DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3G slower by the day...

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid

3G slower by the day...

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the droid and smartphones in general. While i have maany questions, this is one i would like a few expert answers on.

When i first got the moto droid, i was amazed at the internet speed. Hell, it was close to dsl speeds.

Forward ahead 3 months, and the speed is becoming a bigger concern everyday.

I live in the middle of nowhere Ohio, so i dont expect blazing speeds at home. But recently, 3G had slowed even in "good areas." (Eg. In sight of a tower.)

I've exchanged phones done resets, cleared memory, installed hybrid prl, but still slower by the day.

I understand that vzw is adding about 150,000 new users to the network each day. Can they possibly keep up with this demand?

I'm wondering how long it will be before were all holding bricks...

Any answer or advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Mark
    Midohiomemorials@yahoo.com
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid - Verizon
    you raise a good point and quite a few people were telling me similar in the cm koush irc channel today. when I first got the droid I was hitting roughly 2mbits/s up and down.

today i got like 75kbits/s down and 100kbits up.

tried new kernels, walked around, reflashed..etc maxed 350kb/s

not even close to my orginal speeds. Youtube is impossible to play and streaming audio is constantly dropping. I don't know if they are lowering speeds or maybe I just have a local net issue (the tower is visible from the house) usually i run a perfect signal in my area.

but that is a SUBSTANTIAL drop in quality and speed. hopefully it gets sorted

note: i think the 150k/per day thing wasn't verizon specific.. that was google phone activations from all carriers.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    i've been having the same issues in l.a. i just figured it was because about half of my shop has droids all of a sudden. i hope it gets fixed because it just comes to a crawl at times.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Motorola droid
    Hey guys, I wanted to point out something. Just because you can see a tower does not mean that it has your carrier on it. I used to build and upgrade cell towers and I have been on little 90 ft monopoles with 1 system and up to 7 systems. I have been on 700ft. guyed towers with 1 system and up to 9 systems. This could have an effect on why you think you should be getting super fast speeds and are not able to.

But I also think these that it has to do with the amount of information that is trying to be transferred and it overtaxing the system. Take heart in the fact that we're on Verizon because it is going to handle so much more data than AT&T and take a whole heck of a lot more Droids to bring it to a grinding halt like what happened with the iPhone.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid - Verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by azules9780 View Post
    Hey guys, I wanted to point out something. Just because you can see a tower does not mean that it has your carrier on it. I used to build and upgrade cell towers and I have been on little 90 ft monopoles with 1 system and up to 7 systems. I have been on 700ft. guyed towers with 1 system and up to 9 systems. This could have an effect on why you think you should be getting super fast speeds and are not able to.

But I also think these that it has to do with the amount of information that is trying to be transferred and it overtaxing the system. Take heart in the fact that we're on Verizon because it is going to handle so much more data than AT&T and take a whole heck of a lot more Droids to bring it to a grinding halt like what happened with the iPhone.
    That's nice, but this tower is registered under Verizon. Not all towers are listed under who actually owns them, but in this case it actually is.

and the problem at least for me is it IS bringing it to a grinding halt. downloads are slow as F, youtube is unplayable, I can't stream any audio as it drops to buffer every 10 seconds.
    Last edited by LrdElderon; 06-25-2010 at 11:31 PM.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung something or other
    Same here in atl. speed has decreased noticeably.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid (soon 2B Old-School)
    I've noticed it too. I was on BB, and everything kept getting slower — push "home" and wait, slide to another screen and wait, press the drawer button and wait... so I switched to JRummy's Kangerade V1.0, and I THOUGHT it was better, because I was on wireless all day at work.

But then go to 3G, and ~bam~ — we're back to a crawl. I guess I need to pony up the 3 bucks and get SetCPU and see what's really happening.
  8. Super Mod/News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    594 times
    Twitter
    @Shadez69
    Phone
    Droid,Droid Bionic/Galaxy SIII
    Premium Member
    I havent even had 3G since yesterday..I've just been blaming it on solar flares and Nostradamus's 82nd quatrain, "And a large crash shall be heard, people will look to the skies, and the signal cease to exist.. untl tomorrow)
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I have noticed the same decrease in 3g the last couple of weeks. Dling the lastest base band seemed to help. Not sure if *228 does anything to 3g?!?
  10. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadez View Post
    I havent even had 3G since yesterday..I've just been blaming it on solar flares and Nostradamus's 82nd quatrain, "And a large crash shall be heard, people will look to the skies, and the signal cease to exist.. untl tomorrow)
    ^^lol... and I hate typing lol

I have noticed this as well... not a huge difference in my area, but a difference nonetheless. I live in DFW, and AT&T is definitely faster here, by quite a bit. But here's the difference... Verizon's connection is so darn consistent that the lack of speed is irrelevant b/c AT&T's is not consistent (though it IS improving).
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Links