DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: stubby fingers

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

stubby fingers

Okay, so I'm new to the Droid. What's the trick for pressing keys (when using the onscreen keyboard) with any accuracy at all? I don't have the tiniest fingers, but neither are they that big, but I hardly ever get the letter that I'm expecting when using the onscreen keyboard. Keys on the slideout keyboard are pretty small, too, and more user friendly for those with fingernails. Any suggestions from those of you who use these all the time? I can't imagine that anyone puts up with the kind of frustration we're experiencing here.
  2. Super Mod/News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    594 times
    Twitter
    @Shadez69
    Phone
    Droid,Droid Bionic/Galaxy SIII
    Premium Member
    Their are diff keyboards on the market, I think it just takes getting used to and not to try to hard.. have you tried any others?
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Yes - don't stress, it just takes a bit of practice. When I first got mine, I couldn't even use the on-screen key board - I fact, I could hardly use the physical key board without using some kind of small pointy object to press the keys.

Now, after three months, I hardly ever use the physical key board (except for some special word processing, or Excel stuff,) and I'm almost up to, two thumbs on the on-screen key board - Though I in no way can compete with the two thumb thing of my 30 yr old daughter and her friends ....
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    Samsung Note 3
    I've had my droid for 6 months. I have pretty big fingers. I'm still learning how to type faster/better on the keyboard. Practice is key to success, especially in this area. I can almost type faster on the physical keyboard now vs the virtual.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Oh and, I can't say how many half finished, badly miss-spelled text I sent out because I accidentally hit send ... I got back a lot of text saying WTF?

you'll get use to it ....
  6. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Premium Member
    there are two keys to success for me... one, like others have said, is practice.. but two, and this is what really made the difference for me since it was my first touchscreen, is understanding how the "pointer" actually works. let me explain. when you are looking at your computer screen, the pointer is just that--a pointer. the part that actually "clicks" or selects what you want is the point of that arrow (top left hand pixel of the arrow graphic, specifically). your phone works more like a fingerprint scanner or actual ink-on-paper fingerprint. imagine you do the ink pad thing and BARELY touch a piece of paper. the mark on the paper corresponds to the center of your finger, the part that touches the screen FIRST, rather than the top left corner of your finger like the pointer on your computer.. does that make sense? whatever key/link/button you are pressing needs to be centered under your finger, rather than where you can see it. basically, you need to completely cover the key/link/button as if it were a physical button you have to press down, rather than "point at".. i know, that's a wordy explanation, but it's the best i have. hope it helps! stick with it, i have fat thumps too and it works just fine for me after some practice. also search "swype" or "shapewriter"
    -Respect is rule #1
    -Email us at DroidForumPromo@gmail to become a Supporting Vendor.
    -Not around as often as I used to be... Still, feel free to PM me if there is anything I can help with!
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Thanks to all

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Will keep working on it!

Links