DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Companionlink defect and poor support

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Companionlink defect and poor support

Like many new Droid owners, I am seeking a way to sync contacts and calendar from Outlook; since I don't use Exchange, I downloaded the trial version of Companionlink. I immediately discovered a (for me) showstopper defect: events added to my Outlook calendar by associates located in other timezones are shown at incorrect times in both my Google Calendar and in the Droid's Calendar. I immediately reported this to Companionlink. The support person who responded threw a lot of chaff in the air, e.g. "you have too many events in your calendar". It took more than a week to convince him that this behavior is incorrect ("sync means the calendars should be identical, right?"). With my 14-day evaluation down to 3 days, I asked that Companionlink either state a time frame for correcting this defect, or acknowledge that it would remain uncorrected; the evaluation expired with no response to this request.

Think twice before relying on this company or its products.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Incredible Droid
    If you search the forums the best way is to export from outlook, import to google (gmail) and your done...
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I'm seeking continuous synchronization, not a one-time procedure.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    droid
    I had the same problem. I decided not to purchase their program. Unfortunately these "boutique " outfits are just one or two person organizations who have real jobs and are just supplementing their income. Buyer beware!!!
    Stick with the corporate programs and save yourself a headache.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    droid
    I had the same problem. I decided not to purchase their program. Unfortunately these "boutique " outfits are just one or two person organizations who have real jobs and are just supplementing their income. Buyer beware!!!
    Stick with the corporate programs and save yourself a headache.
  6. Supporting Vendor
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Premium Member
    AAY56, I'm very sorry you got such poor tech support from our organization. I've pushed your comments to my QA team for examination. You can email me directly at mailto:wayland@companionlink.com and I can extend your evaluation and get you the real answer by about 11am Pacific time today (Friday Nov 27). The time zone problem is likely fixable.

We are a boutique shop, but moved past the two people phase back in 1988. CompanionLink currently runs a call center with ten techs, and they handle an average of 200 calls and 300 emails per day. That means 20 calls and 30 emails for every person. This is a US based staff that is well paid and gets health benefits, so our tech department is a half-million per year operation by itself. Does it run the way I want to? Certainly not. Any time you get ten individuals working hard, some for many years, it becomes a work in progress. I'm sorry to see you find our growing pains.

CompanionLink techs support all smartphones, including BlackBerry, iPhone and Droid. For Droid, our current software goes through the Google Calendar and Contact API. The Google Calendar API, now 3 years old, is notorious for time zone and DST issues. We have a lot of code to work around things the API won't do. Google Calendar is a work in progress, so for something we fixed two years ago, we often see Google modify the server side without notice. Without people reporting things I'm not sure if we'd see all the changes. My employee did the wrong thing, and should have reported the issues upstream for my QA to look at and see what is not working right. It is a very high priority that all Google events show the same time as Outlook events using any version of Outlook, and any method for event creating including through Exchange and by meeting invites.

I too would love Google to be realtime sync. We have realtime sync for a number of our devices, and we implement whenever possible. Last I looked at the Google Data API we still lacked the needed functions.

We have a wireless sync technology that could bypass Google and sync from your PC to your Phone in realtime. We do it with BlackBerry, iPhone and Windows Mobile. We don't do it with Droid because the Droid Calendar API is unpublished, and so is currently no official way to make an app that writes to the Droid Calendar.

Anyone is free to call our tech support 503-243-5200 hours 7am-4pm Pacific Time. Or if you don't get the service you expect, just email me mailto:wayland@companionlink.com. We certainly want to work for everyone's business, and make sure they get the synchronization they need from PC to their new phone.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
    www.companionlink.com
    Last edited by clcto; 11-27-2009 at 08:26 AM.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by clcto View Post

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
    www.companionlink.com

Thank you Mr. Burns for admirably replying to this thread. I wish there were more CTO's out there would would openly respond in this manner.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by clcto View Post
    For Droid, our current software goes through the Google Calendar and Contact API. The Google Calendar API, now 3 years old, is notorious for time zone and DST issues. We have a lot of code to work around things the API won't do. Google Calendar is a work in progress, so for something we fixed two years ago, we often see Google modify the server side without notice. Without people reporting things I'm not sure if we'd see all the changes. My employee did the wrong thing, and should have reported the issues upstream for my QA to look at and see what is not working right. It is a very high priority that all Google events show the same time as Outlook events using any version of Outlook, and any method for event creating including through Exchange and by meeting invites.
    gSyncit correctly handles events created by associates in other timezones.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Incredible
    I second the praise Tekmazter gave to Wayland Bruns. I had a sales/support problem. He replied and took personal responsibility immediately and ordered a refund for the purchase I just made. Maybe he can still salvage my situation if he responds as quickly as he did a few minutes ago.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links