DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Droid or Eris or wait for the Passion?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto e815

Droid or Eris or wait for the Passion?

I have been following the Droid since the first post on HoFo's first prerelease thread. I was convinced it was the phone for me, but then the nagging doubts began. To me Droid is the best out there in terms of speed and processing power, but the UI is not very attractive. Maybe not fugly but close. The fact that Motorola released the Droid with the camera issues it has and not having BT voice dialing working kind of makes me wonder if the Droid really isn't ready for prime time. I'm not sure after all this hype and anticipation that I want to deal with workarounds until these issues are fixed.

The ERIS' UI is beautiful. It looks like HTC will be upgrading to 2.0 in time. However, I don't know if I can live with the slower processor. Compared to the Droid, there isn't much information or many reviews on the Eris yet.

The Passion seems like it might offer the best of both worlds, but if it really exists, HTC has managed to keep a tight lid on it.

There have been hints to wait for a couple of weeks after the Droid is released and see what happens. I'm not sure what this means--perhaps the Samsung Android?

All comments would be welcome.

Ps. I just came across Droidforums.net, and this is going to be my first stop for Droid news. It is laid out better than other forums on the subject.

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Fascinate
    I've been following this as well. I see the HTC video posted in another thread here and love that interface. But, I love Motorola phones because I live in an area that barely gets a signal, and Moto tends to pick up a signal better out here in the woods.

There are things about the droid like the keyboard and camera that make me second guess it, but i'm going to take the plunge.

Once thing I think I will do is get it on a 1 year plan. Phone sequals tend to come out in about a year, so this way when the refined DROID 2 comes out, i'm not locked into a 2 year contract and will be able to upgrade.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Wait for the Passion. That thing has a Snapdragon processor, nothing can beat that. And with HTC SENSE UI...
  5. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    352 times
    Twitter
    droidforums
    Premium Member
    Welcome to the site! I would go down to the Verizon store and spend some time playing with each phone. I'm normally the type of person that does a lot of research on any product I buy regardless of price. I just like to be 100% positive when I lay out the cash for something. If you have some doubts, wait a while, read the reviews and first impressions from other members. Maybe this forum will hold you over until the passion gets released
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by danDroid View Post
    Welcome to the site! I would go down to the Verizon store and spend some time playing with each phone. I'm normally the type of person that does a lot of research on any product I buy regardless of price. I just like to be 100% positive when I lay out the cash for something. If you have some doubts, wait a while, read the reviews and first impressions from other members. Maybe this forum will hold you over until the passion gets released
    Thanks, and I agree. Probably going to wait until Christmas until I make my decision on a Droid phone, anything could happen over the next two months. If anyone is torn between what Droid phone to get, they will all most likely be released before the holiday season starts.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    I think H4J has the right idea. I made the stupid decision to buy the Storm first day it was out. Had I waited even a week, I never would have made that decision.
    2-3 weeks will surely give enough time to 1. tell id the Droid is worth all the hype. and 2. If there is something better in the pipeline.
    For me, I'll probably but the Eris. I like the looks, the Sense UI, and it will hold me over till next year when the real horsepower comes out.

BTW - From what I have read, while the Snapdragon is fast, battery life will be a big issue.
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    You have 30 days to return the Droid if you don't like it. That was the same situation for the Storm. One month should be plenty of time to figure out if the phone is for you or not.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by JhankG View Post
    You have 30 days to return the Droid if you don't like it. That was the same situation for the Storm. One month should be plenty of time to figure out if the phone is for you or not.
    Well, as the saying goes, "Monkeys Learn".
    Problem was, I really believed the hype. Everyone said it would get better. It has been a year, and I am tired of waiting.

As the infamous George Bush says: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me ...can't get fooled again"
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    I wonder how Sense UI is going to stack up against 2.0.
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    I'm in the same boat, liking the droid and eris, wanting the passion to combine the best of both.

My plan is to wait 2 more weeks, and rethink the situation. During the next two weeks, we should have more rumors of what will be offered during the holiday season, if the passion is to come out.

From verizon's pov, it would make the best business sense NOT to have the passion come out within the next 30 days, so they aren't stuck with a lot of returned droids. Of course, if the droid were to sell out fast, they'll be rushing out whatever they've got next.

BTW, it was really hard to leave the verizon store empty-handed. I love the new droids.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links