I've read several threads regarding traveling abroad but haven't come to a specific conclusion on what the best option would be for a Droid user. I have a Motorola Droid and will be traveling to two European countries. Verizon wants to charge me ~$2/minute but I know there are other options.
1. I do not mind only making calls via wifi. I could leave my phone in airplane mode. I basically just need a phone to call home (US) every once in a while.
2. Texting would be a plus but it is not a necessity.
3. I have a Google Voice account and if this would help at all I could use it.
4. I am willing to use SIP? once I figure out how/if it works.
5. The people I intend to call (home) do not have Skype, let alone smart phones.
If I could please get a clear response regarding this issue, I would be extremely thankful! I've noticed many topics such as this but still haven't come up with the answer I want Thank you SO much in advance!!