I have an HTC Incredible..
I also have... a broken LCD Screen on it.
I do not have ... Insurance.
You would think that I would regret that deciision... but.. no...
Verizon insurance on advanced devices is $6 a month. (7.99 soon?)
so, on a 2 year contract that is $6x24 = $144.
$89 is the "deductable" for a replacement phone.
That makes the total $239 spent for a replacement.
But what are your options if you break something without insurance?
1. Retail price $529 from Verizon for a new retail phone.
2. Repair from HTC? $75 labor plus parts = $225ish..
3. Repair from local shop? labor plus parts if they can get them...
4. pre-owned Certified Pre-Owned Devices The Incredible is not yet available as a pre-owned phone, But Verizon sells these as certified pre-owned devices, you can be "eligible" for purchase if you break/lose your phone and you do not have insurance. The price for a motorola droid is $249 currently..
5. Use older phone - possibly save $30 a month on data charges.. When I did this they automatically took of the $30 data plan off my account. I have my "old" phone currently while my incredible is being repaired.
I currently have my phone in for repair at a local shop, the guy assured me he could get the part and that it was an "easy" replacement. WE are waiting for parts now.
So, if I had insurance I would be spending $89 (plus shipping?) for a "new" phone, but I know for a fact that Asurion (the company that does the insurance for verizon) will send you a refurbished device almost exclusively.
I have not had expeirence with phones and a replacement plan via a retail store like best buy, but I expect they would be expensive.
So... my opinion on insurance is... DON'T BOTHER!!
I expect to pay $150 or so for my replacement screen on my incredible, that seems better than paying $6 a month + $89 deductable for a total of $239 over the two years.. Not to mention that the value of the phone is going to go down and a replacment will likely be cheaper in a few months anyway..
Oh... and I see that Verizon is charging 7.99 for their insurance, you have to choose the asurion only option to get it down to $6.00 a month..
I hate anything that increases my monthly bill. That was almost a deal breaker when I had to move to the $30 data plan, but I decided to do it anyway.
I will post again when my repairs are complete, or if it doesn't work out...
Anyone have good/bad/ experiences with insurance/asurion?