DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Making calls from overseas...with wifi only?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Making calls from overseas...with wifi only?

Ok guys so first off let me apologize if this has been covered already. I did a search but couldnt find my exact question

So I am in the Navy, and I will be on deployment in Djibouti for the next 6 months. I had my droid put on hold for the next 6 months. I was wondering if there is anyway I can make calls using wifi only. I tried with Skype, but they do not allow wifi calling. Is there anyway for me to call the US using only a wifi connection?
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Try "fring" out. It can work over wifi with builtin Skype interface- unlike Verizon's branded version of Skype which only works over 3G. So go to fring- make FREE Mobile calls, video calls &live chat to other fringsters, GTalk, AIM, Facebook, Yahoo and others. or if you want to get it from the Market, do a search of "fring".

Hope this helps ;-)
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    Fring, Skype if the app gets better... Have a safe trip.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I downloaded fring, but for some reason I cant get it to work. I loaded my skype contacts, and it loaded all my regular contacts for me. I have credit in my skype account, but when I try to call any of the number it doesnt go through. I even tried the +1 in front of the number.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    Have tried and tested Fring and works fine with wifi only. The fring server handles the Skype interface just fine. Have tested this on a Fring to Skype call, as well as a Fring to land line phone. Normal charges of 2.1 cents per minute on Skype.
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Incredible
    im also navy also deploying this month... i downloaded fring turned off the network and turned on wifi but when you go to call a us phone number it trys to dial it using my phone service. So it says turn off aiplane mode and if your service is suspended for deployment it isnt going to work.. im searching for a better app if not im going togo with iPhone 4... lots of guys on the ship have that and dont have their skype blocked like incredible... if anyone knows one PLEASE let us know
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    i remember getting an email from fring a while ago saying skype is now blocked through them also. so i dont think that way will work. if you dont want to switch carriers you can also get an ipod touch. i had one and didnt even realize i could make skype calls on that just like an iphone.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MotoDroid
    With fring (or sipdroid) you can sign up for a SIP server such as sipgate. You have to pay per minute usage, but it will allow you to make calls over WiFi.

If you don't want to pay per use on a sipgate account, there are instructions on how to make sipgate free with sipsorcery and google voice. You can follow this document:
    Unlimited Free Calling with Google Voice

However, sipsorcery is not allowing free accounts anymore. You can buy an invite for a sipsorcery account...
    Sipsorcery New Accounts

Links