DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Going on a cruise? Make sure to turn your phone off.

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Please do not take this as an attack. It is not. But if I had someone on my phone plan, who may not know all the ins and outs of a smartphone, and I knew that person was going on a cruise, I would explain to them the importance of either getting an international roaming plan while on the cruise, enabling airplane mode/turning off roaming, and/or just leaving it at home. Explaining to them, failure to do so could result in a huge bill. Also if she wasn't planning on using the phone while on the cruise, excpet for use as a time piece, why take it in the first place? I don't think Verizon should eat the cost just because your mom didn't know about roaming.
    Last edited by vthokies1996; 05-18-2010 at 10:09 AM.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    bionic for now
    so to shorten the story, its verizons fault your mom didnt know how to turn off roaming data... did i miss something or is that pretty much it? should they have paid for the cruise too, you know to make sure every customer is happy. it just amazes me that people think others should pay for there mistakes. your mom made a mistake, not verizon.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid
    Well for me I want to say thank you. Cause even though I know this phone is always pulling data, I would of never remembered that in a CRUISE, in fact that would be the last thing on my mind. So I agree with the op. Now that I read this thread it probably won't be the last thing on my mind I'm sure it'll be the first before I get on that ship lol.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by littlerick View Post
    so to shorten the story, its verizons fault your mom didnt know how to turn off roaming data... did i miss something or is that pretty much it? should they have paid for the cruise too, you know to make sure every customer is happy. it just amazes me that people think others should pay for there mistakes. your mom made a mistake, not verizon.
    Winner! You got it.

Look, all valid points. When I was on the phone I was completely transparent with the fact that I understood that the phone was pulling data.

The reality is, these phones are being used by normal people, not just dorks who live on web forums. This is where I take issue. When I explained the circumstances, as a long time customer, I believe that I should have been taken care of. If not, then fine. I will take my business elsewhere.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Incredible
    Sorry, but your mom is at fault here. She had the phone, kept it on, and let mobile data on (which connects and updates). Every cruise ship clearly has information on their data and mobile charges, and a simple call to Verizon prior to leaving would have easily cleared it up.

Ignorance is not an excuse. I'm not a Verizon apologist, but in this case, I have to take their side.

I just returned from a cruise about two weeks ago, and it was plainly obvious at the port (through multiple signs, statements, etc.) that there could be charges. In fact, the documents that you sign prior to getting on the ship address that very issue as well. I don't know for sure what cruise ship she was on, but I know that it's similar for Royal Carribean, Carnival, and Celebrity, all of which I've been on.
    Last edited by solorca; 05-18-2010 at 10:29 AM.
  6. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1699 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Even if it was the Ops mother's fault, verizon could be better about it as far as customer service is concerned. It is an honest mistake and they can try to work something out.
    If they know they have "an International Data Service", then be customer friendly and just charge them what that rate would be for the trip. That is what good customer service would do.
    I can see in away why the op would be angry considering the circumstances. Now I am not, and I do not think the op is, saying the mother is not with out responsibility. That is the one negative about vzw, they gouge you to death.

Op try to see if you can reason with someone. What may help is you telling theom you will downgrade all your smart phone lines for basic call plan.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid
    I mean seriousely 355 bucks is like pocket change for VZW. And now they r goin to loose thousands if the op goes to another carrier.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by swaldrop View Post
    The reality is, these phones are being used by normal people, not just dorks who live on web forums.
    Knowing how your phone works and what it can do doesn't make you a dork. It makes you a person that doesn't get blasted with a $355 roaming charge for not knowing any better, or for not informing the other party on your plan of how it works. You would have saved a lot of money had you just bought her a cheap casio watch or something haha.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Thunderbolt & Xoom
    Quote Originally Posted by peterjariel View Post
    I mean seriousely 355 bucks is like pocket change for VZW. And now they r goin to loose thousands if the op goes to another carrier.
    Really the only person losing out is the person who sells their phone, pays etf's and switches to another carrier. This wont even be a blip on Verizons Radar.

Sometimes a "smartphone" is only as smart as its user.

10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by bamfsig45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by peterjariel View Post
    This wont even be a blip on Verizons Radar.
    True that and Verizon knows it. This is why it's silly to try and maintain any sense of loyalty. It's a wash for me as far as cost to get in to a new contract. I will however save quite a bit monthly.
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Links