DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Question cuz I'm curious haha

1. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)

Question cuz I'm curious haha

In the droid commercials in the fine print it says "Droid" is owned by Lucasfilms. So I assume Motorola and Verizon license from Lucasfilms to be able to use the word. But what about all the droid sites out there? Did droidforums have to get permission to use the word droid in their website name? Droidlife? all the other droid sites...just wondering.
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I thought about this too to some extent. I mean it's called a droid (I actually didn't know the word droid was owned by lucas arts lol) but the droid thingy doesn't look anthing like a star wards char, or this has NOTHING to do with Star Wars.
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    I think technically, if Lucasarts wanted to go after every site that used the term "Droid" to make money, then they could. The trick is that they have to be using the term to make money.

As far as this website goes, I think it's an NPO, so it's not bound the same way legally. IANAL and this is just my best guess.
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by razorseal View Post
    I thought about this too to some extent. I mean it's called a droid (I actually didn't know the word droid was owned by lucas arts lol) but the droid thingy doesn't look anthing like a star wards char, or this has NOTHING to do with Star Wars.
    well it has to do with star wars in that there are "droids" in star wars. like r2-d2 and c3po are droids...haha i sound so nerdy. but just wondering, the word droid is owned by Lucasfilms, but does that mean we can't use the word droid anywhere without permission. i find it hard to believe the "mom and pop" droid websites got permission from Lucas, so I assume it's not necessary.
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    well it can't be non-profit/non-commercial as there are ads on the site so that explanation doesn't work...i think you're right that if Lucas wanted to he could, but it's probably not worth his time or money to pursue something like that

i could be wrong and droidforums.net could very well have gotten permission to use the word, although i doubt it
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    Having ads doesnt mean this website isnt an NPO.... It also doesnt mean that people cant be paid to operate it.... It simply means that there are no shareholders and profits are only used towards operating the organization.

It may not be an NPO, I really dont know, but ads and collecting fees for premium members does not in and of itself negate the possibility of an NPO.
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by LtKen View Post
    Having ads doesnt mean this website isnt an NPO.... It also doesnt mean that people cant be paid to operate it.... It simply means that there are no shareholders and profits are only used towards operating the organization.

It may not be an NPO, I really dont know, but ads and collecting fees for premium members does not in and of itself negate the possibility of an NPO.
    I don't know man. I'm having a hard time believing droidforums.net qualifies as an NPO under any gov't standards haah...but i guess stranger things have happened.
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO

Links