DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Placing call on hold, answering incoming call

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Placing call on hold, answering incoming call

This is potentially a very stupid question, but I don't have the phone in front of me and the user manual really doesn't cover this.

How do you place the call you're on on hold and answer another incoming call?

Thanks!

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by simkie View Post
    This is potentially a very stupid question, but I don't have the phone in front of me and the user manual really doesn't cover this.

How do you place the call you're on on hold and answer another incoming call?

Thanks!
    Continued...

Surely with the technology available, these so called "Smart Phones," we should be able to place a call on hold and answer an incoming call. I like my new phone, but I have a few other, "how to" questions as well.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I am a little surprised this isn't more obvious. My personal phone--the Cliq--has "ignore" "answer and hang up" and "answer" options when a call comes in when I am on another call. The Droid does not have these options.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Answering the new call places the current call on hold. You can toggle between them with the swap icon that shows up when you have 2 calls active.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Phone
    RAZR
    this is why i really like this forum..i knew this had to be a function on the droid but just never got around to figuring it out...and i havent had to use that function yet....i knew it was in there tho.....thanks...
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Answering a new incoming call puts the current call on hold, and you can swap between the two at any time as well. However, if you try to end any one of the two calls (by swapping to it and tapping the "End Call" button), both calls are disconnected.

The same is true if you are on a call and try to "Add a call". The current call shows "on hold" and once the new call is connected the screen displays options to either "Merge calls" or "End call". I have not tried merging calls although I am sure it will work just fine, but if I "end" the second call, it also ends the first call that was on hold.

There should be a way to end just one call if you have another one on hold.
  8. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by insomniac View Post

I tell them to hang up.....
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by insomniac View Post
    Answering a new incoming call puts the current call on hold, and you can swap between the two at any time as well. However, if you try to end any one of the two calls (by swapping to it and tapping the "End Call" button), both calls are disconnected.

The same is true if you are on a call and try to "Add a call". The current call shows "on hold" and once the new call is connected the screen displays options to either "Merge calls" or "End call". I have not tried merging calls although I am sure it will work just fine, but if I "end" the second call, it also ends the first call that was on hold.

Say "bye" and then hit swap?
    Also, if they disconnect first I imagine the phone will just swap to the other call.

This is just theory however. I rarely have two calls at once, and most often I just ignore and call them back that way I don't make the other person just sit there waiting. Depends on who is calling though. I have yet to have this situation on my Droid.

But the most effective would just be to swap from the call you would want to hang up on. If the conversation clearly made both parties understand that the call is over, once you swap over the other person is going to hang up. And now you'd have one active call.
  10. DF News Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto DROID !!!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by simkie View Post
    I am a little surprised this isn't more obvious. My personal phone--the Cliq--has "ignore" "answer and hang up" and "answer" options when a call comes in when I am on another call. The Droid does not have these options.
    off topic, but how do you like the Cliq? and you have the Droid too? how do they compare?
  11. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Saying bye to an automated service does not work unfortunately. So while these workarounds may work in some cases, this is a basic feature that should be supported and hopefully will be in one of the upcoming OTA updates. "I" need to be in control of calls made and received on my phone and how long they last, not be at the disposal of the party on the other end to end a call.

It would still be better if I can end the current call before accepting the new incoming one but there isnt a way to do that either. If I am on a call and another call comes in, I can only accept or reject the new incoming call. There is no way to end teh current call and accept the incoming one. And sometimes I may not want the incoming call to go to voicemail and call them back. You can think of a number of reasons where this is applicable.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links