DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Securing the Droid

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Securing the Droid

Hello to all,
    Couldn't find a post on securing the Droid other than what was posted about the 2.1 security flaw with the gesture feature. I'm curious what most of the users do for security incase the phone is lost. I had a near cardiac moment the other day while leaving the theatre. Realized my phone wasn't in the holster and started to panic. Went back to my seat to locate it and couldn't. Started to panic more. Had to wait for the credits to finish before the lights would come back on so I could finish looking for it. More panic time. It was during these near cardiac arrest moments that I realized how lazy/foolish I have been with the security of the phone. I know there is the gesture feature but wonder how secure it is. If I lose the phone would someone be able to get past it with ease? Would a phone reset just reset the phone to factory settings? What kind of security measures should I take with the sd card? I don't mind losing the phone just don't want the finder to have access to all of my personal contacts, photos and other private information.
    Any help and guidance would be appreciated.
    God Bless.

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Toro
    I personally use Mobile Defense. If you lose your phone go on the web and lock it down! Available on the market!
    Attached Images  
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Re: Securing the Droid

I also use mobile defense. It also has locating functionality.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Loved my original Droid with a Sourcery ROM.
    Liked my Thunderbolt, but would have loved it with a Sourcery ROM.
    Love my Galaxy Nexus rocking a Sourcery ROM the most!
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 1- rooted
    WaveSecure for me. Remote lock down/wipe, plus notifications on unauthorized access. It also provides some backup functions, which is nice to have as well.

https://www.wavesecure.com/wavesecure/android.aspx
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by bford64 View Post
    I know there is the gesture feature but wonder how secure it is.
    If your gesture is on the glass in your finger grease then it's not very secure.

Definitely get an app to remotely lock/wipe/locate. Just be aware that these types of apps are easily bypassed if the person finding it knows anything about smartphones. Don't count on it and consider it a bonus layer of security. I don't know of any that will protect your SD card. The finder could easily just remove the SD card and read it via an SD card reader.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by EbE404 View Post
    WaveSecure for me. Remote lock down/wipe, plus notifications on unauthorized access. It also provides some backup functions, which is nice to have as well.

https://www.wavesecure.com/wavesecure/android.aspx
    Hi EbE404,
    Thanks for the recommendation. Do note that if you have a rooted phone, you can make WaveSecure hard reset proof by installing it as a system app. It lets you switch on GPS automatically, even when it is off.

Thanks,
    cheewee
    Team WaveSecure
    www.wavesecure.com
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 1- rooted
    Quote Originally Posted by cheewee View Post
    Do note that if you have a rooted phone, you can make WaveSecure hard reset proof by installing it as a system app. It lets you switch on GPS automatically, even when it is off.

Thanks,
    cheewee
    Team WaveSecure
    www.wavesecure.com
    Interesting, I didn't know that. I've been thinking about rooting, and that might just be the final push. Thanks for the info.

Links