DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can the Droid act as a WIFI device for a laptop?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Can the Droid act as a WIFI device for a laptop?

When I signed up for the Droid a few months ago I thought the salesperson told me it can act as a WiFi device for say a laptop.

Is this true and if so how do I make the connection work when I'm in an area that does not have WiFi for my computer but I can get a full signal on the Droid?

3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Rooted with 2.1 or Running 2.2 and wireless tether from the market and your in business.
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    Rooted with 2.1 or Running 2.2 and wireless tether from the market and your in business.
    I believe I have the 2.1 version. I'm not the most technologically advanced individual so could you point me in the direction to find the wireless tether and what exaclty is invloved in setting this up?

Thanks!!!!
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X2
    There are also 2 programs that do it without having to root your phone.

EasyTether and PDANet

Of course, Verizon sells a service for about $20/month (I think), so they are not going to like you using any of the other ways.
  6. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathos View Post
    There are also 2 programs that do it without having to root your phone.

EasyTether and PDANet

Of course, Verizon sells a service for about $20/month (I think), so they are not going to like you using any of the other ways.
    Both work Well and are easy to use.
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Thanks and I appreciate the info. I believe the laptop has Windows Office 3 on it. Will both of these apps support this?

Also, I assume no physical connection between the phone and laptop is necessary?

Thanks again!
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Back the truck up. He said he's a non-techy. How about a bit of explanation on how he gets wifi working?

As mentioned earleir...you have to root your phone. Rooting means you have to gain access to the parts of your phone that Verizon would rather you not have access to. But they can't stop you because you own that device. Android is all about open source and users being able to do what they want with their device and Verizon is well aware of this. So what they say is they don't support rooted phones. Once you root you really do own that phone. You get to figure out how to fix what goes wrong. the good news is many many many non-techy people have succesfully rooted their phones with the help of members of this forum.

Once you gain Root Access you can then install a custom kernel on the phone that opens up the wifi capabilities. Then you install Wireless Tether for Root Users from the market place. Before you root and install the custom kernel, Wireless App will do absolutely nothing for your phone.

If you want to learn about rooting, go to the Hacks forum and read the sticky threads. Going from 2.1 to root is an advanced process...but the guides are well written. Going from 2.1 to 2.0.1 (yes...backwards) and then root is a very simple process, but seems like a lot of unneccesary steps.

Let us know what specific help you need if you decide to go that route. Posting those questions in the Hacks forum will get better results though.

I use my Droid as a WiFi hotspot when I travel and it works beautifully.

Something else to consider is we all think that when 2.2 (Froyo) is released for the Droid it will include WiFi out of the box. No rooting neccesary. So if you can wait, that may be the best way to do it in the long run. But if you need it now, root the phone. You can always return to stock when 2.2 officially rolls out.

Nate
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by namakan View Post
    Thanks and I appreciate the info. I believe the laptop has Windows Office 3 on it. Will both of these apps support this?

Also, I assume no physical connection between the phone and laptop is necessary?

Thanks again!
    The two apps he mentioned require a USB connection. If you want to do ti wirelessly, you have to root for now or you have to wait for 2.2 official release.

Nate
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    DROID - rooted
    I can help you root if ya want too, it's easy (:
    Ultimate Droid
    Need help rooting or putting on a custom ROM? PM me!!!

Thanks for allowing me to be the second member ever for the Spotlight of the Week in the Rescue Squad section!!

11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    The two apps he mentioned require a USB connection. If you want to do ti wirelessly, you have to root for now or you have to wait for 2.2 official release.

Nate[/QUOTE]

Nate

I only need to do this a few times a year so having a cord is no big deal if I don't have to go through with this rooting thing.

Just to clarify now. All I need is one of the apps mentioned and a USB cable from the computer to the phones charging port and I'm in business?

Thanks again and I apologize for being so ignorant with his stuff.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links