whole lot more pixels than lower resolutions screens.
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    I have experienced NONE of this.Guess I'm lucky Smooth transitions... sometimes I'd get a snag but 2.0 is so new you can't expect perfection. Also I've found some of the home replacements, specifically PandaHome and Home++ make the transitions seemless.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    Another thing... doesn't the iPhone have the same processor as the Droid? Thought I read that somewhere. And one of the biggest complaints that iPhone users have when checking out the Droid is that the iPhone is "smoother scrolling". Of course it is, it's a much lower resolution screen, much less work for the CPU/GPU. The Eris, I don't know it's resolution but the display is smaller so less pixels to repaint, thus it feels (and is) faster. It's a trade off of having the bigger display on the Droid.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3 Verizon
    I have noticed a certain jerkiness in switching screens on my droid, and i can recreate it at will. Or I can have smooth scrolling at will.

Does not seem to be the Droid as much as how you actually do it.

Does not seem to be bothered by running apps, or anything, just how you actually do it.

But that is just what I noticed.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by Droids View Post
    Another thing... doesn't the iPhone have the same processor as the Droid? Thought I read that somewhere. And one of the biggest complaints that iPhone users have when checking out the Droid is that the iPhone is "smoother scrolling". Of course it is, it's a much lower resolution screen, much less work for the CPU/GPU. The Eris, I don't know it's resolution but the display is smaller so less pixels to repaint, thus it feels (and is) faster. It's a trade off of having the bigger display on the Droid.

True however I think the code can be optimized to increase the overall smoothness but you're right, the Droid's GPU has more work to do.

A good example of better coding (in terms of performance) is the Dolphin Browser. Panning around it (and scrolling) is noticeably smoother than the default browser.

To the OP: You cannot just brush over the fact that the Droid has a larger higher res screen. To achieve the same level of smoothness, the Droid's hardware (cpu + gpu) has more work to do. However like I mentioned above, I'm sure the code can be further optimized to allow smoother transitions. Android 2.0 is still a work in progress so I'm sure it will get there.

As for the Eris/Hero, yeah they've got smoother UIs but that's about it. When they're asked to multitask, they lag like no other. That's the main reason I completely skipped over the Hero. The demo Hero at the Sprint store seemed pretty quick the first time I played with it. The second time, someone was checking it out so one of the Reps offered me her Hero to play with. It was so laggy, choppy and slow overall I quickly realized it wasn't the phone for me. And there were only a few things running in the background.

The Droid might have some choppy animation but it's no where near as slow as those other phones and handles multitasking with ease.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola DROID
    As the Eris and DROID were nextdoor neighbors in the store, I, too, played around with both.

And I found that ultimately, the Eris was the trailing phone of the two.

As others have said, I've got no issues with my DROID. It lags a little here and there, but so did the iPhone, so did the Voyager, so did the KRAVE, and every other (semi-)smart phone I've ever owned.
    "The only verdict is vengence; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and voracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous."
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links