DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: ditching iP4...going to droid ?

Member #
    Phone
    droid X

ditching iP4...going to droid ?

Hi all,

New to the droid world. well actually, I'm not there yet. Just returned my iphone 4 today and reverted back to my 3G until my contract is up next month. I'm definitely going to verizon because I'd like to be able to make PHONE CALLS again. LOL
    Anyway, just trying to figure out if I should go with the HTC incredible or with the Moto X. I'm of the mind that HTC makes a sturdier phone, but haven't owned a motorolla before.

My main question is....is there a thread I can go to that can explain(very plainly) what all these droid terms mean? for example, root,froyo,etc. These are all foreign terms to me.

Also, I had 30 days to return my ip4 for a full refund and cancel my new contract. Is this how it is with verizon/droid phones?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid hacked
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwinger2001 View Post
    Hi all,

New to the droid world. well actually, I'm not there yet. Just returned my iphone 4 today and reverted back to my 3G until my contract is up next month. I'm definitely going to verizon because I'd like to be able to make PHONE CALLS again. LOL
    Anyway, just trying to figure out if I should go with the HTC incredible or with the Moto X. I'm of the mind that HTC makes a sturdier phone, but haven't owned a motorolla before.

My main question is....is there a thread I can go to that can explain(very plainly) what all these droid terms mean? for example, root,froyo,etc. These are all foreign terms to me.

Also, I had 30 days to return my ip4 for a full refund and cancel my new contract. Is this how it is with verizon/droid phones?

Thanks in advance!
    Yes Verizon has a 30 day return policy but charges a $35 restocking fee.
    "Froyo" is Android 2.2 operating system.

"Root" is a term used for root access to your phone kind of like
    "jailbreaking" an Iphone which gives you more customization and hacks to be applied.

As far as everything else there is a search feature on the main page and you always have google or this http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hac...igy-lingo.html maybe?

Edit: And by the way Im willing to put money on it that you wont be disapointed with switching to Android and the network that works!!! Or you could hold your phone different or get a case lol

Edit: If anything I personally would wait for the Droid X.. My Droid 1 has been amazing and Motorolas been around forever and know how to make a quality phone.
    Last edited by bje1982; 07-05-2010 at 02:54 PM.
    Sent from my computer with my keyboard.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    VZW Note 2
    Root - gain SU (Superuser) access, ex. Admin powers. kind of like jailbreaking a iPhone
    Froyo - newest Android OS (2.2)
    ADB Shell/ADB - Part of the android SDK, it's pretty much the console (command prompt) of your android phone
    ROM - A OS image that you flash onto your phone. These can be Stock, Modded, or "Optimized" versions of any Android OS...for your phone choice, it'd be Android 2.0+ ROMs. They are pretty much custom versions of the different android os's
    SPRecovery - custom recovery image.. this allows you to install ROMs, make backups of your phone data (Nandroid)
    Clockwork Mod - same as SPRecovery. If I remember correctly, it is a more simplified recovery image.

These are some of the terms you will see A LOT
  4. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    to the Droid Forums, we are glad to have you here.

I don't consider the Incredible to be a Droid, it's really IMHO an Android phone. Nothing wrong with it, it's a great phone. I say if it doesn't come from Motorola it isn't a Droid.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...op-asking.html

Sorry about that title, that's just the name of it. Read all the stickies in the hacking section and hacking help section. That's the best way to understand what is going on with rooting. Right now the most customizable phone is still the Motorola Droid.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    VZW Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by bje1982 View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

"jailbreaking" an Iphone which gives you more customization and hacks to be applied.

As far as everything else there is a search feature on the main page and you always have google or this http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hac...igy-lingo.html maybe?

Edit: And by the way Im willing to put money on it that you wont be disapointed with switching to Android and the network that works!!! Or you could hold your phone different or get a case lol
    I think the restocking fee depends on your contract..
    My sister just got the Droid Eris, and she wanted to know if she could bring it back to get the Blackberry. They told her she had 30 days and a $25 restocking fee =/
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    DrOiD
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    to the forum!! If i were you i'd get the droid X Nice to see another iphone user go android!!
    *~*Corinacakes*~*

-Keep your political and religious views off this forum.
    -We are here to have fun and learn, so please try and keep it that way for everyone!

If you like my work and would like to help get my nails done I'd love it!
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid hacked
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftLegend View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

My sister just got the Droid Eris, and she wanted to know if she could bring it back to get the Blackberry. They told her she had 30 days and a $25 restocking fee =/
    the standard restocking fee is $35 but if you shop at a 3rd party it could differ or depending on how the rep feels that you deal with at Verizon Ive even seen people skate the fee completely I guess it depens on a few different factors.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    VZW Note 2

the standard restocking fee is $35 but if you shop at a 3rd party it could differ or depending on how the rep feels that you deal with at Verizon Ive even seen people skate the fee completely I guess it depens on a few different factors.
    True, I got like 3 discounts on my Droid, cause the salesman started talking to me a lot. Since he's a new customer, it will probly be $35, unless he uses charm and flirts lol.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid hacked
    True, I got like 3 discounts on my Droid, cause the salesman started talking to me a lot. Since he's a new customer, it will probly be $35, unless he uses charm and flirts lol.
    Well he better have nice eyes lol I think since OP is a new customer they would waive the restocking fee if he made a little fuss or batted his eyes a lil lol
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    VZW Note 2
    Well if you get the Droid X, you won't want to return it. Since you're an old iPhone user, you'll be used to pure touch screen keyboards so you shouldn't have any issues, unless you just don't like the phone itself.(dunno if that's possible lol)
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links