DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Droid Eris - the real Dark Horse

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Droid Eris - the real Dark Horse

Today I happened to pass by a Verizon booth at the local mall and they had the Droid and the Droid Eris both on demo. Since I already own a Droid I just causally picked up the Eris and started playing with it. Oh Boy.. was I impressed!!

It really makes my Droid look like an early engineering prototype. So nice to hold and not that bulky or boxy. Pinch and zoom were functioning too. Easily at least 2 generations ahead of the droid in terms of polished software. I'd say far slicker than the iPhone too. The desktop somehow had this surreal 3D background effect.. i don't know how they do it.

Now I am wondering if I should return the Droid and settle for the Eris. Do try it out next time you have a chance.

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    well it should be a lot more polished, its running 1.6(nm the fact that its just a rebranded hero) or some such not 2.0 like the Moto, so its had a lot more time to be polished. the Eris is a really decent phone overall though, cant beat the price and you can update it to 2.0 later( manufacturer wanted to polish their UI for 2.0 which is why it was realeased with 1.5 or 1.6, whatever the heck its running).

I wanted a physical KB and while the droids isnt the best I have gotten used to it. Also the Droid is running better hardware and its only a matter of time before 2.0 gets a good spit polish
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    The scrolling of the desktop screens was also smoother on the Eris. Love the way you unlock the screen on it.

Do you feel the vanilla android 2.0 with all the spit polishing will ever be as slick as the HTC's enhancements. I wish their Sense UI stuff was available for the Droid.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    From what I understand you'll be able to load the Eris rom onto the Droid once it gets rooted.
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid X
    Hopefully, someone here will post the files and "how to's" as they do in the BB world. I've been hacking BlackBerries for a number of years and I'm brand new to the Android world... But darn it if I'm not loving it!
    I thought I was wrong once... But I was mistaken.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    In all honesty I really like simple, and so I love the simplistic interface of the vanilla android os, but like some one already mentioned if you want to root your android you could load the eris os into your droid, so you will get that slick look and faster hardware
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Note 3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roxito View Post
    The scrolling of the desktop screens was also smoother on the Eris. Love the way you unlock the screen on it.

Do you feel the vanilla android 2.0 with all the spit polishing will ever be as slick as the HTC's enhancements. I wish their Sense UI stuff was available for the Droid.
    The reasoning is that the droid allows for all customization, where as with the HTC, they have already taken some of the customization for you. The user interface is decent but not my style.
    Resistance is futile.

On 11/16/2009 DroidNet Became Aware
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    droid
    DroidForums.net Developer
    I was impressed with the eris in the store as well. But....BUT.....

It doesn't have a real keyboard. I didn't like the positioning of the camera. The way my hand would sit would cover it if I were typing. No google navigation like we have ont he droid.

The ui may be smoother but there are tons of home replacments for that. The processor is slower and in tests much slower. The battery life is no better. 320x480 resolution. It only comes with an 8gig card. I know its easy to upgrade but that is an extra cost. It will almost put you at the cost of the droid if you get it online.
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID
    I was actually going to buy the Eris, but the three main features I wanted with a smartphone...Good camera WITH flash, turn by turn GPS and the ability to teather (soon to come i hope)...

Didnt want the physical keyboard at first, but when i seen the droid still had the digital qwerety I knew having the physical would only be a benifit.

anyways, the eris is nice, but DAM i love the droid, i cant put it down...
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Here is what you can do to slick up the Droid, all from the Market.

Get the latest PandaHome that has the Droid fix.
    Get the Aero skin and get rid of the ugly Pandahome themes.
    Download Beautiful Widgets and install the Beautiful Home flip clock.
    Then change the background. The one default brown background that comes with the phone looks great with the cool flip clock/wx app.

You don't have to use PandaHome. It was just the one I liked best.
    I'm sure there are other ways to do it as well.

I bought one of my managers the Eris, and she absolutely loves it. It is a great phone, but I like my Droid. Especially after making it more Eris like.
    Last edited by m3scott; 11-23-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links