DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the heck... Droid Incredible has built in tethering????

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid

Question What the heck... Droid Incredible has built in tethering????

Okay so I just read a review online about the 10 ways the new Incredible kills the Iphone and in the review the first thing listed is the ability to tether? Can anyone confirm this? The reviewer states that to enable this feature ypou must go into setting and check the "Enable Broadband Connection" setting and that it gave him the ability to tether and saves him 35 a month cause he can cancel his aircard contract. I would have thought this would have been made quite a big deal on release or at least in this forum! He could totally not know what he is talking about so that's why I'm asking here. Someone please confirm or debunk this!

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    The Incredible does have "built-in" tethering. However, use of the device for tethering requires the user to have a broadband access data plan (i.e. "Mobile Broadband Connect") with Verizon which adds another $30 to a user's bill. If the reviewer is correct about his aircard contract, he can save $5 a month.
    Curmudgeon Member of Rescue Squad
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Okay thanks that makes a little more sense! Still I hadn't heard much about this at all when it was released. Sucks they give the Pre owners that feature for free but run it up on us Android users!
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidHoff View Post
    Okay thanks that makes a little more sense! Still I hadn't heard much about this at all when it was released. Sucks they give the Pre owners that feature for free but run it up on us Android users!
    And I can buy a much better house in Oklahoma for the same money I pay in Seattle. But then I'd have to live in Oklahoma. (And yes, I've lived in Oklahoma.)
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Droid 2.1
    You have to have the $30 data plan(verizon at least) for the droid anyway. On top of that, if you want a broadband connection for a laptop, you'll need a $35 data plan with an aircard. So tethering is a huge deal. Little upset as I just got my droid a week or two before I heard of the Incredible
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by zgrachan View Post
    Little upset as I just got my droid a week or two before I heard of the Incredible
    So you have (or had) 3 more weeks to return, right?
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by zgrachan View Post
    You have to have the $30 data plan(verizon at least) for the droid anyway. On top of that, if you want a broadband connection for a laptop, you'll need a $35 data plan with an aircard. So tethering is a huge deal. Little upset as I just got my droid a week or two before I heard of the Incredible
    I think if you check the url below you'll understand what's happening. If you want to tether your Incredible it will cost you $25 per month (reduced from $30 "for a limited time.")

So for a device like the Incredible you're paying $30 for the "unlimited data plan" required for all smartphones plus $25 per month for "Mobile Broadband Connect" for up to 5 gigabytes per month tethered to some other device, e.g. a laptop/desktop/etc. In other words, $55-$60 per month.

If you have a netbook/laptop/aircard/etc that acts as a standalone device connected to the internet through the Verizon 3G network, it will cost you $60 ($59.95) per month. This plan also include VZW "hot spot" access, presumably to allow your connection to serve as a hub.

There is, however, both a confusing aspect to all of this and a "gotcha" that isn't clearly spelled out.

The confusing aspect is that Verizon also has a $10 per month (reduced for a limited time from $15) that appears to apply to "Android" devices and provides the same features as the $25/$30 per month plan. This appears to be a plan for non-smartphone Android and BlackBerry devices. As far as I know, however, there are no such animals.

The "gotcha" is that all of these plans put a 5 gigabyte limit on traffic. That is in stark contrast to the "unlimited" data plan you must purchase with any smartphone.

So what it amounts to is that if you DON'T tether your phone, your data access is unlimited. If you DO tether your phone, that access is limited to 5 gigs before additional charges apply. Just how Verizon plans to tell the difference between data being downloaded to a tethered device versus to a standalone device is a matter of conjecture.

Verizon Wireless - Mobile Broadband - Plans
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Maxx
    When I had my WiMo phones (Moto Q and Samsung Saga) the additional monthly tethering charge was $15.00 on top of the data plan. I think they give you a break (or used to) when you have both on the same line/device.
    Moto Droid Maxx... Stock... for now!
    Moto Droid Razr... 4.1.2 JB OTA installed and rooted using Matt's Utility... Thanks Matt!

Moto Xoom WiFi ... 4.2.2 JB Ported by Dreamcwli

Moto Sliver Bluetooth

Moto S11-Flex HD Wireless Stereo Headphones... Thanks Droid Forums!
  11. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoDrtRider View Post
    When I had my WiMo phones (Moto Q and Samsung Saga) the additional monthly tethering charge was $15.00 on top of the data plan. I think they give you a break (or used to) when you have both on the same line/device.
    That's my recollection as well, but it's been awhile. But if you look at the pricing on the website noted above, you'll see that if you're paying the $29.95 unlimited access data plan required for "all" smartphones, you must purchase the more expensive ($25-$30) tethering plan. Very confusing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links