DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should our internal storage be at?

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    See my sig, silly!

What should our internal storage be at?

I know that it's going to be different for everyone but I've always had around 90-110mb of free space available. Maybe a week ago I noticed I had 72mb of free space and today it's down to 65mb. I have not installed any new apps so I'm wondering, what's eating up all the space? I also have not been putting loads of "mirrored" apk files in the /system/app folder, actually to the contrary.

So what's eating up my space? How do I determine what it is and what's normal?
    Droid Razr
    Custom Dialers for D1
    My broken glass icons: Broken Icons | Android Logo Icons (in progress): Android Icons

3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Premium Member
    I haven't gotten to the point I'm concerned about the available memory, but I to have noticed it slowly decreasing over time even though I'm not installing an new apps. This has happend with a number of varying stock and custom roms I've used.

Maybe one of the developers can jump in on this and shed some light on what is happening.
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I noticed this once. I began looking around and found that I had over 600 deleted emails in the trash folder, once I deleted all of those my memory went back up. Every couple of days I make sure to go in and delete the trash folder too..
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    A Droid
    Cache is eating up your memory. Even tho you are not installing new apps, the current apps may be caching. For example anytime you visit a website the browser may or may not cache the site. The News and weather widget also uses a lot for internal memory. Others notorious apps are the market, Youtube, Personal assistant (If you are using it)...etc.

Try clearing the cache of these apps and you will see the memory usage decrease.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by grreenpanda View Post
    I noticed this once. I began looking around and found that I had over 600 deleted emails in the trash folder, once I deleted all of those my memory went back up. Every couple of days I make sure to go in and delete the trash folder too..
    Bingo. I've noticed an uptick in questions like this over the last month or so. I suspect it's because people have begun to experience low memory situations after extensive use of email and messaging. These apps need to be "cleansed" of data and cache from time to time.
    Curmudgeon Member of Rescue Squad
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    See my sig, silly!
    Quote Originally Posted by specmac View Post
    I haven't gotten to the point I'm concerned about the available memory, but I to have noticed it slowly decreasing over time even though I'm not installing an new apps. This has happend with a number of varying stock and custom roms I've used.

Maybe one of the developers can jump in on this and shed some light on what is happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nice95gle View Post
    Cache is eating up your memory. Even tho you are not installing new apps, the current apps may be caching. For example anytime you visit a website the browser may or may not cache the site. The News and weather widget also uses a lot for internal memory. Others notorious apps are the market, Youtube, Personal assistant (If you are using it)...etc.

Try clearing the cache of these apps and you will see the memory usage decrease.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
    Bingo. I've noticed an uptick in questions like this over the last month or so. I suspect it's because people have begun to experience low memory situations after extensive use of email and messaging. These apps need to be "cleansed" of data and cache from time to time.
    Please remember that I'm not talking about memory. If you're paying attention to your wording, then realize no where did I mention memory, but rather storage space.... space on the partition available.
    Droid Razr
    Custom Dialers for D1
    My broken glass icons: Broken Icons | Android Logo Icons (in progress): Android Icons

8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim #777 View Post
    Please remember that I'm not talking about memory. If you're paying attention to your wording, then realize no where did I mention memory, but rather storage space.... space on the partition available.
    Sorry, Jim. You'll have to be more specific. If you have a Droid you have about 256 megabytes of "memory," much of which is used up by storage of the o/s and various apps. You also have an SD card with 16 gigabytes of storage available.

If you are used to running "90-110 megabytes" of free space on your SD card, you have taken up a massive amount of storage space with something. Mine runs about 11 gigs of free space and I have hundreds of songs and other stuff on my SD card.

If you've partitioned your SD card, perhaps what is being reported is the amount of free space available in a particular partition.

I strongly suspect you are, indeed, talking about the storage available to memory and that varies directly with the amount of cache and data associated with various apps. And the total available is 256K. I'm currently running about 40 megs free and have for the last six months.
    Last edited by jsh1120; 06-06-2010 at 04:05 PM.
    Curmudgeon Member of Rescue Squad
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Android will put a running low on space notification in your notification bar when you're down to 26 MB (i.e. 10%) free.
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I don't think paying attention is the issue. In your OP you state that you haven't installed any apps. Apps are installed in phone memory. The Droid has phone memory for such storage as well as the SD card (which is technically also memory, FWIW) for external storage.

To clarify, where and what exactly are you checking?

So what's eating up my space? How do I determine what it is and what's normal?
    "Normal" obviously depends on your particular usage. You'd have to keep an eye on it to determine what your baseline is.
    Last edited by takeshi; 06-07-2010 at 08:50 AM.
  11. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Tab
    Quote Originally Posted by rjax View Post
    Android will put a running low on space notification in your notification bar when you're down to 26 MB (i.e. 10%) free.
    Is there any solution to this issue?

Best Regards,
    Jackson
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links