DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Android phone with no data plan?

1. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1686 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    If you want something that runs android on wifi then check out the archos 5 its sort of the android version of the ipod touch.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    keep your fingers crossed that something like the dell streak comes verizons way. all you need with that is a data plan. you can use google voice along with skype to replace the voice plan. $30 would be cheaper than a voice plan.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Android Phone without Data Plan

I have 2 lines on verizon. One is a droid with data and that's my daily driver. But I have another cheapo phone that is sort of a backup phone. I tend to use it when I'm using my droid as an internet connection for another device or when looking up stuff on the droid and want to have a conversation at the same time. The biggest reason that I would want a dataplanless android phone is for syncing my address book to this extra phone. The smoothest thing for me would likely be 2 fully activated android phones but I'm having a hard time justifying that extra expense. Somebody earlier in this thread said that a droid could be activated without data. Do we have confirmation of this from Verizon?
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Phone
    Samsung Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by droidly View Post
    I have 2 lines on verizon. One is a droid with data and that's my daily driver. But I have another cheapo phone that is sort of a backup phone. I tend to use it when I'm using my droid as an internet connection for another device or when looking up stuff on the droid and want to have a conversation at the same time. The biggest reason that I would want a dataplanless android phone is for syncing my address book to this extra phone. The smoothest thing for me would likely be 2 fully activated android phones but I'm having a hard time justifying that extra expense. Somebody earlier in this thread said that a droid could be activated without data. Do we have confirmation of this from Verizon?
    None of the major carriers will allow you to activate an Android without a data plan. Your best bet would be to activate the Droid on a prepaid carrier like Page Plus. They will have a small data allowance, but bear in mind that the data allowance is very small (I believe it is 100 MB per month) and if you go over, they charge something like 60 cents per MB for overages, so you better make sure that you only use it on WiFi.

That said, it appears that when Verizon introduces tiered data, there is talk that a family share data plan will be offered as well.
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    LG Marquee
    Quote Originally Posted by HolyGrail View Post
    Yes, the droid will work without a Verizon plan, if you only want to use wifi and not make phone calls.
    As for skype, the catch is the skype version on Android is disabled on a wifi network, so you won't be able to use it to make calls, without getting service for the phone.
    Not correct. Skype work fine on the WiFi only ASUS Transformer I have.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links