DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Droid X or wait for Dual Core

1. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ewells2420 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    You might want to make sure LTE is going to be in your area....
    lol @ your sig. First rule of unarmed combat LOL. You crazy ass marines.
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I have also thought about this as well, given that I have a free upgrade now ive decided to wait for this 2ghz phone from motorola, I just asked myself is it worth going for the droid x, or am I content with my modded droid...i went with the latter, with cyanogens version of froyo coming out in s few weeks or less, I'm excited to put new life into my Droid...plus front facing cameras are a big thing with me being a new father and not being with my little girl all the time, it'll come in handy for me and her mom
    CM 6.1.2
    Stock Theme/ADW Launcher
    P3's 1.2ghz LV Kernal
    Quadrant 1709
    Next phone: TBA
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    111 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmart922 View Post
    I have also thought about this as well, given that I have a free upgrade now ive decided to wait for this 2ghz phone from motorola, I just asked myself is it worth going for the droid x, or am I content with my modded droid...i went with the latter, with cyanogens version of froyo coming out in s few weeks or less, I'm excited to put new life into my Droid...plus front facing cameras are a big thing with me being a new father and not being with my little girl all the time, it'll come in handy for me and her mom
    BAM!!! took the words right out of my mouth. Except i have a 4 year old and new twin girls. Other than that i share the same sentiments
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Fascinate
    I would personally not go for the first dual-core phone that comes out. Like a car company going with a completely new engine, theres more than likely going to be some quirks that need to be worked out, I would wait until they get all the bugs out if you are gonna wait, but the current phones right now arent going to be completely outdone, unless you do intense app use.

My $0.02
    Samsung Fascinate
    EC01 Debloated
    1.3 GHz VooDoo kernel
    Mix of themes
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post
    IMO, unless some seriously intense apps come out (video editing, some flash games), an overclocked Droid is plenty fast enough.
    I agree. Admittedly I don't use as many apps as some users, but I haven't ever said to myself "man I wish this thing were faster" while using the Droid so far. I suppose it will depend on what new stuff becomes available in terms of apps and games in the coming months.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Phone
    Moto X / 4.4
    I'm tempted by the DroidX big time but here's my take...

Alot of people are saying go ahead and buy a phone now because if you always wait for the next best thing there will never be a good time. However, unlike the past 6-7 months the next jump in smartphone processors will be huge, with both a doubling of clock speeds and/or a doubling of cores. After they move to a dual core platform I doubt if the DroidX will look so juicy. Not only that, we all know that LTE tech is coming. I live in D.C. so i know I'm going to have it in my area. If you wait until fall you'll probably have a phone with enough a$$ to handle whatever the next OS delivers and the ability to use a 4G network. that should make your phone current and capable until the end of your contract.

There's nothing, so far, that my MotoDroid prevents me from doing for now, but if your phone is absolutely behind the curve and you can't do the small things, I recommend an upgrade. BUT... If you can hold out for 6-7 months you will be well rewarded.
    Last edited by Dusty; 06-29-2010 at 10:21 AM.
    Member #
    Twitter
    @virtaclesmile
    Phone
    HTC ThunderBolt
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    I'm tempted by the DroidX big time but here's my take...

Alot of people are saying go ahead and buy a phone now because if you always wait for the next best thing there will never be a good time. However, unlike the past 6-7 months the next jump in smartphone processors will be huge, with both a doubling of clock speeds and/or a doubling of cores. After they move to a dual core platform I doubt if the DroidX will look so juicy. Not only that, we all know that LTE tech is coming. I live in D.C. so i know I'm going to have it in my area. If you wait until fall you'll probably have a phone with enough a$$ to handle whatever the next OS delivers and the ability to use a 4G network. that should make your phone current and capable until the end of your contract.

There's nothing, so far, that my MotoDroid prevents me from doing for now, but if your phone is absolutely behind the curve and you can't do the small things, I recommend an upgrade. BUT... If you can hold out for 6-7 months you will be well rewarded.
    I couldn't agree more! My modded OC'D moto droid is just as good as any 1ghz phone on the market right now IMHO, sans 4.3" screen. I can also make it look like whatever phone is out right now. I'm sticking with the droid right now, and will make a decision when the right time comes.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Man... the more I see the HTC 4G EVOs that my friends are getting, the more I really want the Droid X. Those phones are SO nice, its not even funny. The screens are ridiculous, and puts the Droid's size to shame.

I am not currently rooted, and will most likely do so before even thinking of upgrading. I'll wait for Froyo as well before making any decisions, but man... But, I did just get my Droid in early February, so its not like I even have the choice to upgrade now.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I still can't decide, I just love the sexiness factor of the Droid X but it's missing couple things that I want from my next upgrade, the most important being the front facing camera and it being a world phone. I'm in the army and when I get deployed I want to take my phone with me. also I have family that live in turkey so I want to bring my phone with me over there as well... and I want the front facing camera to keep in touch with family members over there and my gf over here. I don't care so much about LTE. I'd love to have it, but right now, 3g works for me.

that being said and people always saying the should I wait thing is stupid because if you keep waiting there will be better phones come out, I say expect some features from a phone and don't make the commitment until they come out. right now the only thing with the Droid X I like is the HDMI output (which apparently only shows device captures media, so I won't even be able to use it effectively until someone roots it which will take a very long time) and the bigass screen... and I don't really care for the keyboard either

so what I say is, want some features from a phone, and if it has most of it, or better yet all of it, get it. if not keep waiting...
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Beardface View Post
    Man... the more I see the HTC 4G EVOs that my friends are getting, the more I really want the Droid X. Those phones are SO nice, its not even funny. The screens are ridiculous, and puts the Droid's size to shame.

I am not currently rooted, and will most likely do so before even thinking of upgrading. I'll wait for Froyo as well before making any decisions, but man... But, I did just get my Droid in early February, so its not like I even have the choice to upgrade now.
    I'm in the same boat... I have the Droid for 8 months now and once rooted and OC'd it acts like a nexus one/incredible, so I'm not behind the power curve, but my buddy's evo is just so damn sexy! but it can pretty much do everything it can do besides front camera and 720p camera and 8mp pics...

someone really needs to develop and hack the camera to take 720p video like they did to the nexus one
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links