DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: How is Facebook killing my battery?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

How is Facebook killing my battery?

I usually go to bed with my battery at about 60% after using the Droid all day without charging.

Today the red light came on after about 3 hours off the charger, with almost no use. It was at 10%.

I launched CPU Usage, and it says Facebook is using 88% of the CPU. And the phone is hot. When I long-press Home, there's no Facebook running.

So what's up?

I don't have WiFi, Bluetooth, or GPS on.

3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    This happened to me yesterday morning too! I have the Facebook widget on my home page. Normally it uses very little battery. But yesterday morning my battery dropped to less than 15% in just a few hours, and the CPU Usage screen said Facebook had used 86% of it. I did a soft reset and everything has been fine since.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    I'm not sure what's up with that, however I can tell you that the long-press on the Home key does not show you currently running apps, just the last few that were opened.
    You can download SystemPanel from the Market, it's a lot like Windows Task Manager and shows you exactly what's running and how much memory/cpu it's using.
    HTC Rezound... Stock for now, with the Tag Home launcher...
    This link here will answer 90% of your issues: Click Me!

Quote Originally Posted by jntowers
    12 mp camera? are we going to be putting these pictures on billboards?
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchb2 View Post
    I usually go to bed with my battery at about 60% after using the Droid all day without charging.

Today the red light came on after about 3 hours off the charger, with almost no use. It was at 10%.

I launched CPU Usage, and it says Facebook is using 88% of the CPU. And the phone is hot. When I long-press Home, there's no Facebook running.

So what's up?

I don't have WiFi, Bluetooth, or GPS on.

I had nearly the same scenario today. Nearly fully charged the battery before I had to pull it off the charger. About 4 hours later after moderate texting and two short phone calls, I'm at around 40%. The back of the phone was hot. Phone usage log shows FB has used about 83% of my battery life. I have never had FB at the highest rank on battery usage, even during my most FB-obsessed days. I don't use the widget, only the shortcut. My refresh interval is always set at one hour. I have minimal notifications that show up on my page but aren't pushed out.

I can't recall if it showed up on my running services log but I force-closed anything that was open. It has not restarted - I re-charged my phone and FB is not showing up on my list of services using battery life. I also turned off all FB notifications.

I usally get awesome battery life and it kind of freaked me out. I'm glad it happened to others as well - perhaps the FB app just spazzed out today. The only other thing I did today was update my Movies app, prior to the FB freak out.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Same thing happened to me this morning. Luckily I caught it when the program had only been running for an hour, but it had killed 30% of the battery in that time.

Killed FB through CPU Usage and it fixed the problem. However, something is very disturbing about this. What was Facebook doing, and why was it constantly running for an hour behind the scenes on its own? Seems to me there might have been a virus with the FB program itself.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid
    How do you see cpu usage? My phone dies pretty quick too. never makes it past 1pm.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Are you guys using Juice Defender? I noticed today that my phone was abnormally drained. I had updated Juice defender last night. I noticed that it would come on and try to synch data for 1 minute every 15 minutes. It had never done this bwfore nd drained the battery so much. disabling it solved the problem. I'm wondering if you're having the same problem but since it is facebook whose data is trying to synch they're the ones getting the blame and not Juice Defender who is causing the synching..
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    D3
    Well, the answer is clear. Though it's one of the two, so not completely clear.
    A. Too many "friends" posting about what they had for lunch.
    B. Facebook is solving world dominating algorithms on our phones.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Had same issue, turned off facebook notifications because they come via email already and solved the problem. Solved that problem quickly

Links