DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: 20% of Android apps can get personal data?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #

Exclamation 20% of Android apps can get personal data?

This isn't good news for android... this makes me not like my droid so much, and could explain the really bad issue I had with text message interception a few months back... 20%?? I don't install much, but now I wonder about some of the apps I do have...

Revealed: Why Android beats iPhone for organized crime - Computerworld Blogs

3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    I'm not worried at all....
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Just as with a computer, don't go out and install everything because you can. Also, reading reviews and paying attention to what the installer says the program is going to access helps to protect you. Why would a flashlight app need to access your call logs?

LithiumMod/Watermark'D/OpenHome - Dark Dreams
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    This report coming from a company wanting to sell you anti-spyware and ant-malware? LOL! Nothing like pushing FUD down peoples throats to sell your products on a device.

SMobile, Mobile Security Software for smartphones and other mobile devices. Exclusive BlackBerry Antivirus Provider

The purveyors of FUD and snake oil. Gotta love it! Instill some fear and doubt and sell your crapware to the masses. Business as usual. What makes me laugh even more is that Computer World is even covering this as a story. It should be calling them out for trying to drum up business by preying on consumers fear. What a joke of a report and an even bigger joke by Computer World for reporting this as a news story.

Not to mention that the ass clown of a blogger that wrote this heap of crap is a self proclaimed "Apple Holic" if you look at his description. Seriously this is crap to the nTH degree.
    OG Droid w/ Pete's GPA16 w/ stock Kernel using auto OC script. (retired)

LG G2X w/ rooted 2.3.3 leak.

It's OK for your Droid to be different. Just be supportive and reassuring and it will do just fine. It's when you or other people point at it or mock it for being different is when its' feelings get hurt. Just show it unconditional love regardless of its' differences and it will in turn reciprocate that love and loyalty.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by mchoffa View Post
    I don't install much, but now I wonder about some of the apps I do have...
    You should have been wondering at install time when the warnings popped up.

Also, as always, consider the source of the article.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    For $29.95 a year SMobile can offer our services to protect you! Read the scary report and buy our product or your Android phone will kidnap your puppy and text your momma the ransom demands! What a joke. This is what it has come down to? I already sent SMobile a nasty gram being more or less my sledge hammer self.
    OG Droid w/ Pete's GPA16 w/ stock Kernel using auto OC script. (retired)

LG G2X w/ rooted 2.3.3 leak.

It's OK for your Droid to be different. Just be supportive and reassuring and it will do just fine. It's when you or other people point at it or mock it for being different is when its' feelings get hurt. Just show it unconditional love regardless of its' differences and it will in turn reciprocate that love and loyalty.
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkseider View Post
    This report coming from a company wanting to sell you anti-spyware and ant-malware? LOL! Nothing like pushing FUD down peoples throats to sell your products on a device.

SMobile, Mobile Security Software for smartphones and other mobile devices. Exclusive BlackBerry Antivirus Provider

The purveyors of FUD and snake oil. Gotta love it! Instill some fear and doubt and sell your crapware to the masses. Business as usual. What makes me laugh even more is that Computer World is even covering this as a story. It should be calling them out for trying to drum up business by preying on consumers fear. What a joke of a report and an even bigger joke by Computer World for reporting this as a news story.

Not to mention that the ass clown of a blogger that wrote this heap of crap is a self proclaimed "Apple Holic" if you look at his description
    . Seriously this is crap to the nTH degree.
    Yea, I'm kinda surprised at Computer World too...It is the blogs tho. I dont think I would see this in the print edition. I hope I wouldnt...

I guess u could say the same about Linux desktop OS too huh....but dont u need root access for any app to do any harm? I'm new to Android so I dont really know.

Quote Originally Posted by taeratrin View Post
    Just as with a computer, don't go out and install everything because you can. Also, reading reviews and paying attention to what the installer says the program is going to access helps to protect you. Why would a flashlight app need to access your call logs?
    I second this.
    Last edited by jroc; 06-23-2010 at 09:41 AM.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    I agree. It's a sad piece of tabloid "journalism" (?). Unfortunately, it's a ridiculous article about a real issue. The problem is not that a hacker might send text messages from your Verizon account. Even if it's possible, it's an insignificant problem.

A much more significant problem is voluntarily turning over information to a third party under the guise of "signing up" for a service associated with an application.
    Curmudgeon Member of Rescue Squad

Links