DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: google map/nav question

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid
    But you were referring to the blue arrow. The one I touched was in the upper left.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Kitten Feet View Post
    Oh damn. I want a view like that without have to put a route in. Just a "follow me" feature.
    There are several things I would like to see added to GPS/Navigation.

1. The follow me feature. I'd like to have the map face the direction I am going instead of North always top while in Map mode.

2. In Navigation mode, it would be nice to set avoidances. Like avoid toll roads.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid
    If you toggle that arrow in the upper left it will go into a mode that is 3d and moves in the direction you are driving. you apparently have to program a route though so that kinda sucks. I too hate how the map mode always faces north. my brain doesn't sift through data like that.

you could trick it by programming a route but disregard the destination. turn the voice off so it doesn't annoy you. This way it is a 'follow me' mode that follows your path so the 'always north' issue is gone.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by vthokies1996 View Post
    There are several things I would like to see added to GPS/Navigation.

1. The follow me feature. I'd like to have the map face the direction I am going instead of North always top while in Map mode.

2. In Navigation mode, it would be nice to set avoidances. Like avoid toll roads.
    For #1 -- From this post: Another work around option is to set a location a few hundred feet from where you are. Once you reach the location the map will change to Google Street View. There should be an arrow in the bottom left corner, and when you hit that you will return the the "Follow Me Map". As long as you only hit that arrow, and not the back button it should continue to follow you around. The only glitch I found was when you are stopped, it will return to the bird's eye view, but as soon as you start moving again it will return to the following mode.

For #2 -- the latest Maps update adds this option, either in the Maps app (When you're the black screen that shows the turn-by-turn text directions, click Menu, then select Options), or in the Navigation app itself (Click on the gears icon in the Route Info screen).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links